PDA

View Full Version : Pro-strength Octane Booster Nulon

warwick108
26-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey all..I know you can put these octane boosters in cars that require 95ron, and this is generally made for remote area's where 95ron is not provided.. I'm just wondering.. would it damaged the engine if i put it in the fd1? I am planning to put 98ron plus this, which will give me around 101ron..?

aaronng
27-03-2009, 07:09 AM
You will end up with less power, more spark plug fouling and maybe even worse fuel consumption because your engine will not take advantage of the added octane rating.

Why do you want to add octane booster to 98 RON? 98 RON alone is already more than enough for your car which has the ECU programmed for 91 RON.

Coldie
02-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Dont bother with any of the octane boosters on the market. I remember 5th Gear did a test on may different types/makes of these additives and none of them gave any more horsepower/torque. In fact - most of them reduced the power and I think only one made no difference - equal performance with/without it.

One of the members on here did an independant test on many of the fuels available here in Oz for, i think, one of the major fuel companies. The results are:
1. Mobil 8000 - 98ron
2. BP Ultimate - 98ron (Sometimes bought from Mobil)
Cant remember the others - I only use Mobil 8000 and never looked back.

EP3EVA
03-04-2009, 03:05 PM
unless yours a JDM FD2R.....

In Japan they use 98ron+

aaronng
03-04-2009, 03:14 PM
unless yours a JDM FD2R.....

In Japan they use 98ron+

Octane booster increases resistance to knock. It doesn't give more performance directly. If you can take advantage of the increased resistance, then you can make more power by cramming more air and fuel in.

Mirage
07-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Say your car requires 95oct and there is none available.
Would this boost 91oct to 95oct?

aaronng
07-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Say your car requires 95oct and there is none available.
Would this boost 91oct to 95oct?

It should. Check how many octane points it is worth. If you can find 95 RON ethanol blend, that would be better than 91 RON + octane booster.

AP1 F20c
08-04-2009, 09:40 AM
At approximately $20 - $25 a bottle where the price has never dropped, only increased. I don't see alot of true followers, filling at every opportunity.

To take advantage of running higher octane numbers, you are required to run a full aftermarket ECU. Your specific engine tune is generally only achieved on-dyno, running exactly the particular fuel you want the tune to be applied.

To retain the same power output, you obviously need to continue using that exact particular fuel mixture.

Reiterating from Aaron, factory ECUs for Honda are either tuned to 91 RON or 95 RON only. Hence using 98 RON is more than sufficient.

There was actually an AU specific market test on "off-the-shelf" available octane boosters (The thread/article link was posted in ClubITR AU. And this happens to be the one of the only ones that actually works in comparison with everything else.

You can use this product to compensate and produce 100 RON from a combination of 98 RON + Pro-Strength Octane Booster simutaneously.

Does it work? Yes, I've been using it for more than 6 years consistently in a high boosted FI S2000. The engine was recently checked for premature wear, happy to report there are no issues.

To answer the OP's question, no you won't damage your engine from running higher RON octane. But you won't be capitalizing on any gains either. This is a moot product for factory spec engines.