PDA

View Full Version : Accord seats

bindi
27-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I have a new 08 Honda Accord v6, but only after 1300k'ms I find the drivers seat unbearably uncomfortable, it has this large hard bulge in the middle of the backrest just above the adjustable lumbar support, I find that I am continually trying to adjust my driving position to ease this, after an hour or so my back is aching, this is inexcusable bad design for a brand new car, this car may be going back to the dealers for resale, nevermind the rattling doors and drivetrain whine.
Very disappointed in my first Honda.

30-03-2009, 03:15 AM
what is ur body build?

complain with them! and dotn complain to dealer go straight to aus honda!
isnt the buldge adjustable?

Rudy
30-03-2009, 12:29 PM
You can retract with the seat controls, if its the one i think you are talking about.

hubertd
30-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Bindi, I had exactly the same problem as you. That bulge just above the lumbar support is so annoying. At first I thought that was the lumbar support itself. Anyways, I've had the car for two weeks now and I think I'm starting to get used to it. No back aching in the last week or so.

bindi
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Incomprehensible they could let a seat design like this be released, anybody would think it's a racing type seat, but certainly not suitable for a family sedan, I will try contacting Honda Aust about this, anyone know the best people to contact?, I even thought about opening up the seat and having a look at the webbing etc to see if I could reshape or loosen it some, this is so poor I really cannot believe it.

01-04-2009, 08:28 PM
call the aus honda hotline! is the best way to contact

bindi
04-04-2009, 10:48 PM
call the aus honda hotline! is the best way to contact

Well, I don't know if it's the hotline or not, but went to Honda's site--"contact us" bit and filled in my concerns, so will await any answer from Honda

bindi
08-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Well, I received a reply from Honda--
"We will be passing this to the relevant department"
OH well, I guess I'm stuck with this uncomfortable car, but I won't, it's going to be offloaded.
First and last Honda

Rudy
08-04-2009, 12:27 AM
You didnt find this out when test driving the car?

aaronng
08-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Try extending the lumbar support out a bit so that it is more in line with the protruding section.

bindi
08-04-2009, 10:57 AM
You didnt find this out when test driving the car?

No, unfortunately it didn't become apparent until I did a trip of 1 hour or so, I guess I was more focused on the engine/drivetrain when I test drove the car for 15 minutes or so, I must say I have never had a car that gave me a backache before, so I guess I will have to wait and see if anything comes from my contact with Honda but I don't think much will come of it, it's just a design flaw, the people who designed these seats must of thought they were building a race car--which the Accord certainly isn't.

Rudy
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
No, unfortunately it didn't become apparent until I did a trip of 1 hour or so, I guess I was more focused on the engine/drivetrain when I test drove the car for 15 minutes or so, I must say I have never had a car that gave me a backache before, so I guess I will have to wait and see if anything comes from my contact with Honda but I don't think much will come of it, it's just a design flaw, the people who designed these seats must of thought they were building a race car--which the Accord certainly isn't.

Are you 100% certain it isnt the lumbar support thats controlled by the side buttons? Maybe when they gave you the car they had it in the fully extended position. I know when I played around with that and it was extended I found it very awkward, and when i retract it all the way, no problems. If not, have you played around with all the seat positions? I know you probably have but just want to be sure. Its just that i havnt heard this particular complaint about the accord before. Hope it all works out though!

bindi
08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Are you 100% certain it isnt the lumbar support thats controlled by the side buttons? Maybe when they gave you the car they had it in the fully extended position. I know when I played around with that and it was extended I found it very awkward, and when i retract it all the way, no problems. If not, have you played around with all the seat positions? I know you probably have but just want to be sure. Its just that i havnt heard this particular complaint about the accord before. Hope it all works out though!

Tried everything, it's possibly because I'm not a tall person or very heavy--which might be making the seats so uncomfortable, possibly a heavier person would make this bulge compress more, as it is I am sitting perched on the seat not in it

aware
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
You obviously have a Friday afternoon built car. I have none of these problems, and with 9000kms done, absolutely love this car.

No drivetrain whine, no rattling doors, no seat bulge, this car is fantastic. Hope you get it sorted though, and don't offload it. What would you buy if you offloaded it anyway?

bindi
10-04-2009, 12:50 AM
You obviously have a Friday afternoon built car. I have none of these problems, and with 9000kms done, absolutely love this car.

No drivetrain whine, no rattling doors, no seat bulge, this car is fantastic. Hope you get it sorted though, and don't offload it. What would you buy if you offloaded it anyway?

I presently have gone back to driving my old AU Falcon, and if Honda did allow these so called Friday afternoon built cars on the market--it's a damning insult to their customers, my car with only 1500k's on the clock has all these faults, and I have informed Honda directly of all of them, it would be a waste of time going through the dealer--not a peep out of them so far, so you may be correct, maybe they do allow Friday afternoon cars built by some disinterested assemblers to bypass even laxer quality controllers, I am not happy at all with this apparently thrown together vehicle, how your seats differ from mine is a mystery.

Euro08Jaz
10-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Well you have every right to have your car brought within spec, if you can compare the differences between your accord and other i cant see why they would'nt rectify the problem.

Perhaps see if you could test drive another accord?

bindi
10-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Well you have every right to have your car brought within spec, if you can compare the differences between your accord and other i cant see why they would'nt rectify the problem.

Perhaps see if you could test drive another accord?

Thats a good idea, never thought about that, maybe then I could have something to compare mine with.
Regards.

