View Full Version : Fitting breather tank to NA b series

atmoek
03-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi,
looking at fitting a breather tank to my hi powered NA b18c
i'm looking at puttin one of the kits that go into the back of the block
i will be removing the black ventilation box and blocking the ventilation hole
just a few questions,
Should i allow it to drain back to the block, or just have it to manualy drain it?
Should i still run the PCV? and if so where do i put it?
What do i do with the hole in the block that also vents back into the the blck box?
Also should i run a 2nd catch can and drill holes into the valve cover or is that to much for my engine?

any help appreciated

markoJEK1
03-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Breather tank / oil catch can is what you are referring to? If so ,

Keep the PCV canister ( black box at the back of the motor)
run the line from that into one of the ports of the catch can

Run a line from the rocker cover breather port to the other port on the catch can.

By-pass the PCV as it will be useless and wont perform as it needs vaccum. A catch can is design to stop the PCV doing what it does - throw oil back into the manifold

Thats all that is needed imo, save yourself headaches and money. Have a manual drain. easy.

Mind you to have this setup its advised that you have a catch can that has its own breather / vents to air, other wise its prone to pressure build up inside the catch can.

Thats my 2 cents . And the way I will run mine.

atmoek
03-04-2009, 07:29 PM
b series have a bad problem of high crank case pressures when modiified which im tryin to elimnate and that setup would not be efficent enough.

but thanx for the help anyway

Lukezen27
03-04-2009, 08:08 PM
b series have a bad problem of high crank case pressures when modiified which im tryin to elimnate and that setup would not be efficent enough.

but thanx for the help anyway

You need a Baffled Moroso Breather tank and put anti-fuel foam inside..
Vent to atmo is best for venting pressure but its illegal...
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=13400

Run 11mm non collapsing hose on all the 10mm nipples to allow maximum air flow..

There are a few different install configs

ZeForce
03-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Im currently running 1/2" hosing from the two spouts at the back of the block which are usually blocked by large hex plugs, the spouts are a genuine honda item from the prelude but fit in the back of the B series block. I have them both going to a moroso breather tank which is internally baffled and is vented to the atmoshpere and this setup seems to work well. One hose connects the to inlet and the other is used for a drain back however it would still provide extra flow into the tank if needed. If you still require more ventilation in the case of extremely long stroke and/or high RPM then add a couple more 1/2" nipples to the valve cover and run another moroso breather tank also vented to the atmoshpere.

atmoek
03-04-2009, 09:14 PM
you dont happen to no the part number of the moroso tank or the genuine fittings? and what to do with the line that goes from the black box to the lower part of the block

Lukezen27
03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Im currently running 1/2" hosing from the two spouts at the back of the block which are usually blocked by large hex plugs, the spouts are a genuine honda item from the prelude but fit in the back of the B series block. I have them both going to a moroso breather tank which is internally baffled and is vented to the atmoshpere and this setup seems to work well. One hose connects the to inlet and the other is used for a drain back however it would still provide extra flow into the tank if needed. If you still require more ventilation in the case of extremely long stroke and/or RPM then add a couple more 1/2" nipples to the valve cover and run another moroso breathering tank also vented to the atmoshpere.

ZeForce on the money there... That's the simple and easiest way to do it :thumbsup:

Only problem is the legality of venting to atmo plus I couldn't stand the vapor smell :p

I've welded a 1/8" nipple to the top of the moroso tank and plumbed it back to intake pipe for legal reasons and passing engineering
http://www.scruffie.com/luke/car/pcv_catch_can2.jpg

atmoek
03-04-2009, 09:35 PM
so you have moved the drain plug to the side where does the bottom one go? on the link you sent me which tank is the one you used? and is there any moroso dealers in Aus

Lukezen27
03-04-2009, 09:35 PM
you dont happen to no the part number of the moroso tank or the genuine fittings? and what to do with the line that goes from the black box to the lower part of the block

My using Moroso dry sump breather tank No:85470 got mine from http://www.rocketindustries.com.au

Mine goes

PCV value (Black Box) to Moroso tank (side connection)

Moroso tank top connector to intake piping

I've not plumbed mine back yet as the D's don't have any access ports on the block so the bottom connector on the Moroso tank is blocked.

Now I have a B I'll plumb it back soon

ZeForce
03-04-2009, 09:39 PM

Check the link that Lukezen27 posted before, I am using one similar to the third one down in that list. As for the spouts they are 11107-PK2-003 from 98-01 Honda Prelude I believe they were originally designed as an oil cooler joint but works well as a PCV spout on the B series block. There is also a washer they goes with the joint that you may or may not have to buy separately, I would ask the guy in spare parts about it at your local Honda dealer.