PDA

View Full Version : s2k or 350z? owners please

jaeyon
07-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

in the market for one of the above. both are great cars, look good and drive well. however im looking for answers from current/previous owners of s2ks.

which would you take if u were to choose again. what turns you off about your s2k? car is primarily a streeter. not intention to mod it too much.

thanks

John

chicken8
07-04-2009, 12:35 PM
this has been covered alot on OH already

but heres the main reasons why i wouldn't go to 350z.

gearbox on s2k feels so damn good. 350z is not great. i'd say a civics shifting feel is better than a Z

Z has alot of easily attained power. i prefer to work for more power. so s2k was more rewarding for me. as you had to launch and shift perfectly to get the most out of it. whereas the 350z does it really lazily

build quality is better in the S and im a small asian guy so the s2k felt more snug whereas the 350z felt wagon like

papa_
07-04-2009, 01:13 PM
i had this debate when i was looking at getting a car

my options were s2k, z4, 350z or boxter

i was looking at all aspects of a car
1. Looks
2. Power
3. Fuel Economy
4. Servicing costs

out of those 4 cars s2000 came out on top and havent regreated my decision since, i aboslutely loveeeee my car

Type S Tony
07-04-2009, 01:16 PM
350Z = Mad Drifter!

CONAN
07-04-2009, 01:34 PM
The only thing that turns me off from the s2k is the fact that it only has 2 seats.

chicken8
07-04-2009, 01:36 PM
so does the z though

hilighter
07-04-2009, 02:52 PM
i had the same problem.. but ended up getting the S

AzN_Allstar
07-04-2009, 03:39 PM
once u drive a Honda u never want to drive a diff car aganz . just got my s2k for a month and a bit now and loving it everday since ^^

jaeyon
07-04-2009, 04:41 PM
once u drive a Honda u never want to drive a diff car aganz . just got my s2k for a month and a bit now and loving it everday since ^^

what did you have before the s2k? im not much of a brand loyal customer. if the car is good i dont mind switching brands (ive owned ford, subaru and nissan)

ludecrs
07-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I didn't like the 'boat' like feel the 350Z gave me when driving it. The S2000 is very responsive in your hands, and much more fun / rewarding to drive. having said that, if you seek power, go the Z.

jaeyon
08-04-2009, 11:02 PM
found a car! stay tuned for an intro

Spoon-Accord
08-04-2009, 11:28 PM
i'd go for a 350z, handles great,also comes with great features :)

also not as common :P

rokkuchan
08-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Go drive both of them see which u like... Just before I bought my S2k, i had 4 cars in mind but in my heart always the S2k :)

01' Rx7 FD S8 TypeR, Rx8 04' with leather +bose, 350z and s2k.

Test droved all of them... I actually think the Rx7 was the winner of all. But after doing hell lot of research, it's too costly for maintenace for rotary engines + eats fuel like a V8.

And yeah Rx8 was ok, good shifting and nice interior (also 9000rpm revving) - but just dont feel good on the petrol + maintenance on rotary... 350z was a bit heavy so the power behind felt was quite good but when getting to corners, better turn DSC on...

S2K :) ofcourse drives like a go cart.

Also, u'd be lying to yourself if u didn't wanna mod it... especially if u choose AP1... but taht's just my personal opinion and mods for S2k ain't cheap. Nissans are mod whores.

F20C
09-04-2009, 05:13 AM
the maintance on an rx8 is less costly then an FD. The renesis engine was built to be less of a headache. i have a mate whos a rotarhead and his rx7 has lasted him ages and doesnt cost him much at all.. if you keep the FD stock and dont go for bridge / periphical porting then you wont be looking at much on maintaining it. and SPOON-ACCORD, Z's are more common in melbourne then S's are. I see many a night but not the S's. I may see one or two that night sometimes i dont see any out. anyway i have driven both and if your going to keep them both stock and wont be doing much modification work, stick with the s2000 i found it to be quicker and smoother then the Z. handling didnt feel as good as the s2000 (s2000 felt nailed to the ground unlike the Z it boated.

rokkuchan
09-04-2009, 12:58 PM
the maintance on an rx8 is less costly then an FD. The renesis engine was built to be less of a headache. i have a mate whos a rotarhead and his rx7 has lasted him ages and doesnt cost him much at all..

