PDA

View Full Version : CU2 Build/Compliance Date

H.T
31-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Hi All,

Just asking this out of curiosity...

My car has a build date of Jun 08, but a compliance date of Feb 09, I would have though that eight months is a long time between the car being build and arriving in Australia and being complianced, but I am curious as to whether any of you owners have similar dates...

8wg8
31-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi,
I got my euro 3 weeks ago (9/03/09) and guess what the build date is 07/08.iam really shock when i pick up the car eventhough only 5kms on the clock when i picked up the car.

SPQR
31-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I hope you did not pay 2009 price increase and got a discount!

A former boss of mine bought a "new" Citroen for $45K in 1988 (a lot of money then and yes, I know, it's before most of you were born). When the boss tried to trade it in, the original selling dealer told the boss that even though it was compliance plated in 1988, it had actually been built in 1986 and so it was only worth $4K as a trade.

primetimex
31-03-2009, 04:35 PM
I think I have also encountered this with my previous car a Hyundai it was complianced in 2002 but was actually built in 2000!.

Although the dealer at the time did mention that this should not have an effect on trade-in price!

I think I'll try and go find out what the build date of my CU2 is!

Joystick
31-03-2009, 05:04 PM
I think I have also encountered this with my previous car a Hyundai it was complianced in 2002 but was actually built in 2000!.

Although the dealer at the time did mention that this should not have an effect on trade-in price!

I think I'll try and go find out what the build date of my CU2 is!

Look under your pasenger side wiper blade. :cool:

H.T
31-03-2009, 05:50 PM
I purchased it when the sale was on, so was aware that it would be a 08 build, just didn't think it would be Jun 08 and complianced in 02/09.

rodericb
31-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Oh gee, watch out for that - you'll get stung big time come trade-in time! "Blah blah blah we go by the build date, compliance date means nothing etc etc so we'll have to give you next to nothing for your car...." Dealers are usually pretty quiet about it when you're actually buying the car though! Grrr.

primetimex
31-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Look under your pasenger side wiper blade. :cool:

Thanks Joystick! Looks really classy, Build date is built right under the Windscreen! Something I've not seen before in previous Hondas!

So my Euro which was complianced in March'09, it was built late last year in Oct'08 which I believe is one of the latest built CU2 in this forum!

primetimex
31-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Dealers are usually pretty quiet about it when you're actually buying the car though! Grrr.

You're absolutely right rodericb, they will not mention the build date unless you ask about it and assume ppl are gullible that compliance date = build date = new car. This is not the case!

So everyone who buys a new CU2 demand to know the build date in advance - the newer the better! Mine's Oct'08 so I think that's very recent and would not have been in Dealer's hands very long before I purchased in Mar'09!

primetimex
31-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Does it mean dealers do not mention build dates but assume people will pay new prices for older built CU2s ??? People like H.T who purchased a CU2 and compliance in Feb'09 but the car was built way back in Jun'08 (8 months ago)?

So people who buys in 2009 at new and higher 2009 have every right to demand 2009 built CU2 Euros? I think it is only fair, otherwise the older the build date, the more discount you can demand to compensate?

rodericb
31-03-2009, 10:03 PM
There are three dates for a car - the build date, compliance date and registration date. Plus the model year as well (make it four "dates"). I was looking at buying a Corolla recently and they were Jan and Feb 2009 builds - real 2009 models - so I don't know why it takes so long between a Euro being built and complied. Maybe they stick the compliance plates on when they leave storage and go to the dealer?

As for the "big con" thing, I think it is a bit of a con with these as you'll get whacked with the build date thing when you're trying to sell it to a dealer (i.e. trade it in). They'll try anything to get a few more bucks out of you. Whether you care about it is another thing - I do, but a lot of people probably wouldn't bother about it as it might be a few hundred dollars when it comes down to it.

primetimex
31-03-2009, 10:42 PM
so I don't know why it takes so long between a Euro being built and complied. Maybe they stick the compliance plates on when they leave storage and go to the dealer?

