PDA

View Full Version : EK4 for body work soon.. opinions?

civic-dream
29-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi dudes,

Time to take in my 96' EK4 to the smash repairers for damage i've carried on the car for a bit too long now...

i thought i'd ask you guys for a bit of advice, since there's some substantial panel damage i've got to fix plus a few niggles here and there, i was contemplating whether i should go all out or not..

anyways just wondering:

1. Is a 96 EJ civic coupe front bumper bar a direct replacement for a 96 ek4?
2. Is a 99 EK hatch rear bumper bar a direct replacement too?
3. If i was to get a EK9 style rear lip and install it, would I have to modify the placement of my standard EK4 muffler? e.g. i've noticed the muffler tip should fit snuggly underneath the lil cutout already in the EK9 rear lip.

4. If i was to get rid of the side bumper stips completely, do the panel beaters need shut the holes left over with metal plates or can they just bog it up and paint over?, if they need to shut them do you think it'll be much more expensive?

I'm pretty sure you guys can now picture the kind of look i'm going for, I've already for an OEM SIR front lip and EK9 style grill and i personally really like the look, clean and simple..

tiksie
29-03-2009, 11:23 PM
4. If i was to get rid of the side bumper stips completely, do the panel beaters need shut the holes left over with metal plates or can they just bog it up and paint over?, if they need to shut them do you think it'll be much more expensive?

They can weld it or bog it up.

Obviously welding is more expensive then bogging up.

If you bog it or weld it, it will both look the same BUT bog will crack not long after getting it done especially when your covering a hole with it and it's preety dodgy to do that anyway.

I could've done it when I did my car but I despise bog lol and I don't have a oxy to weld :( I would've been all over it.

If you do get it welded, make sure you see weld marks around the welding plates before they paint it, I've heard of people paying top dollar to get something welded and later noticing the bog coming back up through the paint.

vinnY
29-03-2009, 11:38 PM
1. yes 96-98 ej8 front bar is basically the same as the ek4 bar without the crash protectors
2. yes all ek hatch rear bars are interchangable
3. afaik yes, the ek9 rear lip should clear a stock muffler tip without any troubles

29-03-2009, 11:47 PM
1 & 2 = yes

3 - probably. not sure

4.. you want a flat shaved look? it can look very flat without the moulds. you should sum up if its worth the money..

just colour code evrything when you spray the car and get clean bumpers.

rawr
30-03-2009, 12:48 AM
imo colour coding mouldings isnt as good as getting rid of them, as above has said EJ8 front bumper and 99+ rear bumpers are interchangeable without any modifications to the chassis or bumper. But colour code your side mouldings, mirrors, number plate surround & side skirts and if ur going for a full respray might as well shave ur rear wiper off too :)

EK1.6LCIV
30-03-2009, 09:28 AM
1. Is a 96 EJ civic coupe front bumper bar a direct replacement for a 96 ek4? yep, first mod imo for the ek4, lol
2. Is a 99 EK hatch rear bumper bar a direct replacement too? yep, 2nd mod for the ek4 imo :D
3. If i was to get a EK9 style rear lip and install it, would I have to modify the placement of my standard EK4 muffler? e.g. i've noticed the muffler tip should fit snuggly underneath the lil cutout already in the EK9 rear lip. If it doesnt fit, would cost next to nothing to have an exhaust shop relocate the line of the exhaust :D

bog is a cheap option, most will want to weld it up as it'll be alot cleaner finish (but cost alot more)

I think the stock thin moulding look good if you get them painted instead, plus if you do hit something like a pole they're easier to fix than say, a whole door, just my opinion :D

Henessaayyy
30-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi dudes,

Time to take in my 96' EK4 to the smash repairers for damage i've carried on the car for a bit too long now...

i thought i'd ask you guys for a bit of advice, since there's some substantial panel damage i've got to fix plus a few niggles here and there, i was contemplating whether i should go all out or not..

anyways just wondering:

1. Is a 96 EJ civic coupe front bumper bar a direct replacement for a 96 ek4?
2. Is a 99 EK hatch rear bumper bar a direct replacement too?
3. If i was to get a EK9 style rear lip and install it, would I have to modify the placement of my standard EK4 muffler? e.g. i've noticed the muffler tip should fit snuggly underneath the lil cutout already in the EK9 rear lip.

I'm pretty sure you guys can now picture the kind of look i'm going for, I've already for an OEM SIR front lip and EK9 style grill and i personally really like the look, clean and simple..

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. If you get the EJ8 front bar and the Facelift rear bar, just keep the side strips just get them painted. It aint a honda if it aint got side mouldings :P

eeKayFouR
30-03-2009, 08:12 PM
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. If you get the EJ8 front bar and the Facelift rear bar, just keep the side strips just get them painted. It aint a honda if it aint got side mouldings :P

*bows down* Teach me moar master :)
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh120/AznTypeR/31na.jpg

mmm, looks good with or without the side moulds. I'd keep them tho coz im pov like that :cool:

Henessaayyy
30-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Do you really like the look of that? I think the side mouldings go better with it as the edges of the front and rear bars poke out abit...

civic-dream
05-04-2009, 11:52 PM
if ur going for a full respray might as well shave ur rear wiper off too :)

I took a look at the rear of my car and think it would actually look nice without the rear wiper, but i was just wondering whether it causes any problems with compliancy etc. I know there are heaps of cars without rear wipers from factory anyway so it shouldn't cause issues right?

as for my side bumper strips, i think i'll just leave them on and unpainted so it matches my oem sideskirts and front lip..

EK9
06-04-2009, 12:29 AM
leave the side mouldings... not worth the cost or effort, and it's not that noticeable especially if you decide to colour code it.

as for rear wiper, that's up to you... my ek has no rear wiper and i don't find it a problem. As long as you keep the rear window clean, you wont need a wiper.

civic-dream
12-04-2009, 02:44 PM
F@#!!@**... i went to jump in my car a few days ago to pick up my friend an i noticed my front lip's gone missing!! ... some dodgey fool's nicked it... got shitty for one day and now i'm over it...

anyways.. i liked that front lip (oem SIR one) coz it wasn't too low and i didn't have to worry about scraping it too much..

but i was just wondering if anyone's got any pics of their favourite front lip on a ek civic... and how can i stop ppl from stealing it again?.. rivet it to my friggen front bumper????

vinnY
12-04-2009, 02:46 PM
could always loctite it and smear a ball of silicon over the bolts so it's a pain to get them off

flipfire
12-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Use a tamper resistant screw drive, something like torx but with the middle bit so you cant just use a flat head.

Riviera
12-04-2009, 06:11 PM
F@#!!@**... i went to jump in my car a few days ago to pick up my friend an i noticed my front lip's gone missing!! ... some dodgey fool's nicked it... got shitty for one day and now i'm over it...

anyways.. i liked that front lip (oem SIR one) coz it wasn't too low and i didn't have to worry about scraping it too much..

but i was just wondering if anyone's got any pics of their favourite front lip on a ek civic... and how can i stop ppl from stealing it again?.. rivet it to my friggen front bumper????

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat now thats POV lol

sorry to hear... yea you could go the loctite and silicone over the HEX head...

maybe even flip the clip up the other way just to make it awkward, they take
longer for a potential red handed catch...