I agree, FD can really last long if u take good care of it, but most commonly Apex seals needs replacement around 60-80,000kms. But also heard many others didn't have to go through that until around 100k+. Not modifying an FD...mmm im not sure who wouldn't but there's issues with their cooling, that's the first mod of any FDs out there. They are still higher maintenance than any other cars. They eat so much oil + petrol(needs re-fill oil every 3000kms or so) but alot of people just change the oil...and oil not cheap, they cost 70-100buks/5litre depends on the type of oil.

But yeah FD is for the true rotary enthusiast. I'm not one... :( - Not mechanically...

So GO THE 'S'!

F20C
09-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah, well my mate services his car every 5000km, upgraded his cooler and thats it (for the cooling issues) hasnt touched anything else and its lasted him over 100,000km and runs smooth as and when he gives it too it theres nothing better i must say. Its definatly my next car. I must say i've always liked the rx7's and done abit of research on it till i found out i couldnt drive it on my p's lol. gay! At heart ill always be a rotarhead.

vyets
09-04-2009, 03:02 PM
My mate has a rx7 and he drives around on his P's :) and his exhaust backfires like a machine gun LOL. My other mate has afew problems here and there but nothing that will give you such a bad headach.

I would go with the 350. More room, looks better, better power delivery, and still heaps of fun and quick on the track! And it can run monster rims!!

F20C
09-04-2009, 03:10 PM
lol vyets legally he cant drive it on his p's. Before june 2007 it was power to weight laws. The FD is over the power to weight ratio and cant be driven. After June 2007 the new No turbo, No Supercharge, No high powered V6 and no V8's came in place. So technically speaking he cant drive it but what lazy cop wants to work out the power to weight ratio on a car.

vyets
09-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Cops will fk u up, but he got his p's 2 years ago and his not idiot driver. He was driving around in a NSX when he was 16 LOL

F20C
09-04-2009, 03:15 PM
lol im an idiot driver? thanks man :P yeah cops will **** me up but as i said if a cop wanted to **** him up that will be the first place to look. Power to weight = epic.

vyets
09-04-2009, 03:58 PM
LOl no i didnt say u were an idiot driver, i said his not one thats why he dosen't get pulled over often. S2K is still overpowered to weight for a P plater neway.

F20C
09-04-2009, 04:01 PM
yeah they are for people with their licence before june 2007 but their fine for me with the new laws of no turbo, etc the crap i said before lol. but yeah nah i havent been pulled over for quite awhile now thank god. Inface its been 3 months since i've been pulled over last.. (maybe 2 and abit) I used to get pulled over heaps 12 times in 3 hours is my record lol. and i did'nt do anything wrong.

rokkuchan
09-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Wow, u r on ur 'P's... Should be driving Hyundai's :P

I worked hard to save for my S2k, and earnt my rating 1 as experienced driver...

Not to offend anyone with P's but any one with P's are basically inexperienced drivers and i think they shouldn't be driving S2k's, 350z, and especially an FD or any powerful cars. You can say how good you are at driving and blah, you can't overcome the fact u only have 0-2 years of driving... The government is doing the right thing to protect u from killing yaself.

Sorry off topic...

F20C
09-04-2009, 04:52 PM
lol i've been driving since 13? so thats.. 6 years of driving but of course they would assume or anyone would assume i've been driving for 2 years as im on my p plates. BUT i can say, i've dont many stupid things in my car and many others and nothings happend as of yet (knocks on wood lol) and really you dont understand what skill some p platers have.. if you were in melbourne you should come to the illegal drags yeah i probably shouldnt be saying it in here but some of the things some p platers know how to do in a car is just plain skill and they wouldnt of been driving for much longer then i am.

and i had this argument with someone else on the forums, many people who have their licence for what 10 years just say wont have any experience but driving in a straight line. and its not hard to control a performance car at high speeds. Most accidents i've known of with friends of mine have been drifting etc. not speeding in a straight line in stupid spots.

rokkuchan
09-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Well i'm not disagreeing at all with you that some P plates probably have better driving skills than others and may be some waht talented in driving and could be the next F1 champion... Even F1 drivers make mistakes and crash. Peter Brock for e.g... he's very skilled by still couldn't handle his daytona around the bend...

