PDA

View Full Version : Removing the whole front right brake setup

Gio
04-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey guys,

Yet another thing has broke on my car. For a while 2 wheel studs have been threaded on my front right wheel.

I decided to take a look and after i took them off there is no way that they are going to go back on safely (even though i put them on, they tightened u to a certain point then just kept going around and around).

They are really badly threaded and they need to be replaced :(

Since there is no way im going to drive my car to the mechanics to get them replaced i need to know how to take the whole assembly off so i can just take that into the mechanics instead of my whole piece of shit car.

I have had a look under there and there are like 3 arms that i need to unbolt to set it free, is this hard or dangerous?

Could someone please tell me what i need to undo?

I will rep anyone with good infomation.

Thanks guys,

Chris.

tiksie
04-04-2009, 05:43 PM
You can drive your car to the mechanic on 2 wheel nuts, nothing would happened.

I had to drive on 2 wheel nuts once because the dickheads at my mechanic put it on too tight.

Just drive in a slow and steady pace.

xmod
05-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Its not dangerous to take off just make sure you jack up the car and have it sitting on jack stands i had to take my whole assembly off once so that i could get a new lower ball joint installed saves a bit in labour

But anywhere here is a quick run down on how to take off the hub

-Make sure the car is jacked up and sitting on jack stands

-Take off the wheel

-Remove the Through bolt and nut for the shocker

-Take off your caliper there are 2 bolts on the back of the hub - if you find it hard to take it off after you have removed those 2 bolts you may want to remove the brake pads to allow for some extra room also when you remove the caliper use a piece of wire to hang is somewhere so that the brake line isn't on tension

-Remove the 2 small bolts that hold a brake line bracket to the hub

-Look at the lower ball joint nut , Tie end nut , and upper control arm nut and remove the pins in the castle nuts

-You may also want to remove your disc brake there are 2x Phillips head screws on it easiest way of removing them is with a impact screwdriver

- Remove the lower ball joint , tie end nut , and upper control arm nut

-Now you will have to use in most cases a ball joint splitter to split the joint front the lower control arm the lower ball joint (You can pick one of these up from repco for like <$30)

-Thats all there is to is pretty much when you put it all back together make sure you torque and put new pins in the nuts

na-118
05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
have to split the hubs if its the ek remove cvs

Gio
06-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys, still opting to drive it in slowwwwwwly

mocchi
06-04-2009, 10:13 AM
hey what was the problem gio?

your wheel studs or just dont have the nuts?

Gio
06-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey mocchi

2 wheel studs on the front right wheel are threaded as **** and the nuts do up to a point where they just keep going around and around.

The other 2 are fine and done up nice and tight.

Should i drive slowly to the mechs?

mocchi
06-04-2009, 10:24 AM
i dont think youd have a problem driving it, maybe around 40-60kms? dunno.
taking out wheel studs is kinda hard for fronts. but if you wanna do it ill post you the manual.

Gio
06-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Na man **** that dude lol.

I had a go, i needed an impact screw driver got the shits and gave up lol

Id prob break it anyway.

mocchi
06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
yea, to take out the rotors you really need the impact driver, ive done few screws w/out the hammer driver using a breaker bar, but rounded the rest. that hammer screw driver is awsome hehe.

also need ball joint separator.

just take it to mech, unless its gonna cost you like $300-400. then diy la

Gio
06-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Na to replace studs about 50 bucks i would assume...

na-118
06-04-2009, 10:17 PM
roughly 6-70 bucks takes one hour

mocchi
06-04-2009, 10:29 PM
oo... not really worth the trouble diy then, esp. if you got the money.. me poor so have to diy :(

Gio
07-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Lol im poor so i tried diy and i failed. Now i am going to pay and have to stress driving it anyway.

- dont do anything at all or u will fail.