PDA

View Full Version : euro Intake questions

qmjona
28-10-2004, 08:17 AM
I asked the questions below in this K&N Typhoon Review [DC5R] thread http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9491
but have seen no responses, has anyone here got some thoughts or answers?
Ta.

K&N Typhoon Review [DC5R] thread
Nice report, thanks for sharing.
How would this kit compare (performance wise) to buying just the filter pod and fitting it directly to the existing rubber intake pipe where it currently connects to the std air box. ? (remove the std air box if needed to make room).

Also, what are the two tubes that connect into the air intake? is one from the exhaust? and would there been any performance benifit or problems from leaving it off?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, just hoping to learn.

Actually, while I am asking intake questions, is this set up http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5950
actually filtering the air?

yfin
28-10-2004, 08:26 AM
I asked the questions below in this K&N Typhoon Review [DC5R] thread http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9491
but have seen no responses, has anyone here got some thoughts or answers?
Ta.

K&N Typhoon Review [DC5R] thread
Nice report, thanks for sharing.
How would this kit compare (performance wise) to buying just the filter pod and fitting it directly to the existing rubber intake pipe where it currently connects to the std air box. ? (remove the std air box if needed to make room).

Also, what are the two tubes that connect into the air intake? is one from the exhaust? and would there been any performance benifit or problems from leaving it off?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, just hoping to learn.

Actually, while I am asking intake questions, is this set up http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5950
actually filtering the air?

Why would you want to do this though? The K&N kit for the Euro is not that expensive - around $380 (if you happen to travel or purchase from the USA it is only $250AUD) and you will have a proper CAI made by a reputable company and tried and tested by experts. I don't think anyone can tell you the performance differences between your home made kit and the K&N typhoon. The same car would need to be put on the same dyno with both installs tested. My money is on the K&N though...

Personally, I would not try to build my own kit - the typhoon kit is good value. A lot of work goes into building a proper CAI by K&N -ie the right pipe diameter, where to bend the tubing, materials, etc, etc. THe money and time they spend on R&D outweighs the cost savings of building your own kit IMO. Wtih a $35-45k Euro - I wouldn't try to save a few pennies on building your own CAI. :D

Type R Positive
28-10-2004, 02:41 PM
K&N Typhoon kit won't suck hot air (except if you live where I do!) From reading your question, I take it that you just wanted a short ram style set up. The two tubes that connect to it are needed. one is a vacuum line i think and the other goes to the EGR vavle. What's this I hear you say? read this:
http://www.misterfixit.com/egrvalve.htm
Just get a cold air intake kit. It would save you alot of time, effort and if you stuff up your home jobbie, money. The kits come with everything anyway.

qmjona
28-10-2004, 04:26 PM
I wasn’t so much thinking of it as a bodgy DIY version, just a 'part installation' using the K&N filter on the standard intake pipe (including the vacuum line etc), ie. basically just replacing the original air box and filter with the K&N one.
Anyway, thanks for the comments.

qmjona
28-10-2004, 08:06 PM
OK, interesting link on the EGR, it says that the exhaust gas is feed back to the intake to limit combustion temp and it does this to reduce pollution (NOx), and it s at the expense of power and fuel economy - which is what I was getting at with the original question about would there be any performance benefits in leaving it off.

But then it also says that if the valve is stuck closed (which I figure would be the same as not connecting it or blocking it off) you can get knocking - which is the sort of thing I was wondering about when I asked about potential problems with leaving it off.

Hmm, getting a bit complicated for me, and probably illegal too - tampering with emission control system, but I still wonder about if it would be worth doing.
I guess if it was a way to get a significant performance gain people would be dong it? And to answer you would need to know the actual extent of any potential performance increase and the exact nature of any problems caused by increased combustion temps. :confused:

Type R Positive
28-10-2004, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't go touching the emissions stuff, it's there for a reason. Your car might go haywire (I wouldn't know, you could try if you like). What you are suggesting for removing the airbox and just putting an airfilter on the intake pipe would be a nice and cheap mod. I don't know cutting it up is a good idea if you have to put it back on for some reason.