I'm just saying, if you could say what you just said above with drag race, driving since 13, then you are not in the right mind to be driving any fast cars. It's the mentality, your growth and maturity that matters. That's what the Government is trying to do; prevent young ones to drive nice/fast cars, until they have reached their age maturity.

Statistics already speak for itself with majority of fatalities relates to P platers.

Just FYI, i am in no intent of flaming you... just telling some general facts. I respect you as P plater and driving the nice S2k u got.

F20C
09-04-2009, 05:21 PM
nah i understand that but, as i said in the last thread driving fast or doing anything stupid is done in certain spots so you dont kill yourself, most deaths are in silly spots for example lygon st. when i first lost my licence i was pulled over right infront of the pole where a car full of p platers died. and made me notice why and how etc, the way i see it is if im going to do anything idiotic it will be in an area with less of a chance of anything going wrong, sure something may go wrong like a peter brock incident but in an open area i doubt it. oh and i said i was driving since i was 13 not drag racing rofl :P

eg5civic
09-04-2009, 05:59 PM
and its not hard to control a performance car at high speeds. Most accidents i've known of with friends of mine have been drifting etc. not speeding in a straight line in stupid spots.

Launch a 600+hp GTR down a strip and try hold it straight :thumbsup:

F20C
09-04-2009, 06:14 PM
ok thats abit silly, lol i ment a 18x kw (at the fly) kind of power.

F20C
09-04-2009, 06:15 PM
you've gotta be a tool to drive that on road anyway no matter how experienced you are lol.

|N|
09-04-2009, 06:35 PM
nah i understand that but, as i said in the last thread driving fast or doing anything stupid is done in certain spots so you dont kill yourself, most deaths are in silly spots for example lygon st. when i first lost my licence i was pulled over right infront of the pole where a car full of p platers died. and made me notice why and how etc, the way i see it is if im going to do anything idiotic it will be in an area with less of a chance of anything going wrong, sure something may go wrong like a peter brock incident but in an open area i doubt it. oh and i said i was driving since i was 13 not drag racing rofl :P

how about not doing it at all.. or only do it on a REAL track

Petronas
12-04-2009, 11:50 PM

No matter how much you preach that you are responsible... We, as human beings (And also as car/driving enthusiast) will always, ALWAYS, at times push the envelope and do something stupid... Intentionally, unintentionally, it doesn't matter, the outcome will still be stupid...

98% safe... 2% wanting that rush..

trezmoc
25-04-2009, 04:10 PM
lol i've been driving since 13? so thats.. 6 years of driving but of course they would assume or anyone would assume i've been driving for 2 years as im on my p plates. BUT i can say, i've dont many stupid things in my car and many others and nothings happend as of yet (knocks on wood lol) and really you dont understand what skill some p platers have.. if you were in melbourne you should come to the illegal drags yeah i probably shouldnt be saying it in here but some of the things some p platers know how to do in a car is just plain skill and they wouldnt of been driving for much longer then i am.

and i had this argument with someone else on the forums, many people who have their licence for what 10 years just say wont have any experience but driving in a straight line. and its not hard to control a performance car at high speeds. Most accidents i've known of with friends of mine have been drifting etc. not speeding in a straight line in stupid spots.

who cares how well u can handle a car. i'd say its most likely any accident u will have is gonna be as a result of someone else ****ing up. thats where experience comes in handy. the ability to assess road conditions and predict other drivers actions are hugely important. try a road bike.

DreadAngel
26-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Hahahaha F20C, you're gold man...

Control a car at high speed? How high brother? lol =P

F20C
26-04-2009, 01:56 PM
well dread, around 270km/h =]

geeang
26-04-2009, 02:06 PM
well dread, around 270km/h =]

Mentalities like this that put P-platers to shame and give them a bad image.

F20C
26-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Retards like this cant tell the difference from sarcasm to seriousness.

I really do care what any of you think really i do. :thumbsup:

Mentalities like this that put P-platers to shame
and give them a bad image.

