PDA

View Full Version : Rotor removal help

Gio
03-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Hey guys,

I need to change my wheel studs on my ek1. I found some DIY's on how to do it but i was wondering if you HAVE to use a press or not.

For example here is the DIY - http://www.automotiveforums.com/t290211.html

In other words can i take the rotor off to get to the studs without a press?

If they do need to be pressed off is it possible just to take the assebly to a workshop and get them to do it? The reason i ask is because my car is jacked up in the garage with threaded studs so there is no way the car can go anywhere.

Any help will be appreciated.

Chris.

EK1.6LCIV
03-04-2009, 09:57 AM
you with free2go still? if not join up with RACQ and have it towed for free for up to 10km

they'll also include a nice voucher book with coupons for 20% off for Super Cheap (tool moneys) and other attractions, excellent value for $50 to join :D

then get a workshop to help ya Chris :D

ek4-guy
03-04-2009, 10:04 AM
just take the bake disc off get a hammer and belt the studs

then put the new stud in place a couple of large washers over the thread then put an open end wheel nut on backwards (put it on backwards so the tapered end is facing outwards this will help pull the new stud in straight

Gio
03-04-2009, 10:26 AM
just take the bake disc off get a hammer and belt the studs

then put the new stud in place a couple of large washers over the thread then put an open end wheel nut on backwards (put it on backwards so the tapered end is facing outwards this will help pull the new stud in straight

Do u mean put some washers between the rotor and the nut when pulling the stud through?

Sir_vtec
03-04-2009, 10:28 AM
theres no room to wiggle the wheel studs out unless u want to shave the stud butt abit to take it out but then u'd need to do the same for putting the new one in and it weakens the metal. u must press the hub out from hub arm in order to change studs.

Change bearings at same time too.

Yes take the whole arm to a workshop to get it pressed out.

Gio
03-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Darryl got his out and in and they are not shaved?

ek different to eg?

ek4-guy
03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
yeah between the nut and the hub (not the brake rotor as you take that off)

If you look at the stud you will notice the end with the head is slightly thicker than the threaded bit. When you look at an installed stud you will notice this bit comes through a mm orr 2 if you don't use a washer thick enough to cover that bit the nut wont go on far enough

ek4-guy
03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Darryl got his out and in and they are not shaved?

ek different to eg?

i only did my rears because the extended studs wouldn't fit in the front without removing the hub

just knock a front one in and if you can wiggle it out you can get a new one in

from memory i removed a front one but couldn't fit the extended one in (but i got the front one out then got it back in)

Sir_vtec
03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
are u doing the fronts or rear?

I could not get my fronts out without pressing out the hub

p.s: i have not tried rear yet. sorry lol

Gio
03-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Im doing the front, why wouldnt yours come off?

Is the brake rotor just meant to slide off darry?

Gio
03-04-2009, 11:45 AM
And what do i un-do the screws on the hub with???

IZY-10
03-04-2009, 11:57 AM
And what do i un-do the screws on the hub with???

with a screw driver. They are really tight though. As mentioned above you have to take the whole arm off so you can press out the bearing. So you cannot do-it your self correctly without a bearing press

Gio
03-04-2009, 12:05 PM
So i have to take the whole fkn arm off?

Any directions on how, i see a ****load of places to undo to get it off, do u know which bolts etc to undo?

Should i undo the screws before taking it to a shop?

IZY-10
03-04-2009, 12:13 PM
no just take it the the shop. They can do one side in less than 1/2 an hour

Gio
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
My studs are threaded so the nuts are ****ed and will not screw on so i cant exactly drive there unless i can with only 3 done up

IZY-10
03-04-2009, 01:01 PM
u can with only 3 done up assuming its 3 on one wheel. Just be cautiouse ie no vtecing around corners lol

vinnY
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
i personally had to press the front hub out to remove studs and install extended studs on my 4x114.3 setup, though darryl somehow managed to get the fronts out without having to remove the hub

it's not hard to do if you have the tools lying around
to remove the hub you'll need to pop the lower ball joint, tie rod ball joint and upper control arm ball joints, remove the spindle nut and unbolt the brake caliper
the entire knuckle should just fall out for you to remove

probably be looking at using a ball joint remover, 14mm and 17mm socket for the ball joint castle nuts, 12mm for the brake caliper bolts to remove it from the bracket and a 32mm nut to remove the spindle nut

don't forget to get some new split pins to replace the ones you remove

Sir_vtec
03-04-2009, 01:16 PM
u need a impact driver to remove the screws man. dont use a screw driver, u ll round the screw and have to drill it out and replace the rotor screws.

I couldnt take my front out because there was not enough room between the arm and hub, so i used a angle grinder to shave abit off the butt to allow me to pull it out. i only did this for temproary fix but dont do this.

If u cant take the rotor off, put ur caplier back on and drive down to the workshop. 3 studs on each wheel is ok if u drive slow and take care.

vinnY
03-04-2009, 01:20 PM
sir_vtec is just a wuss, you can remove the rotor screws if you get a large screw driver that fits into the threads perfectly and use your bodyweight to push against the screw and turn ;)
i was able to do this with the hubs off the car after i manage to snap the tips on my impact screw driver on the other hubs

Sir_vtec
03-04-2009, 01:33 PM
im just playing it safe.

Because after all the years and the rotor screws has never been removed ever since it left the factory its a hard bitch. I rounded mine even with a perfect fit screw driver so i had to drill it out and its a real bitch.

Pay $20 for a impact driver and makes life so much easier why not? lol

Gio
03-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Haha^

Thanks guys.

I got 2 lugs in fine but the other 2 are ****ed, but they are on!! They get to a certain tightness and then wont tighten anymore lol

So im gonna go down to the shops maybe tomorrow and get it fixed.

IZY-10
03-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Just be carefull. Watch how he does it so you can learn how to do it.
Also do t forget you will need a wheel alignment afterwards

Gio
03-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Going in on monday and getting them to do it.

Couldnt be bothered fvcking around anymore. Needed a impact driver.

Sir_vtec
04-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Needed a impact driver.

Amen :wave: