PDA

View Full Version : First Honda.

Kazuya
27-10-2004, 02:14 AM
Hey guys,

First post on these forums (I think), and I'm pretty much thinking of getting a EK Civic as my mighty move from a S13 to a Honda. I just wanted to ask a few quick questions..

I've always wanted a VTEC engine, but the big question is, is it worth it? Sure the induction noise would be nice etc etc, but I'm someone who isn't really concerned with speed - would I be better off sticking with the EK CXi/GLi? Or even the VTi, just because I'd know the VTEC curiosity would haunt me :).

At the moment it seems I'm looking at EK CXi (love that shape), and doing some light tune to it - lightened flywheel, light weight reduction, full 2" exhaust system, coilovers/strut package, sways & strut bars, CAI + better flow panel filter and an angrier cam + appropriate mods (gotta love SOHC in this regard!). What I'm looking for is nice response, sorta a modded D series vs. stock B series argument here - because if I was to go the VTi-R route, I probably wouldn't bother modifying it! What would people think is better?

And before people do the whole "do a search" rant, I've gone through -every- single page of technical on these forums, and read everything of interest to me ;) So this is sorta the cut down version of all the questions I had at the start haha :). Just can't wait to get into a Honda - especially with the cost of fuel nowadays hehe.

Cheers
Kazuya

joyride
27-10-2004, 03:00 AM
get the ek4 vtir. cxi sucks d*ck. i was driving a friends stock cxi through some twisties on the weekend and it lacked everything.
those mods u listed would be suited for a better engine. u get more out of it.

panda[cRx]
27-10-2004, 05:14 AM
get a gen2 crx :D

Baopham
27-10-2004, 01:39 PM
go the EK4 VTi-R, even if u say u aint gonna mod it, u will mate.. as if u will resist modding it if u got money.. hahah yea Cxi is crappy.. the vti-r will give u good responce and good power... it may lack low end torque, but once it hits the top end.. OH dear.. love the vtec.. honda's are about the vtec bark.

Kazuya
27-10-2004, 01:54 PM
It's not that I won't mod it, its that I'll be like I SHOULDNT DONT DO IT! I'm a student again next year so I don't wanna sink too much into my car :( Thats why I'm getting outta imports, just too tempting to do stuff to it :D :D. Right now its a bit hard to source a VTi-R or even a good VTi here in Perth :(.

Z
27-10-2004, 02:11 PM
If youve got the money, get the EK4 Vti-R.

I got a Cxi mainly due to the price, and ill have to agree with joyride, it lacks.

sivic
27-10-2004, 02:28 PM
haha, your getting out of imports into hondas to stop you from sinking money into modifying? good luck ;)
but seriously go the vti-r. the extra money you'll spend on your planned mods will prob make up the difference on buying one over a cxi anyway.
the handling of a vti-r is already good plus its a lot more powerful with more potential. it will prob cost you more to milk power from the cxi than the vti-r as well.
there's are few floating around in perth, you just have to be a bit patient

Kazuya
27-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Ah, that was my other query.

CXi vs. VTi(-r) - whats different between them besides obvious engine and aesthetics. I'm talking suspension, OEM strut brace?, etc. etc. I just don't wanna throw money at a dead horse, because ideally I'd want a stock CTR, but they just don't exist here :(.

A'PEXi
27-10-2004, 04:52 PM
dont get a cxi, it lacks everything, even luxury options like power windows. doesnt have rear wheel disc brakes either i believe..... your much better off getting a ek4 vti-r like the other 2 million people have said. comes as a complete package, great engine overall, etc. vtec isnt only for speed, it actually helps fuel economy also, comes with standard strut bar as well i believe, save you trying to get all aftermarket parts fitted. although, there are of course certain factors which u can improve upon.

izzy
27-10-2004, 05:04 PM
cxis arent too bad, i have one =P

sivic
28-10-2004, 12:50 AM
yeah but if he is looking to improve on it as much as he said then the vti-r is pretty much already done for him: more power, better handling due to strut brace, thicker sway bars, better suspension (but this is bound to be replaced due to the universal desire for lower cars), better interior (seats, electrics), sunroof, far better brakes and so on........
throwing money at a CXi isn't exactly like beating a dead horse as there a plenty of examples which are quick (mostly turbo - a few in perth) but even then you would need to upgrade brakes and handling to take the extra power.
plus with a vti-r its done by honda, the most qualified ppl for the job :)

VTEC16
28-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Id sugest a VTi-R .....i love my care more than anything.... never driven a Cxi though.

mytoycivic
28-10-2004, 01:08 AM
but i guess the mods that you would need to do to the cxi to get it fast, you may as well go the vti-r and have a nice car straight away :thumbsup:

btw cxi's dont totally suck...they were designed for the daily shopper...they are great for the everyday car that doesnt draw too much attention.

