PDA

View Full Version : Do fog lights improve visibilty in the rain?

unity
07-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Just want to know if people find that fog lights give them better visibility during the rain.
I do lots of night driving and find that in moderate to heavy rain it can be very difficult to see the lines on the road. Do fog lights help visibility in these circumstances?

preludeIVgen
07-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Definitely more light and visibility. I just put yellow jdm fogs in my prelude, they make a big difference. (the yellow probably more suited to heavy fog)
Mine seem to cast light towards the sides, which is very handy for all conditions.

unity
07-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Definitely more light and visibility. I just put yellow jdm fogs in my prelude, they make a big difference. (the yellow probably more suited to heavy fog)
Mine seem to cast light towards the sides, which is very handy for all conditions.

Good if there is a significant improvement I'd like to get them for my Euro Accord

bennjamin
07-04-2009, 09:50 AM
wont increase your mid to long distance visibility - only that which is directly infront of you. Its more so for others to see YOU in heavy fog.

EK9
07-04-2009, 09:51 AM
well that's wot they're designed to do... but generally yes.

usually gives more visibility to the sides and closer to the ground/front of your car like preludeIVgen said... and the more yellow then white, the better and easier it is to see... that's why alot of foggies have yellow lenses.

geeang
07-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I HATE people who turn on their foglights in the rain and end up blinding everyone else.

They're FOG lights, designed to be used in FOGGY conditions.
It's actually illegal to have them switched on when it's not foggy.

RtN
07-04-2009, 04:16 PM
lol i do it.. but yeh mine shoots to the floor pretty much.

unity
07-04-2009, 07:54 PM

You wouldn't think so going by the number of people that drive with them on. Even see people driving around during the day time just with their fog lights on.

I would only use them during foggy conditions and during heavier rain.

Any one know how much it costs to get foglights installed on a 2007 Accord Euro?

VTECMACHINE
07-04-2009, 08:21 PM
I HATE people who turn on their foglights in the rain and end up blinding everyone else.

The worst is that annoying uber RED light at the rear of, generally Euro cars.

unity
07-04-2009, 08:43 PM
The worst is that annoying uber RED light at the rear of, generally Euro cars.

The single red light on the old Hyundias was really annoying

I heart the SSS
07-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Ditto.

Or even worse...

Commodore SS drivers with chev badges, 2 PM on parra road, sunny as ****, with foggies on.

beeza
07-04-2009, 09:16 PM
AND! Front lights that are pointed right at your revision mirror and side mirrors,blinding U! So annoying.

Or if someone is accidently on thier high beams too.I always put my hand out the window and do the talking hand and go 'hi beam - hi beam' but to this day it has never worked as so they understand and I haven't found a better way to show them! LOL

VTECMACHINE
07-04-2009, 11:18 PM
The single red light on the old Hyundias was really annoying

HAHAH... yeah those ones. The ones on Porshes are annoying too!

AznEmpress
08-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Is it still 2 points and $200+ fine if you have ur fog lights on in 'un-foggy' conditions?

munkaii
08-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Foggies are there so others can see you like everyone has said. Otherwise, I'll only use them when i want to get into a driveway or some tight area where i can use the light to tell me how far from the wall i am or if i'm taking the wrong line towards a driveway.

power_of_dreams
08-04-2009, 01:28 PM

honestly, who has fogs that blind people, unless they are installed wrong?

[[d a n n y]]
08-04-2009, 02:00 PM
foggies are allowed in adverse weather condition...
which includes rain and fog
i was told by a police officer

shadou
08-04-2009, 02:04 PM
you're allowed to turn them on in conditions that would other wise impair visibility, and fog lights do not blind people unless from a crescent peak coming towards you, or the dick has installed HID fog lights.

unity
09-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Any one had fog lights installed in their euro recently? I've rung 2 honds dealers and 1 quoted 495 and the other quoted 660. Massive difference.

shadou
09-04-2009, 12:52 PM
DIY aren't hard to install + you get instructions to follow.

unity
09-04-2009, 04:16 PM
DIY aren't hard to install + you get instructions to follow.

I wish I was that good at DIY. But in most cases I tend to stuff things up.

T-onedc2
09-04-2009, 07:53 PM
I had an officer try to tell me the parkers on a DC2 I was in were foggies, he walk away quite embarrassed.

unity
09-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I had an officer try to tell me the parkers on a DC2 I was in were foggies, he walk away quite embarrassed.

So what convinced him in the end?

T-onedc2
09-04-2009, 08:31 PM
So what convinced him in the end?
He asked another officer, and then never came back to us. Didn't say we could go, so we just drove off laughing.

unity
09-04-2009, 08:33 PM
He asked another officer, and then never came back to us. Didn't say we could go, so we just drove off laughing.

But aren't the fog lights always at a level below the main head lights?

T-onedc2
09-04-2009, 08:36 PM
But aren't the fog lights always at a level below the main head lights?
Haven't you seen where DC parkers are? They're low

unity
09-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Haven't you seen where DC parkers are? They're low

I probably have. Just probably haven't taken notice. So are the fog lights on your car lower than the parkers?

T-onedc2
09-04-2009, 09:22 PM
next to the indicator
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Tykie/Picture047.jpg

ek4-guy
09-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Ditto.

Or even worse...

Commodore SS drivers with chev badges, 2 PM on parra road, sunny as ****, with foggies on.

i'll see your commodore driver and raise you 1 flat brimmed cap wearing mofo with the sticker still attached

unity
09-04-2009, 11:55 PM
next to the indicator
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Tykie/Picture047.jpg

Cool. Thanks, I never noticed that before. That would have confused me too.

RtN
10-04-2009, 02:07 AM
hmm i think maybe sometimes... the foggies arent aimed properly so thats why it's annoying.. despite how low its mounted.. the angle matters...

INVSBL
10-04-2009, 02:10 AM
iv driven behind people in stupidly low cars, and they hav never complained bout my foggies hitting their mirrors. must be foggies which are aftermarket....

Killa From Manila
10-04-2009, 02:19 AM
ive found that my foggies really make the lines on the road easier to see when its raining.

unity
10-04-2009, 02:24 AM
Whilst white lines on a black road gives a good contrast in dry conditions it's not the same when its wet. I remember driving interstate somewhere where they have yellow lines on the road. I found this a much better contrast in the wet.