2002 TeGgY
26-04-2009, 02:32 PM
lol everyone is hatin on f20c cause he's a baller...drivin s2k on ur p's

F20C
26-04-2009, 03:17 PM
lol, they can hate, i dont really mind :)

aowwllan
26-04-2009, 03:54 PM
whatever floats ur boat, id buy a 350.

F20C
26-04-2009, 04:15 PM
lol aowwllan nice to see im in your sig :P

hey its not my fault after a dyno run some idiot told me he needed a new clutch everytime he did one lol.

hektik
26-04-2009, 05:45 PM
if you want to go something different then buy a v35 skyline. its got power (more torque then the z) also not very common atm. i have had many cars in the past and owning 3 atm. also my v has 4 seats. i have the premium model so leather dvd etc. do a search. also as member of skylinesaus forum theres heaps info there.

i can post a few pics of my v, s2000 and my mates 350z if you want.

the only downside atm is there isnt many mods or kits for the v unless you buy from the U.S. 350z have heaps kits. s2k is very light and power isnt as bad as the v or z. the vtec can stretch and as said in the first page of this thread the gear changes are much better.

i know this is my first post as ive just joined OH but this is coming from experience and im just trying to help out.

regards richard.

bbds
26-04-2009, 06:52 PM
get a nsx :thumbsup:

geeang
27-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Retards like this cant tell the difference from sarcasm to seriousness.

I really do care what any of you think really i do. :thumbsup:

Haha trying to be sarcastic and pretending you don't care, and then sending abusive PM's? GREAT WORK :D:thumbsup:

F20C
27-04-2009, 08:48 AM
abuseive pm's? are you ****ing normal? your telling me to go kill myself. i dont see how asking you to quote something is abuse. and why would i care what complete losers think? It's forums, i really DO care what any of you think. Anyway dont quit your daily keyboard warrior job :thumbsup:

lude, clear your inbox please :)

vyets
27-04-2009, 09:54 AM
s2000 can hit 270km/h? :O how long does it take to get to that speed? 10 minutes? lolll

I had an s2k when I was on my P's.. for a month :D

geeang
27-04-2009, 10:53 AM
abuseive pm's? are you ****ing normal? your telling me to go kill myself. i dont see how asking you to quote something is abuse. and why would i care what complete losers think? It's forums, i really DO care what any of you think. Anyway dont quit your daily keyboard warrior job :thumbsup:

lude, clear your inbox please :)

WOW, trying to prove that you really don't care what anyone on here thinks is REALLY coming along nicely for you isn't it? :wave:

F20C
27-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I was only stating they werent abuse pm's :thumbsup:

geeang
27-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I was only stating they werent abuse pm's :thumbsup:

OH RLY? So in your mind, swearing and calling someone a f*ggot in a PM isn't abusive? AWESOME :thumbsup:

burak213
27-04-2009, 12:30 PM
OP the S2K is a great drivers car, go test drive one and see why everyone loves it, it drives well, and has a great engine note.

The Z i cannot comment on as i never test drove one.

But i say go the S2k in terms of reliability and performance.

And F20C, max i seen an S2k do was 264kph and didnt take too long to get there.

F20C
27-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Yes, burak i've seen a s2k in the 260 range i was saying 270 to be a smartass but obviously GEENANG didnt understand that.

and no geenang i dont think its abuse if i was saying "**** you geenang go ****ing die rah rah rah" then that would be abuseive. I think telling someone to go die is alot more abusive then swearing at someone -.-

burak213
27-04-2009, 01:47 PM
that's okay man, sometimes it's hard to understand if someone is being sarcastic on the forum, always good to advised them.

e.g, /sarcasm

:P

F20C
27-04-2009, 01:51 PM
lol yes many things are out of context BUT he is just an idiot.

hold on i'll advise him, THAT my friend is abuse. I'm directing it at you :thumbsup:

What are you driving burak?

burak213
27-04-2009, 01:59 PM
05 type S

was going to get s2k but need back seats and boot. :P

F20C
27-04-2009, 02:22 PM
haha fair enough.. where abouts in aus?

burak213
27-04-2009, 02:51 PM
im in sydney man.

i use to go crusing with my mates yellow s2k, best times i swear. everyone stares at a yellow s2k.

geeang
27-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Either way, it's abuse, use a dictionary, learn something, then get over it.

