PDA

View Full Version : Rev Cut at 4k - 5k rpm on Cold Engine

cymax
27-03-2009, 08:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone out there has any idea if there would be rev cut at about 4000 - 5000 rpm on cold engine? I was slightly late for work this morning and rushed off from my garage with a cold engine (I usually warm my car before I leave). However, when the rev reaches 4000-5000, the rev starts to cut at about 4k - 5k mark.

I haven't try reving it hard after when the car is warmed up.
Reason being:
1) I don't have much fuel left
2) Afraid that the engine might blow :P

I'm driving a DC5R with K20A2 and stock ECU with VAFC 2 in it.

Does honda ECU has this feature? Rev cut on cold start?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

tRipitaka
27-03-2009, 09:42 AM
honda sets a rev limit when the engine is cold to stop people like you damaging their engines.

cymax
27-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks and appreciate the advice. I knew that someone like you will give such remarkable advice.

Cheers.

markoJEK1
28-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Hot or cold, the K series motors dont let you rev past 5000rpm in neutral

VTi_b0i
28-03-2009, 05:18 PM
honda sets a rev limit when the engine is cold to stop people like you damaging their engines.

LMFAO! that is fcuking brilliant!

seihoa
28-03-2009, 05:19 PM
that means u cant hit vtec when the engine is cold =(
what if it was an emergency no vtec ='(

markoJEK1
28-03-2009, 05:45 PM
If motors cold vtec wont kick in , just like in any other vtec motor, the problem he is talking about is rev cut the K series has when in neutral. Bad luck if you have an 'emergency'

JDM.Power
28-03-2009, 06:55 PM
If motors cold vtec wont kick in , just like in any other vtec motor, the problem he is talking about is rev cut the K series has when in neutral. Bad luck if you have an 'emergency'

yerpp
even the corolla sportivo. similar stories.... no point giving it, unless your engine oil is hot, if the oil aint sticking enuf to your internals which will lead to damage and spun bearings.. then gg.:thumbdwn:

mrwillz
29-03-2009, 11:01 AM
it doesnt take long to get the temp up if you drive normally, eg. 2k gear changes for the engine to warm up
lol

ndeuro_
29-03-2009, 07:12 PM
vtec = pos

trism
29-03-2009, 08:54 PM
warming a car up is the worse thing you can do, for a few reasons, if you have a search youll find them all, but here is a quick run down

1. idling causes fuel wash. the excess fuel in the cylinder not being burnt literally washes the oil off the cylinder walls, removing lubrication
2. emissions control devices, specifically the catalytic convertor work when heated up. idling the car isnt going to heat it up, so for the 5 minutes its warming up all the toxic nastys are spewing out the exhaust.
3. youre wasting fuel warming up. the ecu automatically supplies more fuel when cold to prevent stalling. thus wasting petrol (and causing fuel wash)
4. you sit there for 5 mins warming the engine up thinking youre sweet, then pull out and give it a hit thinking its all fine. well its not. where does the power go through before it hits the wheels? the gearbox/rest of the drivetrain. you hit it, and your 'box is cold still and you cause wear on the drivetrain.

thats a basic run down on why its not necessary. simply get in, start the car up and drive away, taking it easy until the temp reaches operating temperature, that way everything warms up at the same time and you dont damage anything

Gio
30-03-2009, 02:39 PM
as above.