PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys - Has this ever happen?

azn_oz_accord
02-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Hi guys!

I just brought myself an 1998 Honda Accord

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=Honda+Accord+1998&btnG=Search+Images

It drives fine until a couple of days ago, I had a problem wear the Car is stuck on parking!. So I will try and start up the car, it will run, but i can't move the stick away from Parking. Its just stuck there and won't budge. I was wondering if there are any accord experts or someone that this has happened to them can help me?

I'm kinda stressed right now and hope its nothing serious.

Hope you guys can give me some advice.

Thanks

j.meng87
02-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Auto transmission? If yes, you have to depress the brake pedal to shift out from P (Park).

azn_oz_accord
02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Auto transmission? If yes, you have to depress the brake pedal to shift out from P (Park).

hi there! I tried breaking and the P still won't budge.

The only way for me to drive it right at this time is to shift lock! Put it on Neutral, then start up the engine to drive.

Do you know the problem and how to fix it?

JDM-EGG
02-04-2009, 03:50 PM
best of just going to ur local mechanic to get it checked out .. simple mate

or call lube mobile if u cant get it going

azn_oz_accord
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
best of just going to ur local mechanic to get it checked out .. simple mate

or call lube mobile if u cant get it going

Yea, i brought it to the Honda Service place, they attempted fixing the car, it worked for one day, where the P wasn't stuck. I drove it off, then the next day in the morning I couldn't move the P-again.

So i think i have to bring it back to them to have a look again, when I have the time. I couldn't go today cause was in University all day. Was wondering if any of u guys who has an accord or have known this problem b4, could help me out.

But thats ok! I will drive it back to the Honda people tomorrow.

aaronng
02-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Check your brake switch. Are your brake lights working when you press the pedal down?

azn_oz_accord
02-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Check your brake switch. Are your brake lights working when you press the pedal down?

yeah, the break light switch doesn't work. The fuse was blown up. But everytime i change the fuse, the break lights switch will work but ony for a short time. There has to be a reason by the fuse is always blowing up causing the break lights to stop working. So i dunno the reason at this pt, Hopefully i can fix it soon.

interfooler
02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
It's either the brake or the horn. They are both linked to the same fuse. And you can't shift out of P when this fuse is blown.

I feel strange that your fuse only works for a short time. Looks like wiring problem to me..

azn_oz_accord
03-04-2009, 11:04 AM
It's either the brake or the horn. They are both linked to the same fuse. And you can't shift out of P when this fuse is blown.

I feel strange that your fuse only works for a short time. Looks like wiring problem to me..

Thanks for the advice. I brought it to the Honda service ppzl to look at today, so they will try and let me know whats wrong.

If its a break problem, do i change the breaks?

if it the horn problem, do i remove the horns and replace them? Does any horn work or do i have to go and buy the original honda horn form the service department?

I'm hoping its not some wiring problem, cause its gonna be harder to fix.

Ek9BRO
03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
fk that would suck.

aaronng
04-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the advice. I brought it to the Honda service ppzl to look at today, so they will try and let me know whats wrong.

If its a break problem, do i change the breaks?

if it the horn problem, do i remove the horns and replace them? Does any horn work or do i have to go and buy the original honda horn form the service department?

I'm hoping its not some wiring problem, cause its gonna be harder to fix.
You don't replace the brakes. It can be caused either by wiring, the bulbs in the rear and third brake light exceeding the fuse capacity or the horn shorting.

azn_oz_accord
04-04-2009, 10:49 AM
You don't replace the brakes. It can be caused either by wiring, the bulbs in the rear and third brake light exceeding the fuse capacity or the horn shorting.

oh ok! yea, the honda service ppzl said they think its something to do with the horn because the fuse always blow out when the horn is connected and used. but when the disconnect the horn then the fuse is ok, so the break light works and i'm not stuck in p again.

So i would have to replace the horns?

They're charging me $180 for 2 horns. Thats pretty expensive for 2 horns, i thought it was alot cheaper. does anyone know?

Atm, because i have to buy soo many books for uni i dun have much cash. Do you guys think i should just not worry about replacing the horns or like for safety and such i should get it replace right away. Cuz i'm thinking, I never use the horns when i drive anyways but...........hrmmmm.......maybe i should get it replaced just as a precaution.

viper8548
04-04-2009, 05:00 PM
oh ok! yea, the honda service ppzl said they think its something to do with the horn because the fuse always blow out when the horn is connected and used. but when the disconnect the horn then the fuse is ok, so the break light works and i'm not stuck in p again.

So i would have to replace the horns?

They're charging me $180 for 2 horns. Thats pretty expensive for 2 horns, i thought it was alot cheaper. does anyone know?

Atm, because i have to buy soo many books for uni i dun have much cash. Do you guys think i should just not worry about replacing the horns or like for safety and such i should get it replace right away. Cuz i'm thinking, I never use the horns when i drive anyways but...........hrmmmm.......maybe i should get it replaced just as a precaution.

Can you just get 1 horn? lol

aaronng
04-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Buy the horn from repco. gt an aftermarket bosch one

azn_oz_accord
05-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Buy the horn from repco. gt an aftermarket bosch one

Cool! I'll go repco and check it out.

Think those guys from honda are ripping me off. But thanks for all u guys who have replied.

vtec_jet
29-04-2009, 04:19 PM
I had a similair problem!

It only happened to me ONCE ever in the 4 years ive owned the car.

The stick was just stuck in 'P'. I would hold down the brake and the button just would'nt press in. I never got it checked, and it never happened again.

Thought it would've been the transmission as these accords have had extensive tranny problems. I've had the transmission replaced anyway.

Any updates if the problem has been fixed ?

azn_oz_accord
30-04-2009, 10:30 AM
I had a similair problem!

It only happened to me ONCE ever in the 4 years ive owned the car.

The stick was just stuck in 'P'. I would hold down the brake and the button just would'nt press in. I never got it checked, and it never happened again.

Thought it would've been the transmission as these accords have had extensive tranny problems. I've had the transmission replaced anyway.

Any updates if the problem has been fixed ?

Hi there!

Yeah, the problem has been fixed. Turned out i had multiple problems.

1st - My break lights keeps blowing.
2nd - There was something wrong with the horns.

I had the horns replaced, changed the break lights and fuse.

ALL FIXED!

Hope that helps.