PDA

View Full Version : Tein parts for EK

VTECnique
04-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Time to do some suspension mods. looking at getting either the S.Tech lowered springs, or the basic dampers. id love to get super streets, but me car will never see a track, its only a daily driver. i want it a lower than standard, fitting fat fives in the near future.

On the fulcrum website, it only lists part numbers for the EK9, i have an EK1, just want to double check that i can use EK9 sussy parts on my EK1.

oh, & if anyones got any shots of an EK with tein s.techs or basic dampers, feel free to post em up. Thanks in advance,
Justin

mrwillz
04-04-2009, 01:02 PM
you should be fine using the ek9 parts onto your ek1

simonnowis
04-04-2009, 01:21 PM
tein super street coilovers arent that harsh. It can be set so its nearly as soft as stock springs. I have mine on the hardest setting and its still soft for daily driving on sydney's crappy roads.

outatime
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
i have that tein stech for ek4/ek9 on my EK1. of course it will fit your car! best bang for buck. i recommend it if you're not tracking your car. they are progressive springs - good ride quality and firm handling.

VTECnique
04-04-2009, 01:42 PM
outatime - did the stechs lower your car much? There's 2 versions of the stechs, the jp/au version (SKH36-M1B00) & us version (SKA24-AUB00). the us stechs have a 1.9"f/1.7"r drop, but the au/jp stechs only have a -23mm f/ -15mm r drop. which ones have you got? & do u have any shots

Reason im thinking of going for basic dampers, since im getting new springs, i may aswell get new dampers aswell. I got quoted $1800 for super streets, believe me if i had the money id get them, but realistically my car is only a daily driver, & will never see a track, so i will never be able to use the super streets to there full potential!

outatime
04-04-2009, 01:59 PM
i got the jap/au version. the drop isnt that bad. it gives the car an agressive stance and sporty appearance. it's practical, i can go through all driveways and humps without scraping.

i'll pm u the pic shortly..

Red_EG4
04-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Did you get a quote on the basic dampers?
If the choice is between the Basic Dampers and the Super Streets, definitely pay the extra for the S.S's (even if you have to save a bit longer, I'm sure you won't regret doing so). I've experienced the basic damper in the front of a Commodore and the ride is fairly harsh, whereas with the S.S's you can adjust the damper to soften it up.

Is there any reason you are going with Tein? Spoon progressive springs are something I suggest you have a look into also.
If you aren't looking for height adjustment you can look into a good spring and shock combo.

VTECnique
04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
i need something that rides nicely, as the misses uses the car aswell. i just may have to go with a spring/shock combo. SS' are just too much, ill be flat out getting the Stechs!

Im going with Tein because there's a Fulcrum in Cairns...

outatime
04-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Spoon is overpriced and won't give your car that much drop. It's only 20mm drop, that's about 0.7 inches. also gives the car a big gap at the front..

pm sent vtecnique

MikeyG
04-04-2009, 05:09 PM
dude 1800 for SS your kidding.. these SS and basic damper on ebay both Tein for 1000 jesus get them dude.

REMEMBER TEIN SS ISNT MEANT TO LOWERING... the rears go very low the front doesnt. only way to make the front lower is to use only 1 plate

ScottyF
04-04-2009, 08:41 PM
be sure to check out auto access (or it might be access auto) they have stech for ek for 270 and tein coilovers for 1000 limited time only.

I just had stech delivered :)

ceeazian
04-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Access Autoworks, offering limited time only Tein Basic Coilovers? Sounds like an excellent buy for $1000. however, for the sake of spending this much and being let down has anybody got these on an EK with pictures? with comments on ride for a daily driver? how low is low without sacrificing the ride? As soon as you see coilovers for $1000 you want to get them! feedback..

VTECnique
05-04-2009, 06:46 AM
I've experienced the basic damper in the front of a Commodore and the ride is fairly harsh, whereas with the S.S's you can adjust the damper to soften it up.

here are the specs for the us versions for the 96-00 civics
http://www.tein.com/tech_info/h98.html
Dunno if the spring rates for the au basic dampers would be the same, but i guess we could use it as a rough estimate...

VTECnique
05-04-2009, 06:50 AM
dude 1800 for SS your kidding.. these SS and basic damper on ebay both Tein for 1000 jesus get them dude.

