PDA

View Full Version : 5 stud conversion

madella
31-03-2009, 01:49 PM
has anyone convert civic to a 5 stud? and is it recommended for track?

EK1.6LCIV
31-03-2009, 01:52 PM
to answer your question, yes, many have as the parts can be made to fit

to answer the second part of the question, it's not recommended as such (as a 4 stud setup with decent rotors and pads could gain the same results, also there are caliper upgrades for 4 stud setups as well as the 5 stud setups), but like any brake upgrade can help (the 5 stud upgrade is prob the cheapest upgrade before looking at buying aftermarket calipers and rotors imo)

madella
31-03-2009, 02:01 PM
thanks for that

JDM-EGG
31-03-2009, 02:26 PM
i reckon its best just to get some slotted rotors (DBA etc) and some good brake pads , and that should be enough mate , unless ur a hardcore boy :) HAHA

Q_ball
31-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Aside from bigger rim choice, theres not much more that a 5 stud brake setup has over a 4 stud.

Its all bling!

EK1.6LCIV
31-03-2009, 02:37 PM
ppl always talk up the rim choice reply, but hell most of the ones I want are in the old teg r 4x114.3, lol

simonnowis
31-03-2009, 04:41 PM
true all the jdm goodness is in 4x114.3, which also makes those stud pattern rims cheaper

EK1.6LCIV
31-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Im nearly at a stage where doing the itr conversion isnt a half bad idea lol

AndreaCivic
01-04-2009, 08:52 AM
to answer your question, yes, many have as the parts can be made to fit

to answer the second part of the question, it's not recommended as such (as a 4 stud setup with decent rotors and pads could gain the same results, also there are caliper upgrades for 4 stud setups as well as the 5 stud setups), but like any brake upgrade can help (the 5 stud upgrade is prob the cheapest upgrade before looking at buying aftermarket calipers and rotors imo)

ek1.6lciv i've been looking around for brake upgrades for a while now.. looking at spoon twin blocks but only works on ek9 so need to upgrade hubs, knuckles, etc (5 stud conversion).
can you advise of some aftermarket brake upgrades for ek4 4stud?
just need a point in the right direction..

cheers mate

EK1.6LCIV
01-04-2009, 09:31 AM
seen alot of nice packages forsale at 999 recently, prob set you back upwards for 2k tho for some ksport calipers and better discs.

if you were to do the itr conversion you'd be better off as it'd be the whole package (front, rear, etc) you'd not only notice a big improvement over stock instantly, but then if you needed to you could upgrade the front calipers (depends really on how track orientated that car is going to be, if you're doing seldom track days I can't see the need to upgrade the stock front calipers in ethier setup)

but in all honesty, a few of my mates still have stock 4 stud setups for track and do pretty good considering, for track days they'll serve you well, it's amazing the stopping diff in changing rotors, pads and brake lines

AndreaCivic
01-04-2009, 11:40 AM
seen alot of nice packages forsale at 999 recently, prob set you back upwards for 2k tho for some ksport calipers and better discs.

if you were to do the itr conversion you'd be better off as it'd be the whole package (front, rear, etc) you'd not only notice a big improvement over stock instantly, but then if you needed to you could upgrade the front calipers (depends really on how track orientated that car is going to be, if you're doing seldom track days I can't see the need to upgrade the stock front calipers in ethier setup)

but in all honesty, a few of my mates still have stock 4 stud setups for track and do pretty good considering, for track days they'll serve you well, it's amazing the stopping diff in changing rotors, pads and brake lines

thanks mate awesome help! :thumbsup:

think dc2r/ek9 (five stud) might be the go..

98vtir
01-04-2009, 12:57 PM
yeah I want 5 stud mostly for wank value, even if its not that much to wank over :P

AndreaCivic
01-04-2009, 02:19 PM
yeah I want 5 stud mostly for wank value, even if its not that much to wank over :P

yeah lol that extra lug nut makes the car sooooooooooo much better!
haha

EK1.6LCIV
01-04-2009, 02:20 PM
yea all it would mean is during my monthly check it would take me a few more seconds to remove the wheels lol

90LAN
01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
yeah 5 lug is so over rated
it has nothing over 4 lug brakes
may as well keep the rears drums
and just get new pads and fluids
because it will do the same trick and have the same braking capacity as itr brakes
yeah it for bling as everyone has said
not there to stop your car better

98vtir
01-04-2009, 03:46 PM
yeah lol that extra lug nut makes the car sooooooooooo much better!
haha

:P i know, thats why i want it hehe

Q_ball
01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
In all honesty, i'd rather spend that 1500 odd for the 5 lug conversion on a nice set of rims and tyres.
That to me is more bling than 5 studs on a civic.

