PDA

View Full Version : How do you Handle a Car with an LSD gearbox?

pgclee
27-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Eh...this has been abit of my problem recently....

my car
i'm driving my car towards a very tight left hand turn..without thinking much, i raced in to the corner at 2nd gear around 80-90km/h, and my Tail did let go abit when i'm half way thru and while that's happening,my Tail did let go abit, but i counter steered it and get my ass on road again...(was using semi's)..STD Lsd

2nd car
Another Civic that also fitted with LSD was doing the same corner, but this time, 3rd gear around 100km/h (with suspension) and semi's as well...the LSD kicks in so nicely and pull my car all the way in without having the problem of my tail Kicking sideways and no counter steers needed...After market LSD with Gear Ratio

ok...the same corner..but different effect...izit the car of me?...the corner is around 80 degrees...i'm taking from out then in...and steady on accelerator...step more than half...

McChook
27-10-2004, 11:13 PM
My Prelude has a recently fitted Honda (viscous) LSD as well as a multitude of suspension modifications (Koni Yellows, 6degrees of castor, 24mm adjust.rear stab bar etc).

In example 1 - any suspension modifications??
It sounds to me like its just a less set up car... it lacks rear grip byt the soudns of that.
Also - higher speed but in higher gear = less accelleration, so even with the foot on the floor, it doesn;t jump up on the revs like it would at 80km/h in 2nd
STD LSDs need to be waremed up - it has silicon inside which until warm, doesn;t work.... but I don't think that had any bearing on example 1

My opinion - example one need suspension work and lacks rear grip - although the lack of rear grip can come from being too stiff as well
I know in my car, turn in with confidence, and it stays turned in, even on tighter corners, hit the power at the apex, and the back does roll away slightly, but nothing serious, but the front holds on strong and keeps the rear in check.

Cyrus
17-11-2004, 11:20 PM
With LSD, just keep your foot on the gas at times when without LSD, you would have not step so much.....LSD also lets you turn tighter too...

SPEEDCORE
18-11-2004, 08:39 AM
This is a good thread...... my concern with LSD and gear type diffs in FF cars, is that does it make the car more prone to Understeer?

My thoughts are YES but you adjust angle of turn in on corners to compensate and as a result are able to exit cornes carrying more speed and accelerating faster/easier out of them.

I hate the fact that I am going to having to go through the whole process of installing a diff in the G/Fs EK4, when the buggers should have come with one from the factory.

*waits paitently for ATB diff to come*

bennjamin
18-11-2004, 10:37 AM
kepe in mind diff types of LSD too such as 1 way , 1.5 and 2 way etc.....altho come to think of it MOST OEM LSD cars , have only one type of LSD correct ?!?

Also for the pros....any major difference in feel/driving style between a clutch style LSD , and an viscous style ? ( apart from needign rebuilding etc etc) ???

Cyrus
21-11-2004, 04:54 PM
yes...there's is a major difference a mechancial diff and a viscous style. I driven a silvia with a 2-way mech LSD and a stock one.....the mechanical just practically allow the tail to follow your car. As for sideways action, you can hold it a lot longer on a mechanical diff.

Civic Type R
22-11-2004, 12:43 PM
my type R box and tranny seems fine when ripping in the corners. If you back off the throttle you will always lose the tail to a certain degree. I can guarantee you will if its wet because your changing the cars weight distribution to favour the wheels that arent doing anything.

pgclee
22-11-2004, 08:29 PM
i think is very important to control and play with the accelerator while driving those LSD cars...aftermarket LSD and std LSD have totally diff abilities/feel while attacking a corner but it seems like an aftermarket LSD (clutch pack LSD) pulls your car INTO the corners more making it much easier or for some, harder to control....

though it is much more advantages to have an LSD than to not, but to really understand or optimise speed for corners really needs damn alot of time on testing and driving till one day, you can master the car itself...but one bad thing...LSD are expensive..haih...sad...hahaha..

J_Mech
22-11-2004, 09:11 PM
If you have a perfectly setup car, which has neutral cornering, and upgrade the standard open diff to anything that locks (either a bit or 100%) like an LSD, viscous, mechanical locking, lockers, etc, you will then have a car which will understeer compared to before. Basically you are losing the differential action and therefore cannot have a speed difference as effectively as an open diff.

This is purely from a handling/dynamics point of view, as with all things theres another 10 variables that come into it, like grip which is basically the reason to go for these types of diffs.

J_Mech