PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Brakes...

dvscoupe
08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi all,

Just chasing your opinion on some brakes. The civic needs some major brake work and I'm thinking of doing a slight upgrade :P

Oh also I'll be going Slotted and not as per the pic below

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/wil-140-6310_w.jpg

Brand: Wilwood
Product Line: Wilwood Dynalite Big Brake Front Disc Brake Kits
Part Type: Disc Brake Kits
Part Number: WIL-140-6163
Position: Front
Disc Brake Kit Type: Manual
Front Rotor Included: Yes
Front Rotor Style: Slotted surface
Front Rotor Construction: Vented
Front Rotor Diameter: 12.19 in./309.6mm
Front Rotor Thickness: 0.81 in.
Rear Rotor Included: No
Front Caliper Included: Yes
Front Caliper Piston Quantity: Four
Front Caliper Material: Forged billet aluminum
Front Caliper Finish: Black anodized
Rear Caliper Included: No
Parking Brake Provision: No
Minimum Recommended Rim Diameter (in): 17 in.
Front Spindles Included: No
Master Cylinder Included: No
Brake Lines Included: No
Quantity: Sold as a kit.

Heavy-duty performance.
Get track-ready performance and high-tech style with Dynalite Big Brake front disc brake kits from Wilwood. These competition brake kits are loaded with cutting-edge technology and provide the perfect look when upgrading your wheels, tires, or suspension. Each kit is a complete bolt-on, with no need to modify the stock brake or suspension components.

Kits include:

* Calipers
* Hubs
* Rotors
* Brake pads
* Mounting brackets
* Hats
* Hardware
* Installation instructions

What do you think?? or is there something else out there that I can be looking at??

Any opinions or options would be appreciated.

STiR
08-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Cost is a factor. Front and rear upgrades are a matter. How much power and weight will you have? Do you want 4pots or need them? You may be able to get away with <17 inch kit (wheel size). Specify model, engine, intented purpose (circuit etc.)

dvscoupe
08-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Sorry more information would make it so much easier for you all

2002 EU3 Civic Hatch
D17A2 :(
BC BR Coilovers
18" wheels with Kuhmo KU31's

I'm only looking at the fronts at the moment because the front brakes on my car are in need of some repair. The rotors need to be replaced, pads need to be replaced and the calipers need to be rebuilt. Either way I'm up for some serious dollars and I beleive if I'm to go to that expense I should look at doing an upgrade.

I can get the Wilwood for under $1000 delivered to my door (just waiting for confirmation on freight)

The car will be getting set up for circuit racing

aaronng
08-04-2009, 09:21 AM
I wonder how did you manage to need to rebuild the calipers within 7 years.... Is it leaking at the caliper?

dvscoupe
08-04-2009, 09:27 AM
The calipers are sticking and not releasing the pads off the rotors, so it has baked the rotors really nicely and toasted the pads.

The calipers have been removed, cleaned up and greased up but they are still sticking. It goes back to the workshop today to try and resolve this issue.

All that aside what do you think of the above mention brake upgrade?

aaronng
08-04-2009, 09:29 AM
The calipers are sticking and not releasing the pads off the rotors, so it has baked the rotors really nicely and toasted the pads.

The calipers have been removed, cleaned up and greased up but they are still sticking. It goes back to the workshop today to try and resolve this issue.

All that aside what do you think of the above mention brake upgrade?

Make sure you can source brake pads for that kit. Running a 4-pot on big rotors on an EU is overkill. You'd probably end up engaging ABS when you have to brake hard.

STiR
08-04-2009, 10:09 AM
You'll find they're probably more progressie than stock and with an even clamping force on a larger rotor area locking won't be a big issue.

For that price I'd get the wilwoods. Get some braided lines if you don't already have any.

dvscoupe
08-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Yeah I'll be ordering a second set of pads and organising some braided lines if I get them.

I'm just waiting for the invoice to confirm the freight as I think they made a mistake with the original quote to me.

Limbo
08-04-2009, 01:25 PM
EU runs the same caliper set as ek4, em1 & 2000+ eks/ejs

replacing the calipers would be cheaper.

The EU pulls up well just with the stock brakes.

JDM EK9
13-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Try the prelude brakes it sits nicely on a 16" rim and the braking power is good too...Low cost Good upgrade And 282 Disc can cover almost ur 15"

20EG
15-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi There,

Don't want to hi-jack your thread but I was just wondering if you mind sharing where you are getting the Wilwoods from for that price?

I'm also looking at upgrading and trying to work out what options I have for and EG hatch.

Cheers

Limbo
15-04-2009, 01:21 PM
that's cos later model preludes also use the same caliper and rotor as ITR & CTR

Try the prelude brakes it sits nicely on a 16" rim and the braking power is good too...Low cost Good upgrade And 282 Disc can cover almost ur 15"

VT33CN
15-04-2009, 07:24 PM
I also want a brake upgrade for my civic eg h/b vti. I have 15'' buddy club p1 racing rims. What brake diameter would fit?(sorry i know this is wrong place for this thread but i cant find any help searching). And i dont want to change my rims.thanks

akusuma
16-04-2009, 01:08 PM
I also want a brake upgrade for my civic eg h/b vti. I have 15'' buddy club p1 racing rims. What brake diameter would fit?(sorry i know this is wrong place for this thread but i cant find any help searching). And i dont want to change my rims.thanks

282 max

Mugen_B16B
17-04-2009, 01:50 PM
i dunno y u wanna upgrade ur brakes when ur only running a stock motor with big 18inch wheels, all u need is to replace ur rotors and calipers since there stuffed, get some decent pads and away u go, ud only need to upgrade ur brakes if u ran a turbo or k20 and need the stopping power or else ull front end a pole, only other reason i can think of is if u want wilwoods, u wanna be a uber hardparker

EK1.6LCIV
17-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Im pretty sure the wilwood kit disables abs for it to be installed