90LAN
01-04-2009, 04:20 PM
In all honesty, i'd rather spend that 1500 odd for the 5 lug conversion on a nice set of rims and tyres.

lol thats why u are selling your 4 lug car

AndreaCivic
02-04-2009, 07:34 AM

:thumbsup: agreed mate. only reason i want 5 lug is so when i do put some nice rims on my car i've got some decent size brakes behind them..
i'm sure you could appreciate this with your spoons :D

P.s. did you have to do some machining to get the spoons onto your 4 lug?

EK1.6LCIV
02-04-2009, 10:34 AM
look in Lyle's build thread Sexc86 :D

he's done that conversion for a four stud setup :D

read a few pages near this one for some info on the Spoon setup :D

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64558&page=19

Q_ball
02-04-2009, 10:50 AM
:thumbsup: agreed mate. only reason i want 5 lug is so when i do put some nice rims on my car i've got some decent size brakes behind them..
i'm sure you could appreciate this with your spoons :D

P.s. did you have to do some machining to get the spoons onto your 4 lug?

I didnt change to 5 stud tho,
Im running my spoon calipers on 4x100, 282mm rotors + a 3mm spacer to push the rotor out.

90LAN
02-04-2009, 11:22 AM
so running 2 k retail calipers is btter than going 5 lug lol
spoon calipers is more bling than 5 lug imo

Paul1985
02-04-2009, 11:33 AM
I got DC2R 5-Lug. Why? Because i wanted it lol.
Much bigger calipers on the front as stock.
5-lug + spoon = win IMO.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/Paul_K_1985/Image009-3.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/Paul_K_1985/Image017-4.jpg

Q_ball
02-04-2009, 12:17 PM
so running 2 k retail calipers is btter than going 5 lug lol
spoon calipers is more bling than 5 lug imo

Who'd be dumb enough to pay 2k for em, i dont know... haha
Well i certainly aint that baller :p

I got mine 2nd hand with rotors, pads and braided lines all for a low price of 1k.
Smart shopping is ftw :)

90LAN
02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Who'd be dumb enough to pay 2k for em, i dont know... haha
Well i certainly aint that baller :p

I got mine 2nd hand with rotors, pads and braided lines all for a low price of 1k.
Smart shopping is ftw :)

and who said i paid 1.5k for my brakes lol
i noticed on your rotors u have extra holes what are they for ?

Q_ball
02-04-2009, 12:56 PM
No no no... you got my post all muddled up.
I meant to say, instead of forking out ~1.5k for the 5 lug conversion, i'd rather spend/put that 1.5k towards a nicer set of wheels.

Oh, my rotors are redrilled... not the best option i know, but you do what your budget allows for at the time :)

AndreaCivic
02-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I didnt change to 5 stud tho,
Im running my spoon calipers on 4x100, 282mm rotors + a 3mm spacer to push the rotor out.

that's cool.. exactly what i was thinking of doing but thought you had to machine stuff which im not confident in doing, nor do i have the tools to do such a job!

thanks!! :thumbsup:

question time :p

did you buy the spacer or do you have more info on what this is?

also, did you have to upgrade Brake booster / master cyclinder?

and last question, lol did you upgrade your rear brakes?

:p

Q_ball
02-04-2009, 04:02 PM
that's cool.. exactly what i was thinking of doing but thought you had to machine stuff which im not confident in or have tool!

thanks!! :thumbsup:

question time :P

did you buy the spacer or do you have more info on what this is?
not sure about this... will find out for you

also, did you have to upgrade Brake booster / master cyclinder?
no this is NOT necessary for the conversion however it would be recommended if you plan on tracking.
after the first track day with the new brakes - i needed to upgrade both booster and cylinder

and last question, lol did you upgrade your rear brakes?
nopes... but im gonna be changing pads soon - not because i have to, but because its making a squeaking noise now.

As above :)

EK1.6LCIV
02-04-2009, 05:30 PM
post up some pics QBall Im curious on your setup also :D

dupac->
02-04-2009, 05:38 PM
i did a 5 lug on my ek4.

waste of time and money. just for bling bling it was. but i got them fairly cheap and the labour to put them on was next to nothing.

unless u can get 5lug setups for cheap i recommend you NOT to do it.

other than that just spend the money on decent calipers and rotors. and upgrade the mc and brakebooster

AndreaCivic
02-04-2009, 07:54 PM
As above :)

thank you very much!!

some more info on the spacers would be awesome, i seen a diy on another site but they didnt go into much detail about the spacer and where it goes..

i guess i should probably take a wheel off and have a look at how it all connects..

edit* what size wheels do you have q?

i did a 5 lug on my ek4.

waste of time and money. just for bling bling it was. but i got them fairly cheap and the labour to put them on was next to nothing.

unless u can get 5lug setups for cheap i recommend you NOT to do it.

other than that just spend the money on decent calipers and rotors. and upgrade the mc and brakebooster

nice to hear from you again mate.. your always helpfull! it's good to hear from someone on the other side of the fence..
:thumbsup:

Paul1985
03-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Another reason i got my 5-lug was because i have a K-swap. I wanted to get the 36mm hubs to suit the K-series 36mm splined axles. I was able to use stock axles with the 5-lug i got.