Rudy
11-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Thats a good idea, never thought about that, maybe then I could have something to compare mine with.
Regards.

Great idea, let us know how it goes:)

Burley
12-04-2009, 04:29 PM
hi there i used to work as a trimmer in newcastle a year ago for 4 years, used to get in brand new hondas and fords etc with the same issue....take it back complain they will prob send it to a trimmer to get fixed, we used to either find wires that held the cover into position wasnt held down properly, so we just used to put few more hog rings in the hold, and even sometimes we used to add a few more layers of foam, the owners were stoked, thought it was better than ever. this may or may not help with the seat issue, hope it does tho

bindi
13-04-2009, 10:55 AM
hi there i used to work as a trimmer in newcastle a year ago for 4 years, used to get in brand new hondas and fords etc with the same issue....take it back complain they will prob send it to a trimmer to get fixed, we used to either find wires that held the cover into position wasnt held down properly, so we just used to put few more hog rings in the hold, and even sometimes we used to add a few more layers of foam, the owners were stoked, thought it was better than ever. this may or may not help with the seat issue, hope it does tho

Hi Burley,
Thanks for that, so it's not just me then, Honda must be very aware of this issue, so to continue to let their cars out with such a poorly designed seats isn't to their credit at all. In any further talks with Honda, maybe it might be worth referring them to this forum thread.
Regards.

Riviera
17-04-2009, 07:38 PM
:wave: hey bindi, i think you brother bought my CD5 VTi'S accord seats in the grey leather

hows he going modifying them to fit, is it working out???

you should just buy a CD5 accord, theyre the best

paulh
04-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I have a new 08 Honda Accord v6, but only after 1300k'ms I find the drivers seat unbearably uncomfortable, it has this large hard bulge in the middle of the backrest just above the adjustable lumbar support, I find that I am continually trying to adjust my driving position to ease this, after an hour or so my back is aching, this is inexcusable bad design for a brand new car, this car may be going back to the dealers for resale, nevermind the rattling doors and drivetrain whine.
Very disappointed in my first Honda.

My new Honda has the same problem. I think the issue is the lumbar support is too high up the seat for short people (I'm 5'6 1/2"). If I put about 2" of padding on the seat, then the bulge is in the small of my back and the seat then becomes more comfortable. Not sure that's the best solution though, as the heated seat becomes worthless.

Burley, is this type of repair invisible in so much as stitching matching etc? I'm assuming you can reuse the existing leather and not have to add any additional leather? And that it can be done on leather seats with heating in them...?

bindi
07-07-2009, 08:13 PM
My new Honda has the same problem. I think the issue is the lumbar support is too high up the seat for short people (I'm 5'6 1/2"). If I put about 2" of padding on the seat, then the bulge is in the small of my back and the seat then becomes more comfortable. Not sure that's the best solution though, as the heated seat becomes worthless.

Burley, is this type of repair invisible in so much as stitching matching etc? I'm assuming you can reuse the existing leather and not have to add any additional leather? And that it can be done on leather seats with heating in them...?

Hi,
The Honda dealer suggested I put a cushion on the seat just like you mentioned, and to his credit suggested if this helped any he would put me in touch with motor trimmers in Perth, and let them go through it with me and get back to him with a quote. He did say it would be up to Honda to approve or not.
No more Honda's for me, in six months I still only have done 2500k's, I drive my old car in preference to this pig of a car.

ps., he suggested that the bottom of the seat may need bolstering to alleviate this, obviously the backrest with it's ridiculous inbuilt lumbar brick is too hard to fix cheaply.

paulh
08-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Well, that's something. It definitely helps to be up that couple of inches, and explains why others don't find it an issue, they're taller than us. But it does beg the question - what is the lump in the seat in the first place...
I wonder if the seat bolstering can be done in such a way the heating function still works.
Apart from the seat, I'm generally happy with mine. I think Honda can make lemons like other manufacturers can.

paulh
14-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Hmmm. For anyone interested, it seems the uncomfortable seats in the 08/09 accord are well known, with alot of disgruntled Honda owners. Just do a google search on 'accord uncomfortable' - heaps of posts. Many didn't pick up on test drive either.
So I don't think it's just a few people here and there.
Pity I didn't find out about this before purchase, although I did do alot of google searches on Accord V6.
And the issue seems to be the lack of padding combined with the active head restraint system.
It's going to be interesting at the first service...

bindi
26-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Well, after six months of complaints to both the dealer and Honda Australia I got their final answer--

Our seats are to spec and we recommend that you do not alter or change them, and if you do it will be at your own expense and no warranty will apply re appearance or functionality, as we do not cater for individuals who make complaints, what a bloody bunch Honda is, denying an obvious design flaw.

FIRST and LAST HONDA I will ever purchase, nice $40k car ruined for the sake of $30 worth of padding, they know this but will not admit it.

STUFF HONDA AUSTRALIA--your car is too uncomfortable, so will be sold at only six months old with about 3000k on the clock, never again will I waste my time trying to deal reasonably with people from Honda who do not give two hoots.

Danzvtil
10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey Bindi. do you have an update or sold ur car?
We had the same issue with our car, but got used to it after the first week. The seats on ur AU would be well and truly worn in and plenty soft, stepping into the honda leather could be a struggle for some ppl.

obsessionz
10-06-2010, 11:45 PM
I have an Accord Euro Sports and i find the bottom of the base is very uncomfortable... my hips get really sore from the side bolsters they are really hard and firm...