PDA

View Full Version : DC5 Spoon Torque Damper

TypeR Lover
27-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Anyone used the Spoon Torque damper before? I just got mine fitted but the hydraulic cylinder seems abit too stiff and is pretty much transferring all the engine vibration to the chassis.

I'm sure the damper can be adjusted to allow more movement in the cylinder so that less vibration is transferred to the chassis. Any1 know how?

Lowa
27-03-2009, 11:36 PM
defeats the purpose of having there in the first place?

EP3EVA
28-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Anyone used the Spoon Torque damper before? I just got mine fitted but the hydraulic cylinder seems abit too stiff and is pretty much transferring all the engine vibration to the chassis.

I'm sure the damper can be adjusted to allow more movement in the cylinder so that less vibration is transferred to the chassis. Any1 know how?

what you mean by too stiff?? my hydraulic cylinder can still move left/rite with my hand, they have ball joint on top and bottom.

and yours move by hand?? how long has it been install?

Type S Tony
30-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Make sure its set in the correct direction and not back to front!

Tai
30-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Engine vibration to the chasis with stiffer mounts of ETD is normal.

either live with it or don't use it at all.

There is usually some sacrifice in comfort for performance.

VTECMACHINE
30-03-2009, 02:48 PM
LOL... that's the point.

DoAvl
30-03-2009, 07:48 PM
mine was making things rattle like crazy in the engine bay... though it did drive a whole lot better. i think the problem was either the hood latch is a bit loose, causing it to vibrate against the hood; or the damper is on the wrong way around, but i can't take it off the ball joint to switch it around. anyone know how (one side is alan key and one side is a bolt)?

i took it off to investigate the noises. will put it back on s(p)ooooon!

tectalk
31-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Make sure its set in the correct direction and not back to front!

Tony The Tank engine!

Bludger
03-04-2009, 07:17 AM
mine was making things rattle like crazy in the engine bay... though it did drive a whole lot better. i think the problem was either the hood latch is a bit loose, causing it to vibrate against the hood; or the damper is on the wrong way around, but i can't take it off the ball joint to switch it around. anyone know how (one side is alan key and one side is a bolt)?

i took it off to investigate the noises. will put it back on s(p)ooooon!

LOL, thats the most lame thing i have ever heard in my 5 years here

lmfao

are you sure you don't know how to undo it???

its just 1 bolt on either end...........

one last thing, its not a hydraulic cylinder.

take it apart to find out.......

DoAvl
05-04-2009, 03:00 PM
hahaha, yes it was lame. :o but i'm posting in a honda dedicated forum... that gives me a license to be as lame as I want :cool:

i'm probably trying to undo it wrong; tried having an alan key to hold it on one side, then using a wrench on the other... but no avail. Haven't really had the time to get back to it, might try next (long) weekend when I have some time to spare.

Bludger
05-04-2009, 03:06 PM
it takes 5 to 10 mins to put it on and take it back off.

you're just lazy and feeling incompetant.

just give it a go.

you sure you're turning the bolt the right way to undo it?

put some muscle into it.

cos what you said.......... Allen key + wrench/spanner is correct.

mystic
05-04-2009, 07:19 PM
I had the Type S version but if they are the same I'm pretty sure you can rotate the yellew/bronze part of it, ie making it longer will reduce the amount of vibrations and making it shorter will increase it.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/jdmconcept-com-au/spoon/spoonetddc5.jpg

Bludger
05-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I had the Type S version but if they are the same I'm pretty sure you can rotate the yellew/bronze part of it, ie making it longer will reduce the amount of vibrations and making it shorter will increase it.

IMO, it should be adjusted tight.

If not, I believe it will wear quickly.

Teggy S
09-05-2009, 12:02 AM
The damper sure stiffens the car heaps but off course in the sacrifice of some vibrations. I quite like it.

Tai
14-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Engien torque damper stifens engine movements.

It doesnt stiffen the car.

PeppeX
16-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Just got a j's racing torque damper second hand. Are both ball joints suppose to pivot freely? Only one of mine is pivoting. I have tried WD40 but had no luck.