That's correct the practice is now that the cars will be shipped from Japan / Thailand then it will sit in a holding yard (Honda Australia's) then Dealer will request the car as per their requirement. Gone are the days when the car will go straight to the dealer - reason they do this is that they save on holding cost or something.

At least with your Corolla example you're getting a 2009 built vehicle in 2009 NOT a 2008 one. I think ppl should be more aware of this practice by Honda of giving people older build cars in the new year! Especially also they'd have to cough up up to $2 - $3k for supposedly price increase to cover a weak $AUD!!!

I also imagine build dates would be of great interest to those having pinging issues - obviously like software the later the build date the better (fingers crossed!)

tony1234
01-04-2009, 06:42 AM
There are three dates for a car - the build date, compliance date and registration date. Plus the model year as well (make it four "dates"). I was looking at buying a Corolla recently and they were Jan and Feb 2009 builds - real 2009 models - so I don't know why it takes so long between a Euro being built and complied. Maybe they stick the compliance plates on when they leave storage and go to the dealer?

As for the "big con" thing, I think it is a bit of a con with these as you'll get whacked with the build date thing when you're trying to sell it to a dealer (i.e. trade it in). They'll try anything to get a few more bucks out of you. Whether you care about it is another thing - I do, but a lot of people probably wouldn't bother about it as it might be a few hundred dollars when it comes down to it.

The build date is the most important.A 2008 build car is treated as a 2008 car come trade in time.So don't fall for any dealer crap that it doesn't matter.It does.If you buy a 2008 build car bargain hard cause technically it a year old already even if it's compliance 2009.

H.T
01-04-2009, 05:01 PM
When we purchased ours we knew that we were getting a 08 build. Admittedly I didn't think it would be a June 08, but whether it was June or October, its still 08.

But what I am curios about is if there are people here that have later built cars that were complianced earlier...

SPQR
01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
It depends on what model/transmission/colour you want. Some are slow movers; some move faster and so there's less difference between build date and compliance date.

I ordered a 2007 CRV 5AT Luxury Sport in late June 2007 and had to wait 3 months for it to arrive. There was one month difference between build date and compliance date. So it had not been built in the first two months of the waiting period.

When I ordered an Arctic Blue Pearl 2004 CL9 Standard Euro 5AT, there was only one month difference between build date and compliance date as that particular combination car was in demand at the time and had to be ordered (not from stock). I had to wait six weeks for the car so after I ordered it, it was two weeks before it was built.

I ordered a 2002 Jazz VTi and there was one month difference between build date and compliance date.

I ordered a 2001 5dr Civic Hatch and there was also one month difference between build date and compliance date.

Before that, I had ordered a 1997 WRX and I had to wait six weeks and there was only one month difference between the build date and compliance date.

The slow-down in the world's economy has also played a big part. Most manufacturers have stock waiting for sale in large carparks; soggy wet grass fields in the case of Citroen.

denot
02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
hmmm just wondering, so basically there should be no "2009 Honda Accord Euro" on sale yet? coz the latest build date is still end of 2008?

primetimex
02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
hmmm just wondering, so basically there should be no "2009 Honda Accord Euro" on sale yet? coz the latest build date is still end of 2008?

I bought mine in Mar'09 last month - and got Oct'08 so it's safe to say maybe there's no 2009 build yet unless you have to get your car shipped from the factory, really depends on what the dealer's got and holding at the time.

denot
02-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I bought mine in Mar'09 last month - and got Oct'08 so it's safe to say maybe there's no 2009 build yet unless you have to get your car shipped from the factory, really depends on what the dealer's got and holding at the time.

what I mean is... so current "2009 Honda Accord Euro" it should be called "2008 Honda Accord Euro"?