Nowadays you can get all sorts of aftermarket axles to suit the standard 32mm though.

5-lug = better than the original brakes on a standard EK or EG, but as people are saying.. You could setup your standard brakes to stop you just as well or even better for a similar price (probably less by the sounds of some of the replies).

drated
03-04-2009, 08:13 AM
would it be better than go just get bigger calipers and fit them on to the standard ek4 rotors or aftermarket rotors rather than doing the whole 5 lug dc2r conversion ?
well the other question is can it be done and what caliper would be recommended for the ek4?

EK1.6LCIV
03-04-2009, 08:40 AM
you've got all sorts of choices for calipers

anything from ksports, d2, spoon, mu secret, hell Ive seen a bloke once use Porsche calipers on his turbo EG with custom made top hats to suit (he had to run 18" rays volks to clear them tho)

you're spoilt for choices when it comes to calipers :D

drated
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
you've got all sorts of choices for calipers

anything from ksports, d2, spoon, mu secret, hell Ive seen a bloke once use Porsche calipers on his turbo EG with custom made top hats to suit (he had to run 18" rays volks to clear them tho)

you're spoilt for choices when it comes to calipers :D

what i mean is will they all fit onto a civic em1 ? what sort of things will i need to get it working say if i wanted the dc2r calipers ?
what other honda brakes would be bigger and compatible with the least amount of mods.

EK1.6LCIV
03-04-2009, 11:07 AM
all those calipers have adaption kits to fit onto larger rotors, meaning they will fit :D, (altho Im nearly 100% sure you loose abs with the aftermarket caliper kits as in the big brake upgrade by Wilwood which imo looks like an excellent upgrade)

link to the install thread of the wilwood big brake kit

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=154453

drated
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
nah man wont be able to afford that ! i was just considerin puttin on itr callipers

AndreaCivic
03-04-2009, 12:40 PM
what i mean is will they all fit onto a civic em1 ? what sort of things will i need to get it working say if i wanted the dc2r calipers ?
what other honda brakes would be bigger and compatible with the least amount of mods.

if i'm not wrong to get the dc2r setup working, you will need:

1" (dc2r) master cylinder / brake booster
dc2r calipers
282mm x 23mm rotors (F), 262mm x 9mm (R) - these can be predrilled to 4 x100 or redrilled dc2r rotors
spacer - which allows the em1/ek4 caliper bracket to connect the new larger calipers to the rotors

Im still looking into the spacer to see if it's something that can be bought off the shelf, if it's adr approved etc. etc.. and that's it!!

mocchi
03-04-2009, 12:47 PM
oh paul.. ek9 rims + spoon calipers please. that would look so saweet.. ohh ..ooohhh!!!! OHHHHHHHHH!!!

Paul1985
03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
if i'm not wrong to get the dc2r setup working, you will need:

1" (dc2r) master cylinder / brake booster
dc2r calipers
282mm x 23mm rotors (F), 262mm x 9mm (R) - these can be predrilled to 4 x100 or redrilled dc2r rotors
spacer - which allows the em1/ek4 caliper bracket to connect the new larger calipers to the rotors

Im still looking into the spacer to see if it's something that can be bought off the shelf, if it's adr approved etc. etc.. and that's it!!

You might wanna look into the knuckle. It is possible that the mounting holes on the caliper won't line up with the threaded holes on the knuckle.

I'm not sure, but be sure of this before buying different calipers for your vehicle.

thebob
03-04-2009, 04:31 PM
NSX brakes are another upgrade. Cheapest upgrade is to strip you car, the less mass you need to pull up the better.