F20C
27-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Take your own advise. Go look up sarcasm :thumbsup:

burak213
27-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Free entertainment at its best.

JAP-S2K
27-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Not to be a smart arse, but seriously 260+, lets be realistic. Yes i've seen them hit these speeds on You Tube, going down hills! In real life you'd be lucky to see 250 if that.

vyets
27-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Taking corners at 260km/h yo LOL.
Can you imagine how much the softtop will flap at that speed? rofll it will be slapping you in the face

ludecrs2
27-04-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm offline for a matter of days with login issues, and you guys manage to turn a thread into a really stupid shitfight.

God damn! have to fix this shit up when I return.

F20C
27-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Lol, very sorry lude =]

burak213
27-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Anyone know the weight diff between the 2 cars? off the top of their head?

kongfu
27-04-2009, 08:51 PM
s2k is lighter obviously

burak213
27-04-2009, 08:53 PM
ofcourse i know that.

F20C
27-04-2009, 08:58 PM
s2k is at 1100kg

JAP-S2K
27-04-2009, 09:03 PM
More like 1250kg

F20C
27-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Why was mine weighed at 1100kg when i was getting something done through vic roads lol? I forgot what it was, i had to do it when i bought the car..

JAP-S2K
27-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Unless your's has had massive carbon fibre diet, there 1250kg quoted from Honda. I'd kill to lose 150kg. P.T.W.

JAP-S2K
27-04-2009, 09:39 PM
The Z is around 1500kg and def needs a diet, just drive one. Killer brakes on the track option.

geeang
27-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Just a few comparisons between the two:
2007 Honda S2000 - 1296kg
2007 Nissan 350Z - 1464kg

2007 Honda S2000 - 177kw/220nm
2007 Nissan 350Z - 228kw/363nm

2007 Honda S2000 0-100km/h - <6.0 seconds
2007 Nissan 350Z 0-100km/h - <6.0 seconds

Mind you this is comparing America's 2007 S2000 which has the 2.2L F22C, so having the Aussie F20C places them even further apart.

As a daily the 350Z is alot more driveable with much more low-end torque, but the S2000 has far greater fuel efficiency. The 350Z feels quite large, quite heavy, but feels safe to be in. Whereas the S2000 is very nimble and planted, and gives you much more confidence behind the wheel. In the S2000 you just point it where you want it to go and it will zip you there with ease, while the 350Z might let go every now and then because of it's weight, requiring it's brute power to get you out of a sticky spot.

For aftermarket support they are both catered for generously in regards to performance/handling/exterior mods. At the end of the day, you really won't be able to choose for sure unless you take both for a drive. I've driven both and I think if I had to choose without test driving each, I'd always wonder 'what if' about the other car.

tec it
28-04-2009, 12:09 AM
i personally reckon you should go get yourself a datsun 1600, and put a f20c in it, then get fr17s and mate you will have the ultimate respect from me (probably not everyone else on here, but you'll get my support)

anyway good luck with what you get, i'd get the S2000 if anything, due the 350z being like a Sherman tank, and that damn engine is bloody horrible, i mean it's french, do you really want to drive a Jap car with a French engine, compared to that of the f20c screaming to 9000rpm and just begging for more.

Cheers

hektik
28-04-2009, 05:10 AM
like i said V35 would be the way to go. lol i just want the v community to grow theres not much of us :( but honestly test drive both the z n 2k and make up the mind for yourself its the best way this is because both cars are great. i havnt owned a z but my v is very very similar so in saying so its really up to you.

F20C
28-04-2009, 11:16 AM
You guys know he bought an s2 yeah? lol

hektik
28-04-2009, 03:22 PM
nice. wouldve sold him my s2k if i could only post it in the fs section. 3 months to go :p

F20C
28-04-2009, 05:32 PM
lol, i cant post in the for sale section either that rep thing is gay as balls. I cant become a member for some unknown reason.. lol and no one has gotten back to me on it so meh ebay ftw :P

burak213
28-04-2009, 05:36 PM
you prob have infractions.

or there is a prob with the system, doesnt change over to members

F20C
28-04-2009, 06:04 PM
yeah i had one infraction.. but i had more postive rep then negative.. I dont know its gay as.