If the current 2009 is 2008 built, but still can be called "2009 Honda Accord Euro" (no legal issue), then the main point is the "compliance" date not the "build" date. So you cant use the term "Cause it was build on 2008, the price should be a bit cheaper" when buying "2009 Honda Accord Euro" with 08 build date (no matter if you are a dealer or customer).

primetimex
02-04-2009, 01:23 PM
I see, hmm however it looks like there's quite a fair bit of other forum users here with the "pinging" issues to which the build date would be of significant interest.

I'll go and check when my Euro's been complianced.

tony1234
02-04-2009, 04:27 PM
what I mean is... so current "2009 Honda Accord Euro" it should be called "2008 Honda Accord Euro"?

If the current 2009 is 2008 built, but still can be called "2009 Honda Accord Euro" (no legal issue), then the main point is the "compliance" date not the "build" date. So you cant use the term "Cause it was build on 2008, the price should be a bit cheaper" when buying "2009 Honda Accord Euro" with 08 build date (no matter if you are a dealer or customer).
No the build date is the most important.If 2 Euros,the first 1 had build 08 and compliance 09 and the 2nd.one had build 09 and compliance the 2nd one,assuming they were being traded/sold at the same time would fetch more without a doubt.Dealers tell you when you are BUYING is doesn't matter but when it comes to selling you get a different story.

denot
02-04-2009, 04:37 PM
No the build date is the most important.If 2 Euros,the first 1 had build 08 and compliance 09 and the 2nd.one had build 09 and compliance the 2nd one,assuming they were being traded/sold at the same time would fetch more without a doubt.Dealers tell you when you are BUYING is doesn't matter but when it comes to selling you get a different story.

Ok, so based on your saying tony, I'm correct by saying there's no "2009 Honda Accord Euro" yet in Oz. Is this what you mean?

tony1234
02-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Ok, so based on your saying tony, I'm correct by saying there's no "2009 Honda Accord Euro" yet in Oz. Is this what you mean?
No i don't think there are any 09 build and compliance cars on the showroom floor yet,but if there aren't any now they wont be too far away.Depends on the number of cars being held by HA in holding yards.Usually in any given year you don't see that year build on the showroom floor before April but considering the world economy that may change.

denot
02-04-2009, 04:54 PM
No i don't think there are any 09 build and compliance cars on the showroom floor yet,but if there aren't any now they wont be too far away.Depends on the number of cars being held by HA in holding yards.Usually in any given year you don't see that year build on the showroom floor before April but considering the world economy that may change.

I see, so if someone just purchase a CU2 recently, when they want to sell it again they shouldnt put "2009 Honda Accord Euro CU2" as the title, correct? coz basically its "2008 Honda Accord Euro CU2".

tony1234
02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I see, so if someone just purchase a CU2 recently, when they want to sell it again they shouldnt put "2009 Honda Accord Euro CU2" as the title, correct? coz basically its "2008 Honda Accord Euro CU2".
Technically no.The correct description should be MY2009.

buddah51au
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Tony is completely correct, the build date is the most important factor at trade in time. Compliance date is totally different and doesn't mean a lot. as we are now in April I would not consider an 08 build date unless there was a substantial discount, otherwise you will loose big time when you trade it.

denot
02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Technically no.The correct description should be MY2009.

so it should be "2008 Honda Accord Euro CU2 MY09"?

primetimex
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Does this also mean that when you're buying a Euro / any vehicle in a particular year (2009 say) that you can demand a vehicle that is built in the same year - otherwise significant discount depending on build date can be demanded?

tony1234
02-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Does this also mean that when you're buying a Euro / any vehicle in a particular year (2009 say) that you can demand a vehicle that is built in the same year - otherwise significant discount depending on build date can be demanded?
Not demand but let it be known that you expect a decent discount if the cars build and compliance dates are 2 differing years.

tony1234
02-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Not sure of the correct term.Think it's MY09 Honda Accord Euro 2008.

rodericb
02-04-2009, 08:58 PM
There's probably some sort of naming convention for these things but anyway, Model Year is used to denote the build year but can be used for cars produced late in the previous year if that's when an updated model started production? For example the Accord Euro MY2006 cars can have build dates in December. Same with the Corollas I mentioned in a previous post - there was a update for MY2009 and some of them were built in December 2008. When there's an update mid year the cars may have something like "MY2008.5".

