PDA

View Full Version : turbo/test pipe???

flipstar
02-04-2009, 07:34 AM
hey guys i have got a greddy turbo kit on my s2k and a full toda exhaust with a toda test pipe as well i was told i couldnt use my test pipe for some reason but when i got it on it feels like there is alot of bottom to mid range power but when i put my stock cat on the car feels alot smoother is there any reason for this?? should i keep the stock cat on or is it possible to retune with the test pipe?

lookingforboost
02-04-2009, 09:08 AM
any change in mods on a a turbo car let alone a S2K will require a retune once changed, you will be feeling a power increase due to less restriciton in the exhaust, the stock cat will be robbing both power and prone to over heat with the new turbo kit.

dont use just your test pipe as 1) you will never meet emission standards and 2) if you get done with no cat then you will be most certainly fined.

change the cat over to a good brand 3" high flow item get some extra power and be legal :) then get a retune

Cheers

SHOGUNOVDDRK
02-04-2009, 09:11 AM
As already mentioned, Get a Hi-Flow Cat.

krogoth
02-04-2009, 11:14 AM
and test pipes are obvious, sure u can get a re-tune with the test pipe

but i reckon u can tell a car with no cat from a mile away

smell, noise, smoke

SLOWEGG
02-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Metal Cat.

Limbo
02-04-2009, 02:56 PM
no cat is a $10,000 fine i believe.

Steel cat is the way to go

lookingforboost
02-04-2009, 04:16 PM
and test pipes are obvious, sure u can get a re-tune with the test pipe

but i reckon u can tell a car with no cat from a mile away

smell, noise, smoke

and if its a little bit rich of a tune... the odd flame :p kinda a dead give away

not sure what the going price is up there for a 3" cat i can get all different types of exhaust cats xforce mufflers etc from my supplier can get a 3" magna high flow for $250 atm

nigs
09-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Curious about that whole $10,000 fine thing.
It's common knowledge but has it ever been enforced?

I've seen a car get checked over by QLD DOT and the notice actually says "install correct exhaust system, including a CAT"

No fine. Defects just had to be cleared.

And as everyone has said, cars with no CATs are spotted a mile away.
If I drove the car on a regular basis, I'd get a CAT simply to get rid of that smell and fumes it leaves. Gets rather annoying, especially on a F/I car.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
10-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Curious about that whole $10,000 fine thing.
It's common knowledge but has it ever been enforced?

Happens fairly offen here in Sydney.

NVD52K
10-04-2009, 06:04 PM
i have the same exhaust setup with the test pipe yes it does smell although its not as loud as what you think it would be

Benson
10-04-2009, 06:33 PM
For the sake of an extra 2-3kw, leave the CAT on. I've seen ppl achieve over 150kw (N/A) using a stock S2k CAT. 10,000 fine doesnt justify the small gains

FastFwd
15-04-2009, 08:07 AM
I have a Test pipe...aka a Cat with a 3inch through it. Car runs alot nicer without the cat but yes there is the whole $10,000 fine issue which can only be given to you if you get caught putting one of these on or some evidence of you installing it yourself. I used to have a straight pipe where the cat was. Every time i got a yellow in the past and got questioned about it i would just say that it was on there when i bought the car.

Im not saying this is correct but cat with a pipe through it hasnt caused me any problems. i've been over the pits 4 times with it and they never say anything.

Blue
30-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Only use the stock cat if its in good nick obviously - but yeah - just get a hiflow cat and retune which is going to cost atleast 400 bucks