PDA

View Full Version : 97 Civic loosing coolant - advice please

mycxi
28-03-2009, 11:09 AM
I have a coolant leak in my 97 Civic CXI. I can see bright green coolant that has run down to the bottom of the sump, so can someone give me an idea of where I might look for the source. I can't see a thing. Now I now why I love my fords, so easy to track leaks!!

Oh, while I'm here I'll ask - where on earth is the oil filter, I can't find it for the life of me?

Thanks!

OMG.JAI xD
28-03-2009, 12:48 PM
lol.

Fords.
Bud your civic cxi would be easier to work on any ford any day.

Oil filter is in the back of the block. Just above the intermediate driveshaft (i think. But theres a driveshaft there).

Theres massive room to get your hand in there with a tool. And they ever only need hand tightness.

And as for leaks. Get it pressure tested. Top up. Radiator cap off and bang. You found your self a leak.

mycxi
28-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks. Plenty of room in the ford though. These things are cramped for man hands!

For starters I can get the spark plugs out with a standard plug tool or a socket. Lucky I found I did have a long 5/8 socket. And MAN where they bad. Burnt up on the start of the white even, plus they were 'Champion' plugs. Grrrr. I think that was Ultratune that did that.

I stuck a torch under, and it looks like the leak it might be from whatever it is just above the sump at the bottom of the motor. Will have to check out a drawing of the motor to see what it is there.

Thanks

seihoa
28-03-2009, 05:18 PM
water pump?

mycxi
28-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Still yet to find a diagram that makes it clear what its from. Hopefully only minor and cheap considering the lack of use the things had. Just hit 60,000k.

The only drip I can see is bottom of the passengers side, above the sump, closest to the firewall.

EK1.6LCIV
31-03-2009, 12:52 PM
has anyone changed the hoses? and is the reserve emptying itself and by how much after you top it up?

mycxi
31-03-2009, 01:09 PM
No, hoses are original. If the water pump is under the grey cover at the passenger side of the motor, I'd say its that. I've read if I get that done I should get the timing belt done at the same time? Its a 97 model with 60,000 so I don't know if I should wait for the belt a little longer or get it done to save potential drama. Honda quoted $647 to do the pump, belt and labour. Non genuine pump I can get for $120, belt $80 - where is the $447 Honda are charging more than that coming from???? Shame it seems like a poo of a job to do though.

Is it easy to take off the greyish side cover to see exactly where the leak is from? Is it ok to run the car with the cover off? Not talking about the rocker cover, I mean the one that covers the belts etc down the passenger side?

shadou
31-03-2009, 01:14 PM
it is ok, but it is designed to deflect any loose objects say rock or small debris. To take it off from memory I think you do need to remove the rocker cover, get a 10mm socket and work your way from there. Try and see if it'll come off without tampering with the rocker cover and see if it'll budge... been too long since I've one off

mycxi
31-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks. Yeah it will only be run in the driveway probably. PITA if I have to take the rocker cover off though.

EK1.6LCIV
31-03-2009, 01:43 PM
No, hoses are original. If the water pump is under the grey cover at the passenger side of the motor, I'd say its that. I've read if I get that done I should get the timing belt done at the same time? Its a 97 model with 60,000 so I don't know if I should wait for the belt a little longer or get it done to save potential drama. Honda quoted $647 to do the pump, belt and labour. Non genuine pump I can get for $120, belt $80 - where is the $447 Honda are charging more than that coming from???? Shame it seems like a poo of a job to do though.

Is it easy to take off the greyish side cover to see exactly where the leak is from? Is it ok to run the car with the cover off? Not talking about the rocker cover, I mean the one that covers the belts etc down the passenger side?

I'd do both items def, you'll also need a cam seal and crank seal, may as well inspect the tension pulley while youre there (and replace) $400 is cheap for them to do, most shops would charge that anyhow as it's a PITA to do, lol

I got my belt, tension pulley, water pump and seals from ebay when the dollar was good for under 130AU, then paid a shop around $400 for the lot :D

Honda was alot more, something like $115hr, instead of $65-70hr, which is what I try and find (even tho I know an apprentice is doing the work who should in my mind be charging a rate of $30-40hr, if supervised, lol)

just pay the money, it will prob never have to be done again in your ownership and to DIY outweighs the price to have someone else do it imho

mycxi
31-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Yeah, you're right. I mean, we've had it 12yrs and 60,000 k's and had absolutely no problems with it (other than a cracked door trim arm rest - flamin honda plastic). I've done the plugs, leads, oil with synthetic 10w30, air and fuel filter. If we do the pump and belt, we can probably get by without servicing for another 12 years!!! LOL. Oh, I need to do brakes, front at least, but I'm proficient with those in the Ford so sure the Honda isn't much different. And aftermarket should be pretty cheap. DBA slotted and Bendix Ultimates you reckon? Or is that overkill on the Honda.

EK1.6LCIV
31-03-2009, 02:27 PM
yea, I wouldve went bendix on my car, but it doesnt work for my setup (something about the EJ8 calipers and the pads not lining up right), so oem pads all the way, which arent too badly priced from the dealer and mine still have heaps of meat left from constant driving over a very long non hardparked period :D

been curious on more info on brake discs, over kill would be if you wanted them cross drilled as well :p lol