PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor

Bownce
02-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi there guys

My Car: EK1 hatch with EK9 parts/components

Recently everytime I press the a/c button a whizzing sound was being generated so I recently took the car to an auto a/c workshop. The person iformed me that the a/c compressor needs to be replaced. Because the current component is imported it is difficult to find but was able to source the same brand designed for newer models. Unfortunately the price he quoted for the component is very $$$ plus installation and I am looking at $1,650.

My question is: (which i should have asked him)

Do I need a specific type of compressor for my a/c unit. Wont a compressor from a VTIR or CXi or GLi do the job. Are they really that costly as well?

Thanks heaps guys
Any input is appreciated.

hayashi_1986
02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
You can pick up a second hand or reco one for anywhere between 100 - 200 bux. He's trying to shaft you. What your looking for is the Air Con Compressor, not an 'Air Compressor' :) Tell the guy to 'F*** Off' ;) Btw, buy the compressor and find someone else to fit it. They might have to re-gas and fit it all up. Re-gas and purge (don't try it yourself...you'll get poisoned) is 50-70 bux depending where you go and no more than 100-150 for the fitment.

Bownce
02-04-2009, 04:02 PM
appreciate the advise mate!
he was saying $950 for the a/c compressor and $700 odd for the labor. Flag that is pretty much what i thought as well.

Thanks dude!

hayashi_1986
02-04-2009, 08:26 PM
No worries,

I'd rather stable my ballz to a wall than pay that asshole your hard earned money. I hate mechs and shops who try and f' people over. Good luck with that mate, look for a wreckers close buy where you are. Not sure of any in Southbank, but there are at least three or four in my area if your interested. Let me know if your keen and I'll help you pick one up.

Bownce
03-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Someone from here actually offered to send me a bseries a/c compressor for a reasonable price to my door step.

Because I am in Melb and the car is in Adelaide my sister has been driving it around to the mechanics for me. Anyway the dude that said $1650 for the job charged her $75 for a quote. If I can get the part/job done for much cheaper I am going to go back to him and ask how he can charge $75 for bullsh1t information. Something is not right there. Anyway i wont jump to conclusions just yet.

hayashi_1986
04-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Quotes should be free to start. Get your money back from that f***tard grease monkey.

sik-vic
07-04-2009, 12:40 PM
thats a bit rough $75 for a diagnosis..... we charge $45 for a diagnosis if the repair isnt carried out, youll only be looking at around 2 hours to remove and replace and gas the system so $750 labour is crazy, as said previous tell him to F$%K off and try and get your $75 back...

sik-vic
07-04-2009, 12:42 PM
PM me were the quote was given id be interested to find out

thepope1986
07-04-2009, 06:04 PM
if your in melbourne go to hondaworld in clayton they have a friggin huge shed full of whatever you could ever want and prices arent too bad

hayashi_1986
07-04-2009, 09:16 PM
if your in melbourne go to hondaworld in clayton they have a friggin huge shed full of whatever you could ever want and prices arent too bad

Could you mean Hondwreck? Otherwise there's Imlachs as well.

thepope1986
15-04-2009, 05:42 PM
no i mean hondaworld

02gzm
16-04-2009, 12:45 PM
That price seems about right for the parts. If you want to check it yourself go into a repco or ashdown-ingram (repco's sister company that they buy rotating electrical goods from) and ask for a price on a CXS3062. It's the compressor for a B16 but I'm pretty sure it's the same one for D-series engines as well.

Getting a reconditioned or 2nd hand Denso unit is probably the best idea though. Will be a lot cheaper