That there are new Euros with build dates so far into last year must indicate heavy buying before the exchange rate went bad or that they simply aren't selling as many as they projected. Either way I reckon a healthy discount for CU's should be on offer, or fought for! On road costs absorbed by Honda/the dealer at least!

denot
02-04-2009, 10:29 PM
well from tony and buddah comment, I'm glad I've purchased 08 build 08 compliance with slightly less price than my friend 08 build 09 compliance... :)

primetimex
02-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Does anyone here know then when MY2009 Euro's started production? Is it late in 2008 and have all the 2009 revisions (if any) to the CU2 Euro been incorporated?

rodericb
03-04-2009, 06:12 PM
No revisions that I know of for CU2 so a MY2009 is one built in 2009. Because of currency fluctations and having stock hanging around they may have fiddled with trim levels but I don't think that constitutes an update anyway.

SPQR
03-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Does anyone here know then when MY2009 Euro's started production? Is it late in 2008 and have all the 2009 revisions (if any) to the CU2 Euro been incorporated?

For Australia; May 2008.

No revisions that I know of for CU2 so a MY2009 is one built in 2009. Because of currency fluctations and having stock hanging around they may have fiddled with trim levels but I don't think that constitutes an update anyway.

No. MY2009 is the model designation and not the year of first manufacture. The minor update due this (mid) year will be the MY2010.

demoiree
20-10-2010, 11:50 AM
hmm.. sorry to bump up an old thread ,

just wondering when you purchase an insurance , do you put in the compliance year or build year, given that it might be a year different between them. according to the insurance company they are looking at build date? is that true?

cheers

SPQR
23-10-2010, 12:30 AM
^^ Yes. They would want the build date. The compliance date is meaningless to consumers. It's the date that the importer pays the import duty on the car. The period between build date and compliance date is spent on the ocean or in a "bond" store until the import duty is paid. Then the car might also spend some time awaiting a sale. For cars made in Australia, it's time spent in a paddock or giant carpark awaiiting a sale.

Doug11
23-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Thanks Joystick! Looks really classy, Build date is built right under the Windscreen! Something I've not seen before in previous Hondas!

So my Euro which was complianced in March'09, it was built late last year in Oct'08 which I believe is one of the latest built CU2 in this forum!

No - this is really bad - you will only be offered 08 price when trading in or even selling privately. You must ensure that the build date and compliance date are in the same year. It takes less than a month for a car to be shipped from Thailand or Japan and prepped for sale in Australia.
That is why I would never buy a car in January or even February.

Doug11
23-10-2010, 07:07 AM
There's probably some sort of naming convention for these things but anyway, Model Year is used to denote the build year but can be used for cars produced late in the previous year if that's when an updated model started production? For example the Accord Euro MY2006 cars can have build dates in December. Same with the Corollas I mentioned in a previous post - there was a update for MY2009 and some of them were built in December 2008. When there's an update mid year the cars may have something like "MY2008.5".

That there are new Euros with build dates so far into last year must indicate heavy buying before the exchange rate went bad or that they simply aren't selling as many as they projected. Either way I reckon a healthy discount for CU's should be on offer, or fought for! On road costs absorbed by Honda/the dealer at least!

Mercedes model year starts in September each year. so a car built on Sept 2007 is called MY08. They have been doing this for as long as I can remember.

demoiree
23-10-2010, 07:30 AM
^^ Yes. They would want the build date. The compliance date is meaningless to consumers. It's the date that the importer pays the import duty on the car. The period between build date and compliance date is spent on the ocean or in a "bond" store until the import duty is paid. Then the car might also spend some time awaiting a sale. For cars made in Australia, it's time spent in a paddock or giant carpark awaiiting a sale.

Thanks for the info! :( however that means higher premium for my car !