PDA

View Full Version : Turbo compression, headgasket. need experienced help.

Weq
27-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Ok in lou of my recent ****up, i have decided to swap heads with another y1 to make sure my new cam doesnt seize up. In light of this unplanned swap, i am looking for some good to come out of it. My order for ARP headstuds is alreday in but i am fiddling with the idea of INCREASING my compression slightly with a thinner headgasket.

Basically this is my train of though. I was going ot turn the boost up a to 12psi when i put the cam in. The bad parts of this was that my map sensor could possibly get damaged and i would need to run rich uptop to cator for the map unable to read the extra 1psi. It would also be a little more boost then my turbo is really efficent at producing.
This this in mind, i was thinking about keeping he boost at 10psi and upping the compression slightly via thinner 3 or 2 layer y8 OEM gasket. So i will be adding a few more points to the compression scale which woul;d improve the whole power band, as well as maybe slightly better spool etc etc. My turbo setup isnt capable for higher then 11~psi efficently, so dropping the compression and upping the boost is not an option in my eyes.

Could i please get some ideas from the guys out there. What kind of compression am i looking at with a y1 block+head and a y8 gasket. http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm ive used this source as a reference, but i was always under the impression my y1 was 9.6:1 it says its 9.1. either way the compression increases by only a point or 2...

lastly. i know this will put more stress on the engine etc etc. its not a huge leap and i do run 98ron anyways. Can i get some adivce :)

Lyle_Style
27-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Id say scrap the idea completely, Changeing gaskets and putting in new cams is looking at a low of money only a little bit of extra power and more chance for detonation.
Id say get rid of the TD04 as its only like a 150 - 200hp turbo, sell the piggy back.

Buy a Td05 16G wich is a little bigger and good for 300hp. This would be an easy turbo upgrade to change over at a much smaller cost then what you are talking. Running the same boost on this will be more power. Then a good standalone engine management system with a new custom map should get you some extra power again still at the same boost, and a decomp gasket + injectors would make your baby good for 15lbs.

All this with selling your old gear + a bit of extra cash will be heaps cheaper then what you are talking

Lyle_Style
27-10-2004, 05:28 PM
no sorry, 440cc should be good for injectors

Lyle_Style
27-10-2004, 05:29 PM
how come your turbo is not capable of anymore boost?
is it because of your engine management setup or because its a [retty small turbo?

panda[cRx]
27-10-2004, 06:02 PM
couldnt that have gone all in ONE post?

PhatSol
27-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Weq can't you get the MAP sensor add on for the E-Manage so it can handle more boost?

Lyle_Style
27-10-2004, 10:14 PM
you love being a smart ass dont u mate,
and no sorry i though of those things at different times, my apologies

']couldnt that have gone all in ONE post?

Weq
27-10-2004, 11:08 PM
dear god. i saw 6 replies and thought sick, some good ideas..

life_style: ur suggestions are valid, but dont make much sense (is that possible?) my bottom end is stock, the 15g has more then enough balls to snap the little twigs that pose as my rods.

If u read the start of the thread u would see i am taking the head off due to other reasons. Im doing it, not a mechanic, so its not alot of money. A new turbo, lol. Thats 2k right there cause i would need a new mani and downpipe to say the least. Then bottom end cause my current sure as hell wont take it.

Ok soooo, I NEED CRITISIM ON THE PROPOSED SETUp... will the couple of compression points even make a great difference guys?

Phatsol: yes that is an option. If i dont do the compression thats what i'll do.. i just want to know basically if those couple of points of compression will really jepordise the motor that much?

Rufes1
27-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Id say scrap the idea completely, Changeing gaskets and putting in new cams is looking at a low of money only a little bit of extra power and more chance for detonation.
Id say get rid of the TD04 as its only like a 150 - 200hp turbo, sell the piggy back.

Buy a Td05 16G wich is a little bigger and good for 300hp. This would be an easy turbo upgrade to change over at a much smaller cost then what you are talking. Running the same boost on this will be more power. Then a good standalone engine management system with a new custom map should get you some extra power again still at the same boost, and a decomp gasket + injectors would make your baby good for 15lbs.

All this with selling your old gear + a bit of extra cash will be heaps cheaper then what you are talking

R.O.F.L.M.A.O

ECU-MAN
27-10-2004, 11:52 PM
I can only recomend a 3 bar map sensor, as long as your engine management system can handle it.

Chi
28-10-2004, 12:07 AM
I agree to disagree

Lyle_Style
28-10-2004, 05:23 AM
ok well get a new map so it can see the extra lbs and then decompress

Lyle_Style
28-10-2004, 05:24 AM
what is so funny?

R.O.F.L.M.A.O

Weq
28-10-2004, 11:16 PM
just to let u guys know, after some research im gonna be putting the y8 gasket on.. .027" and it will up the compression .2.

Weq
28-10-2004, 11:26 PM
whats ur turbo setup lyle? take u long to put together?

Rufes1
28-10-2004, 11:42 PM
So i will be adding a few more points to the compression scale

so dropping the compression and upping the boost is not an option

ok well get a new map so it can see the extra lbs and then decompress

what is so funny?

YOU, your bloody hilarious. Maybe if you read over your post you will find it funny too. Or do you actually beleive what your saying?

Just to recap you basically said. Selling his current setup, and buying a td05 16g, "turbo upgrade to change over at a much smaller cost then what you are talking". smaller cost than a cam, head gasket and head studs?

Maybe next time you should think twice before offering "eperienced help"

wynode
28-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Sounds good :)