:D

Kazuya
28-10-2004, 01:44 AM
Yeah, sivic pretty much sold me with his argument. Right now I'm thinking of getting the VTi-R which I -should- be happy to keep stock for a while. HOPEFULLY. :D

Damn it sucks being a Uni student again ;).

Anyone compared the SOHC VTEC engine to the B16 from the EKs though?

joyride
28-10-2004, 03:58 AM
could you repeat that last question? i didnt get it.

you want to compare a d16 (sohc vtec) to a b16 (dohc vtec)?

|N|
28-10-2004, 04:02 AM
my ride is a gli .. same as the cxi ... trust me.. u beta off gettin ek4.. vtir... u wont regret.

Kazuya
28-10-2004, 04:07 AM
joyride: Yeah thats what I meant :). I'm a little tired and I couldn't quite remember the engine number at that point :).

joyride
28-10-2004, 05:57 AM
ive driven most model EK4's (cxi, gli, vtir) and if comparing the engines, the vtir wins hands down. the vtir is much more appealing (all power options, 4 wheel disc brakes, better interior yada yada).

kazuya, if you want a cheap honda just for kicks, get the cxi. but i would rather you hold out for a vtir.

egSi
28-10-2004, 09:00 AM
no love for the budget cxi hey? :(

[[d a n n y]]
28-10-2004, 09:16 AM
mate...

CXi is a base model.

VTIR is the Top model.

it's like saying which is a better car?
SR20DE powered S13 or a SR20DET powered S13?

i think the answer is obvious

light weight mods and weight reduction in a EK4 VTIR. will be a serious weapon on the road

sivic
28-10-2004, 11:14 AM
the cxi is good for what it is, a low cost option which still gets the job done. its no slower than a gli. its still better than most other comparible options offered by other car makers.
but yeah, vti-r :thumbsup:
being a uni student also i feel ya. i always want to sink a bit more coin into my car.
though the vti-r should be able to ward this off for you longer than a cxi

Kazuya
28-10-2004, 12:29 PM
[[d a n n y]]: Nah, I wasn't asking which was the better car, because thats a really stupid question :P I was just wondering if it was worth it putting a little bit of money into the d-series equipped EKs, because I didn't want to go so hard anymore with cars.

But I guess the VTi-R has got my heart... time to find one now :D

mytoycivic
28-10-2004, 12:57 PM
good luck to you friend

SINISTR
28-10-2004, 02:11 PM
[[d a n n y]]: Nah, I wasn't asking which was the better car, because thats a really stupid question :P I was just wondering if it was worth it putting a little bit of money into the d-series equipped EKs, because I didn't want to go so hard anymore with cars.

But I guess the VTi-R has got my heart... time to find one now :D

just a couple of Cents from my side here.

If you can afford a VtiR, you will not regret its purchase from the points SIVIC said. Its all there as a good package in that little car.

you like the shape of the EK, so stick with that - just get the better modified version which is the VtiR.

M

28-10-2004, 03:17 PM
hey people...

VTI-R i fink ish the way to go.. ish just right. not to heavey not to light?

hahaha yeh i got a cxi..(ish not that bad!!! :cool: :D . but ish not that good either hahaha just normal) but mods wasnt my first intention for my car...performance etc.. for me ish nice and good enough for now...

but in your case go the vtir! or find a EK B18C etc.. if your luckie.. depends on the budget too and future plans for the car!

:honda: :thumbsup:

FR33K
28-10-2004, 03:25 PM
I've always wanted a VTEC engine, but the big question is, is it worth it? Sure the induction noise would be nice etc etc, but I'm someone who isn't really concerned with speed - would I be better off sticking with the EK CXi/GLi? Or even the VTi, just because I'd know the VTEC curiosity would haunt me :).

At the moment it seems I'm looking at EK CXi (love that shape), and doing some light tune to it - lightened flywheel, light weight reduction, full 2" exhaust system, coilovers/strut package, sways & strut bars, CAI + better flow panel filter and an angrier cam + appropriate mods (gotta love SOHC in this regard!). What I'm looking for is nice response, sorta a modded D series vs. stock B series argument here - because if I was to go the VTi-R route, I probably wouldn't bother modifying it! What would people think is better?

this is a dumb question but if your not concerned with speed then why are you planning on doing all those mods to make it quicker.. lol

Kazuya
28-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Because I've been in 400hp GT-Rs etc, and the speed doesn't interest me. Most of those mods listed were for better response etc, I'd rather have a nicely tuned, excellent response 120hp car than a really fast 5000000000000000000000000hp car that can make skirts fly ;)

joyride
29-10-2004, 01:26 AM
good luck. let us know how the car hunting goes.

Kazuya
29-10-2004, 01:45 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys, its been very helpful! :)