REMEMBER TEIN SS ISNT MEANT TO LOWERING... the rears go very low the front doesnt. only way to make the front lower is to use only 1 plate

Just looked on ebay for both SS & basics. all from us retailers, SS' were around $1600 & basics were around $1100. by the time you factor in shipping, i would honestly just rather buy them locally. i think 1800 for brand new SS' is a fair price...

VTECnique
05-04-2009, 07:18 AM
it aint a honda, but its the only basic damper review i could find
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=66659.0

Huggyb
05-04-2009, 11:05 AM
has anyone got a pic of the s.techs on an ek?

and they are pretty comfortable to drive on arent they?

VTECnique
05-04-2009, 11:19 AM
i have that tein stech for ek4/ek9 on my EK1. of course it will fit your car! best bang for buck. i recommend it if you're not tracking your car. they are progressive springs - good ride quality and firm handling.

that may answer your question. the fulcrum website has the spring rates fopr the stechs aswell...

Red_EG4
05-04-2009, 02:25 PM
here are the specs for the us versions for the 96-00 civics
http://www.tein.com/tech_info/h98.html
Dunno if the spring rates for the au basic dampers would be the same, but i guess we could use it as a rough estimate...
Most people may disagree with me but those are reasonably hard springs.
Fulcrum adjusts some of the spring rates and valving on their Tein coilovers to suit Aussie conditions better.
Did the workers in at Fulcrum have any helpful information for you?

Just put simply, you are going after a nice little drop and a bit firmer ride/improved handling. Aren't you?
Maybe it would be best to get the S Techs and save for some SS's later on down the track.

VTECnique
06-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Red EG4 - thats exactly what im after. i may for now just go the stechs, im also looking closely at front & rear sway bars now, & some new lcas...

Red_EG4
06-04-2009, 04:55 PM
sway bars will add to the ride stiffness alot.
any reason for the lca's?

VTECnique
07-04-2009, 08:56 AM
no real reason for the lca's, looking at the blox or megans, apart from shaving some weight & strong, thats about it.

Ive just realised, since im going to fit these stechs myself, i have to take all the plastic surround on the inside at the rear off to get to the top of the strut. Is it a pretty straight forward install?

defect
07-04-2009, 09:13 AM
i bought tein ss 2nd hand for $800 bucks deliveried from perth. they were rebuilt at the beginning of the year too.
they only worth just a little over a grand brand new.
1800 for ss is a super rort!
ss is pretty good for the street, i have my car lowered 2.5 inches yet havent lost any comfort, its like stock

Red_EG4
07-04-2009, 04:05 PM
no real reason for the lca's, looking at the blox or megans, apart from shaving some weight & strong, thats about it.

Ive just realised, since im going to fit these stechs myself, i have to take all the plastic surround on the inside at the rear off to get to the top of the strut. Is it a pretty straight forward install?

there isn't just a small section that pops off?

VTECnique
08-04-2009, 07:27 AM
hey, you can get to them through the rear speaker mounts with an extention.

Anyway, for now im going with the STech springs, when tax time comes im going to grab some then, i will post pics of the car before & after...

Red_EG4
08-04-2009, 03:44 PM
hey, you can get to them through the rear speaker mounts with an extention.

Anyway, for now im going with the STech springs, when tax time comes im going to grab some then, i will post pics of the car before & after...
Good choice and good luck :thumbsup:
You are going to DIY by the sounds of things, got the all the tools?
I personally think the LCAs will be a waste of money, spend that cash on good rubber.

VTECnique
10-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Yeah, i think i may give the lcas a miss for now, put the money towards motor mounts for a swap...

Red_EG4
10-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah, i think i may give the lcas a miss for now, put the money towards motor mounts for a swap...
Good choice, I would wait for the exchange rate to improve if you are going for mounts from the USA.

VTECnique
10-04-2009, 02:21 PM
yeah, well its going to take a while to save anyway. looking at Avid racing mounts for a B18B swap...

Red_EG4
10-04-2009, 04:58 PM
good luck :thumbsup:

Huggyb
12-04-2009, 08:08 PM
if tein s.techs were put on to an ek1 hatch with stock shocks...would there be any issue with camber wear by dropping it or will just having good wheel alignment be sufficient to keep the tyre wear even

Red_EG4
12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't see there being excessive camber wear, if there is any at all.
I would think if you get a wheel alignment after the install, and it should be fine.

VTECnique
12-04-2009, 09:24 PM
the stechs drop it, but not low enough for there to be any camber issues. a wheel alignment is all thats needed!