PDA

View Full Version : EG Sometimes doesn't go into first gear

tiksie
30-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey guys, not really a problem but something that has had me stunned since I've had my first EG!

Now I'm on my 4th EG and all of them had the same problem occurs VERY RARELY.

Sometimes when I'm at a set of lights, I punch the clutch in and put it into first but I notice that it doesn't actually go into 1st gear, instead it feels like it's hitting something and doesn't allow me to engage the gear unless I let go of the clutch, punch the clutch in again and then put it into first and then it goes in fine!

Happens once probably every week or two and I drive my car every day, is this normal ? My car has a new clutch/flywheel installed about 10,000KMs ago and a rebuilt gearbox at the same time.

IWANTEG6
30-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I have the same problem too, and it was also in my friends eg as well. He said its common in the eg's but yeah thats what he said,

neo_phase
30-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Funny enough it happens to me on my EK. However it's the reverse gear and not the first gear.

Same symptoms and same solution - release clutch and engage the gear again. Sometimes I'd have to do it twice. Thought it's normal..

JDM-EGG
30-03-2009, 07:09 PM
haha same for me in reverse , and not sure abt first ? i just know that 1st is hard to get in when ur still rolling at a certain speed.

Henessaayyy
30-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Happens to me too.. First and reverse, I do the same, just pop the clutch out and back in again.

dc2vtir
30-03-2009, 10:21 PM
for first gear its probably the synchros and they're probably getting worn, as for reverse its normal because the reverse gear does not have a synchro and they are straight cut therefore sometimes it is difficult to get it in reverse so you have to do it fast to get it into reverse smoothly

hope that helps :)

bennjamin
30-03-2009, 10:22 PM
just either double clutch or place into 4th then into 1st.

NA15BS
31-03-2009, 12:10 AM
it happens to me too, changed my synchros now its okay... but make sure ur clutch is still good and ur gearbox oil level is good before assuming u got a worn synchros...

tiksie
31-03-2009, 12:39 AM
just either double clutch or place into 4th then into 1st.

Tryed both, doesn't work until I pull clutch out and put it back in.

Happens on reverse too like others have said.

It's a fairly fresh built box and fairly new clutch!

I'll check the oil level.

THanks guys

trism
31-03-2009, 01:50 AM
yeah happens to me sometimes on reverse and 1st. i just pump the clutch or give the car a rev coz i read somewhere its got to do with the input spline being worn so it rests in a position where it doesnt mesh properly with the output spline, so you give it a rev and itll help it mesh up right

iwantvtec
31-03-2009, 05:49 AM
i got same problem. But thats prob because i hav a short shifter from ebay lol.

dc2vtir
31-03-2009, 11:01 AM
but dont you guys understand its normal for reverse since its a straight cut gear?

dvsx
31-03-2009, 11:06 AM
happens to me in 1st gear rarely. and for reverse, I always have to go into first before going reverse otherwise gear will crunch.

98vtir
01-04-2009, 03:54 PM
yeah i can't get into first unless im going less than 20km/h, not that I need to get into it any faster than that anyways :P, but only noticed it after i got a sports clutch installed. Also noticed when I can't get into reverse I need to roll the car back/forward slightly to get her lined up.

trex101
01-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Try changing the gear oil to Redline MTL 70w80 GL-4, It'll work great on honda manual transmission.

tiksie
01-04-2009, 11:31 PM
yeah i can't get into first unless im going less than 20km/h, not that I need to get into it any faster than that anyways :P, but only noticed it after i got a sports clutch installed. Also noticed when I can't get into reverse I need to roll the car back/forward slightly to get her lined up.

If you rev it abit to like 1.5k - 2k rpm it will pop into first when your rolling :)

dc2vtir
02-04-2009, 10:48 AM
yea you can rev match to get it in gear, that helps too

dumped echo
02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Yeah its normal for a lot of cars...even new ones.

For reverse you can try
1. Let out the clutch pedal...depress it again...then pull into reverse...OR
2. Hold it into reverse position and then slowly release the clutch pedal...and it should pop in

For first gear try
Step one and two above...OR
Stick it in another gear first...back to neutral...then into first...

FDBenni
02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Put it back in neutral with the clutch out, blip the throttle and should go in 1st fine OR
put it into 2nd then 1st.

tiksie
03-04-2009, 03:29 AM
I have already explained, it doesn't go into gear what ever I do as long as the clutch is in.. If I pull the clutch out and put it back in then it goes fine.

This is all while the car is still, not moving AT ALL.

Reving it doesnt do anything, putting it into 2nd then 1st doesnt do anything, only cure for it is to get the clutch out and put the gear back in :/

bennjamin
03-04-2009, 10:05 AM
have you changed your clutch hydraulic fluid ? Dirty or otherwise moisture can alter the way your clutch pedal engages the actual clutch/pressure plate etc , can give weird symptoms.

tiksie
03-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Changed it a few weeks ago!

dumped echo
03-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I don't think it'll be clutch fluid or air in the system because releasing and then reapplying the clutch pedal shouldn't make a difference in that case...

xmod
03-04-2009, 06:31 PM
i found the easiest way to engage reverse gear it to engage the clutch shift into first then move back to reverse you might need to do this a couple of times but since getting into that habit i very rarely crunch reverse.

tiksie
05-04-2009, 12:34 AM
To prevent crunching I make sure the car isn't moving AT ALL.

Never crunches then :D

jdmEG5
05-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Mine crunches on reverse.. This is on ED and EG :S

90LAN
05-04-2009, 12:50 AM
maybe when u did the respray
you got over spray on the shift linkages and got suck when the paint dried

tiksie
05-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Reported.

It's okay if you have no skills in spraying cars, I understand you wish you were like me.

bennjamin
05-04-2009, 09:05 AM
so anyway.....

have you considered an issue with the gearbox from the recent rebuild ?
there is every possibility of some too tight or too loose inside - for example the gear selector/s maybe overly tight or skewed etc. Your issue seems common for an old old gearbox not something recently rebuilt

tiksie
05-04-2009, 02:14 PM
so anyway.....

have you considered an issue with the gearbox from the recent rebuild ?
there is every possibility of some too tight or too loose inside - for example the gear selector/s maybe overly tight or skewed etc. Your issue seems common for an old old gearbox not something recently rebuilt

Might take it back to get it checked out, has been done at Rick Damelian LOL!