PDA

View Full Version : servicing CBR250RR

sifnt
06-04-2009, 03:42 PM
hey oz,

I'm use to doing all my maintaince on my car, but when it comes to bikes my completely clueless. Is it as easy as servicing a car? same principal? same tools?

Twincam16
06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
You have a stand for your cibby?

sifnt
06-04-2009, 04:48 PM
no i dont

corn_flakes
06-04-2009, 04:50 PM
do it yourself...so much easier than a car.

oil and filter will take u 20minutes and u don't really need a stand.

if you're going to change your chain and sprockets then u'll need a stand...and i hope u've got some good tools.

sifnt
06-04-2009, 05:02 PM
do it yourself...so much easier than a car.

oil and filter will take u 20minutes and u don't really need a stand.

if you're going to change your chain and sprockets then u'll need a stand...and i hope u've got some good tools.

how many litres am i after? what a common brand everyone uses? i use mobil 1 full syn for my car, is there a differences between car and bike oil?
and would i be going with NGK sparks?

lo0se3r
06-04-2009, 05:19 PM
sparks are a bitch all hidden inside engine.. DEEP

sifnt
06-04-2009, 05:28 PM
sparks are a bitch all hidden inside engine.. DEEP

thanks im gonna have to have a good look when i get home tonight. im guessing with the replacement of the oil is just a simple bolt on the bottle of the oil tank? hopefully it not too hard to find.

Twincam16
06-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Yep, some bikes need an engine drop for spark change... :) fun fun

sifnt
06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Yep, some bikes need an engine drop for spark change... :) fun fun

cbr250rr engine drop? seriously engine drop?

corn_flakes
07-04-2009, 09:07 PM
usually around 2-2.5L oil for a change, depending on the bike.

and no do not use car engine oil.

u will need proper motorcycle engine oil as most bikes have a wet clutch (the clutch uses the oil engine oil).

many ppl say using car motor oil can lead to the clutch slipping on the bike if the oil has friction modifiers (i'm no engineer so i'm not sure of the theory behind this, nor have i experienced this - but this is what i was told)

incoming
07-04-2009, 09:12 PM
same principals same tools
dont need a service stand - though its prob recommended

from memory:
have to undo the left side fairing.
theres a oil drain bolt on the bottom, loosen that.
the oil filter bolt is in close proximity.

sparks are behind the radiator, which u need to loosen and push forward to get to sparks.

all this shouldnt take u more then 2 hours

u can download the service manual from JDM CBR... i thought i had a soft copy on my pc but i cant find it..

sifnt
08-04-2009, 01:17 PM
same principals same tools
dont need a service stand - though its prob recommended

from memory:
have to undo the left side fairing.
theres a oil drain bolt on the bottom, loosen that.
the oil filter bolt is in close proximity.

sparks are behind the radiator, which u need to loosen and push forward to get to sparks.

all this shouldnt take u more then 2 hours

u can download the service manual from JDM CBR... i thought i had a soft copy on my pc but i cant find it..

thanks, for a first timer, im gonna give myself saturday day just in case

Twincam16
08-04-2009, 01:21 PM
cbr250rr engine drop? seriously engine drop?

not with cbr250's, rvf you need to partially drop motor...

CBR AFAIK is take off rhs fairing & unbolt radiator

sifnt
08-04-2009, 01:25 PM
il see if i can take some photo while im doing the service, just to help future people like myself.

mod35t
14-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Can anyone tell me which engine oil to use?
I've had mixed reviews on fully and semi synthetic.
Im looking at Motul 5100 10W50 or 20w50.

What are you guys using??

lookingforboost
14-05-2009, 09:20 AM
you wont need to drop the engine to get the plugs out just undo and move the radiator forward and put extension with sparkplug socket then put the ratchet on and you can get them out its a bit fidily but you can do it pretty easy.

fully synthetic and the lowest weight you can get will make the little sucker rev heaps faster!!!

using 5-40 fully synthetic

furiouswilly
17-05-2009, 10:56 PM
you wont need to drop the engine to get the plugs out just undo and move the radiator forward and put extension with sparkplug socket then put the ratchet on and you can get them out its a bit fidily but you can do it pretty easy.

fully synthetic and the lowest weight you can get will make the little sucker rev heaps faster!!!

using 5-40 fully synthetic

is that ok to use fully syntheic oil, coz the CBR2590 is older than 15 years already, i want to know too, as i want to service my CBR too

dark138
18-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Go Motul 5100 it was close to $50 for a 5L at MCA on Parramatta Road. $10 for a oil filter there as well.

2.2L for just oil change
2.4L for oil + filter change
2.7L if you opened up ur engine (which you won't be asking here)

You can use your car jack to jack up the front but i find it easier just leaving it as is and ly on ur back to undo the drain bolt and the oil filter. The jack gets in the way of the oil pan. The oil filter is a cartridge closer to the front tyre with a hex bolt. Drain bolt is a standard 12mm i think.

mod35t
19-05-2009, 04:21 PM
I've just done the oil change and opinions of most riders was Motul 5100 10w50. MCA have this for $55 for 4L bottle.
Oil filter was $9.95

Noticeable changes are that it revs much more freely to 18k RPM.

Noticed that I'm slipping into neutral from 1st to 2nd gear, but maybe its just me.

I also did radiator coolant flush...

All up an $80 service and looked like the bike had never had the oil filter changed for ages as it was on its last threads...

glad I did the service as previous owner said they just did one.