EK1.6LCIV
03-04-2009, 04:37 PM
got a vin number Im curious on price, lol :D

90LAN
03-04-2009, 04:59 PM
NSX brakes are another upgrade. Cheapest upgrade is to strip you car, the less mass you need to pull up the better.

but u need the itr/ek9 knuckle for it to be a straight bolt on
but for most of ozhonda 4 lug will have to be custom again which is easier

90LAN
03-04-2009, 05:00 PM
got a vin number Im curious on price, lol :D

lol it will be out of your price range ryan lol

AndreaCivic
03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
all those calipers have adaption kits to fit onto larger rotors, meaning they will fit :D, (altho Im nearly 100% sure you loose abs with the aftermarket caliper kits as in the big brake upgrade by Wilwood which imo looks like an excellent upgrade)

link to the install thread of the wilwood big brake kit

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=154453

good find dude.. very relevant for me!! thanx! :D

just about to look at costs now.. bling factor berry high! :p

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/daneos/cc-install-fastbrakes-23.jpg

dupac->
04-04-2009, 09:50 AM
yeah i really wanted to do the wilwood brake kit. but the 5 lug came along cheap.

imo i would do the wilwood kit anyday..

gangster brakes!

shit over any 5 lug conversion. unless its a 5 lug conversion with a wilwood kit.

lol!

trism
04-04-2009, 01:46 PM
i was looking into the wilwood setup as well, but i remember reading somewhere that its illegal in aus coz there is no dust covers on them or something liket hat?

dupac->
04-04-2009, 01:55 PM
dust covers for the brake pads?

unless they're gonna check into detail and turn every bolt.. im sure they wont pick up the missing dust covers?

really comes down to the inspector's knowledge i guess. or the engineer thats gonna engineer the vehicle.

or just keep ur front wheels clean from brake dust
ahaha

AndreaCivic
05-04-2009, 08:39 PM
yeah i really wanted to do the wilwood brake kit. but the 5 lug came along cheap.

imo i would do the wilwood kit anyday..

gangster brakes!

shit over any 5 lug conversion. unless its a 5 lug conversion with a wilwood kit.

lol!

lol yeah however your 5 lug conversion allowed you to put on those pimp itr wheels.. your car was pimp dude!

i was looking into the wilwood setup as well, but i remember reading somewhere that its illegal in aus coz there is no dust covers on them or something liket hat?

hmmm, i will clarify whn i get in contact with a wilwood supplier in aus...

thebob
06-04-2009, 07:21 AM
You would be hard pressed to find a caliper upgrade in australia that is backed by ADR. OEM is like your only sure fire legal upgrade.

AndreaCivic
06-04-2009, 09:14 AM
kk, good to know.. thanks for the info..

dupac->
06-04-2009, 11:53 PM
lol yeah however your 5 lug conversion allowed you to put on those pimp itr wheels.. your car was pimp dude!

hmmm, i will clarify whn i get in contact with a wilwood supplier in aus...

haha thanks dude.. soo sad to see it go though :(

but yeah bob is right... no sure answer for aftermarket mods and approvals for them. they can deny anything for any reason.

EK1.6LCIV
07-04-2009, 09:50 AM
my mate with an eg got a blue slip for his wilwood setup on the front :D

trism
08-04-2009, 12:22 PM
orly

wilwood here i come!! lolol

AndreaCivic
08-04-2009, 01:20 PM
nsw regulations state:

Brakes
Brake systems must not be modified such that the brake performance is reduced or that the risk of failure of the brake system is increased. Brake discs or drums must not be machined beyond the reconditioning limits set down by the manufacturer. When brakes are upgraded using components or systems which were not standard options for the vehicle, an engineering certificate is necessary to attest to the adequacy of the new system, eg: hydraulic fluid sufficiency, balanced braking on all wheels, brake pedal pressure limitations and braking performance.

looks like you need an engineering certificate for wilwood or dc2r brake upgrade..

ref: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_06_-_guidelines_for_light_vehicle_modifications_nov_20 07.pdf

thebob
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I got my endless through and mod plated.

EK1.6LCIV
08-04-2009, 03:34 PM
and mighty fine brakes they are :D

I cant say I see many get mod plated here, as on an EG it's basically the same car as an ITR

but then again the police up here, like mod plates on Hondas that have recaros fitted, which doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me as the eg and the itr share alot of interior geometry making it just as safe being in ethier car, just is a matter of torque settings be oem in my mind

thebob
08-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Its a matter of paying $80 to say, f you its modded.

EK1.6LCIV
08-04-2009, 03:57 PM
lol, yea it was $130 if I wanted my seats out legally, lol

the govt gives me the shits, I love the State I love OZ, but I hate the govt, theyre a55holes... lol

AndreaCivic
09-04-2009, 09:46 AM
I got my endless through and mod plated.

got any pics of your ride mate?

what sort of car you got ej8 itr?

EK1.6LCIV
09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70358&page=28

AndreaCivic
11-04-2009, 01:04 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70358&page=28

cheers for that ryan.. very good read there

that jdm itr front is so hot..