PDA

View Full Version : wat oil to get??

J-MuN
27-10-2004, 06:11 PM
hey y'all...
was just pondering...bout to do a service and was wondering your opinions on wat oil i should use.. my em1 has done 59,000kms n been using motul oil but have heard that there is no need to use such an expensive oil... wat oil brand and type do you guys reckon i should use....?

cheers :D
J-MuN :wave:

Psyklops
27-10-2004, 06:15 PM
search search search...many threads on this topic dude :) I use Motul, and I ain't gonna skimp by using some cheap crap...just keep using it dude..

aznsiko
27-10-2004, 07:15 PM
hey y'all...
was just pondering...bout to do a service and was wondering your opinions on wat oil i should use.. my em1 has done 59,000kms n been using motul oil but have heard that there is no need to use such an expensive oil... wat oil brand and type do you guys reckon i should use....?

cheers :D
J-MuN :wave:

i use valvoline.. and its pretty good..

J-MuN
27-10-2004, 07:20 PM
anyone used the oil from honda dealers?... the type R oil?.. had recommendations from other honda drivers...

PhatSol
27-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Search Please!

joneblaze
27-10-2004, 09:40 PM
"Type R oil"? FEO?

SIKCVC
27-10-2004, 09:52 PM
bah, if you want to drive hardish, dont skimp... its not that much more expencive really! big deal an extra $20 for peace of mind.

Kit
27-10-2004, 10:10 PM
Hey J-Mun, how expensive is the Motul oil you use?

I have *heard* that motul aren't really all that good.. but i can't say for sure as I have never used it..

when I had my civic, I never used to skimp on the servicing.. and I used Mobil 1 Gold Label 10w30 (the real full synthetic stuff, not the kmart stuff)... it was a very good oil, but also very expensive... and I had to buy it in 20L drums from the distributor as this oil was not readily available...

I highly recommend this oil for the B16a... but i know mobil have released a new range of oils since then and I don't know how the formula has changed.

Other oils you may want to try are the Castrol R 0w30

J-MuN
27-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Hey J-Mun, how expensive is the Motul oil you use?

I have *heard* that motul aren't really all that good.. but i can't say for sure as I have never used it..

when I had my civic, I never used to skimp on the servicing.. and I used Mobil 1 Gold Label 10w30 (the real full synthetic stuff, not the kmart stuff)... it was a very good oil, but also very expensive... and I had to buy it in 20L drums from the distributor as this oil was not readily available...

I highly recommend this oil for the B16a... but i know mobil have released a new range of oils since then and I don't know how the formula has changed.

Other oils you may want to try are the Castrol R 0w30

thanks Kit for your recommendations... will definitely keep those in mind..
its not that i'm trying to skimp... no way i'd wanna be a tightass just to save a few bucks and later on, having my car suffer cos i've skimped.. nah not that kinda guy.. was just wondering bout the honda oil that i'd heard off... supposedly its meant to be real good... :confused: was just wondering if anyone knew anything bout them...

Lyle_Style
27-10-2004, 10:25 PM
mobil 1 oil or,shell helix ultra!

Kit
27-10-2004, 11:07 PM
thanks Kit for your recommendations... will definitely keep those in mind..
its not that i'm trying to skimp... no way i'd wanna be a tightass just to save a few bucks and later on, having my car suffer cos i've skimped.. nah not that kinda guy.. was just wondering bout the honda oil that i'd heard off... supposedly its meant to be real good... :confused: was just wondering if anyone knew anything bout them...

well put it this way....
it doesn't really matter what oil you use.. if you change it regularly, then your car will be fine and what oil you use won't cause any damage to the engine...

one thing that a better oil does is lubricate better, allow the car to rev freer, and ultimately make the car produce slightly more power.

i was really anal about the maintenance on my car, thats why i used the expensive mobil 1 10w30 oil and I also changed it every 5000km...

I may be wrong here, but i dont believe the honda factory oils are full synthetic... and usually, you can easily get oils that are better than factory stuff.. but having said that, i have heard that the Honda Type R oil is pretty good.

sivic
28-10-2004, 12:23 AM
yeah, the honda FEO oil isn't fully synthetic. Castrol R 5w30 goes a treat

J-MuN
28-10-2004, 05:27 PM
thanks a lot guys....sum real helpful tips... a few different oils recommended, sooo many to choose from.. i'll try do some research on each :p

Cyrus
19-11-2004, 03:38 PM
valvoline....i used mobil 1 before and valvoline is a lot better, they don't get dirty or lose their vicosity as fast

blackek
19-11-2004, 05:46 PM
recommend honda genuine oild!

J-MuN
19-11-2004, 08:46 PM
recommend honda genuine oild!
yeh i was thinking that... heard it was value for money :p nah.. jk but runs well but i heard of the "Type R" oil but now it seems they dont produce that no more...

DCLXVI
19-11-2004, 10:03 PM
no one using castrol magnetic?

joneblaze
19-11-2004, 10:08 PM
no one using castrol magnetic?

Used it once in the DC4 when Honda was closed for FEO on a Sunday.
Seemed to perform 97% similar to FEO to me.... I'll account placebo effect for the other 3%. :)

Lyle_Style
19-11-2004, 10:52 PM
mobil 1 or shell ultra

kenshin
19-11-2004, 11:02 PM
castrol's too thin... 5-30
i use mobil full syn... but heard shell isnt bad...

but i'm fully turnned off shell products since finding out optimax is causing the back carbon dust on my rear bumper ... -_-

edw-R
03-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Continous to use motul 300v. That's the best when i try different oil. Good luck

flipmods
03-12-2004, 12:54 AM
I use FULLY SYNTHETIC castrol Magnatec 10-40w, You may not have heard of fully synthetic Magnatec cause it is not sold in shops. Anyway I got 100L so anyone who wants some bring your container and I can sell it for $30 for 5L. PM if interested.