PDA

View Full Version : cleaning coilovers

SuperSteve
31-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey guys

I just got my hands on a set of buddyclub racing spec dampers. They are abit dirty and i was thinking of giving them a clean b4 i get them installed.

Anything i need to b careful of when cleaning ?? i was thinking of getting some de-greaser and spraying it then wipping it clean. Do i need to apply grease or anything after using degreaser or anything ?? ive got no idea about coilovers these would b my first set ive ever owned.

Cheers

Toilet
31-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Just wipe it down with water so that it isn't too ridiculously jam packed with dirt/filth. No need to be fancy. They will eventually get dirty all over again. It's there job to get down and dirty ;)
That's what i did anyway, i realized that no one would see them and that it would be pointless cleaning them spotless. Just a reasonable wipe will suffice.

geeang
31-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I would take off the springs/retainers, compress the shock all the way in (so the rod isn't showing), spray it down with degreaser and wipe it all off, put it back together.

Killa From Manila
31-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I would take off the springs/retainers, compress the shock all the way in (so the rod isn't showing), spray it down with degreaser and wipe it all off, put it back together.

how are u meant to compress it?? ive got bc n+ and i cant compress it even 2mm without the springs. id pull apart the lower bracket, lock rings and spring and give the thread a good clean. u dont want dirt stuck in there when ur trying to adjust the height. prob wudnt grease up the thread coz it just helps dirt stick..or just put a little bit on the bottom end that isnt exposed

e240
31-03-2009, 08:23 PM
I'll strip it apart as geeang says but I wouldn't use degreasers. A lot of degreasers can actually hard the Orings.

I'd brush them down with kerosene and then rinse them off with water.

Why Kerosene? Well, thats what the bike chain manufacturer's recommend as Kero doesn't harm the rubber in the chains.

--Actually - No need to compress the shock all the way in...

SuperSteve
01-04-2009, 07:05 PM
thanks guys

Bludger
16-04-2009, 02:04 AM
kerosene is a V good cleaning fluid.

We use a Kerosene bath to store and clean our blades.