PDA

View Full Version : fixing cv joints

DTJ
28-10-2004, 03:46 PM
hi guys

my eg civic is my making a clicking sound everytime i go left round a corner. i'm pretty sure its the cv joints but not sure.

how can you make sure if its the cv's or not?
how can you determine which side is f#@kd?
is it hard to DIY?
how much do cv's cost anyways?

need some help guys

wynode
28-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Have you checked your CV boots to make sure they are not cracked and there is dirt/crap in there?

wynode
28-10-2004, 04:05 PM
ANyway...depending on what the problem is, you can get reconditioned driveshafts from wreckers.

Taking the driveshafts out involves removing wheel, undo nut in centre of wheel hub, take out cotter pin, remove bolt, pop out ball joint.

Then you can take out your driveshafts from the transmission (in a nutshell) :)

LUD02C
28-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Just make sure you put the split pin back in the crown nut on the ball joint.
I can’t emphasise how important that is. lol

The mechanics didn’t do it on mine and it ended my Preludes life span!

ECU-MAN
29-10-2004, 12:33 AM
ANyway...depending on what the problem is, you can get reconditioned driveshafts from wreckers.

Taking the driveshafts out involves removing wheel, undo nut in centre of wheel hub, take out cotter pin, remove bolt, pop out ball joint.

Then you can take out your driveshafts from the transmission (in a nutshell) :)

also you have to undo the fork between the shocker and lower arm, top bolt 14mm bottom, is a nut and bolt, 17mm.

and LUD02C is dead right. make sure the casilated nut goes back on the ball joint and gets a NEW split pin through it. do not mix up bolts.

if you don't have much experience in this area, get change over shafts, as changing the joint itself may not be a good idea.

wynode
29-10-2004, 12:39 AM
Just make sure you don't yank the driveshaft out as you will damage your CV joints.

You will have to wedge something (eg scredriver/crow bar) between the tranny and the inner CV boot/where it meets the tranny

DTJ
29-10-2004, 09:05 AM
thanks for the responses guys, though i havent had a good chance to look at it yet. i'll have a look at it this saturday being my day off and all.
i'm just about to shop around for the parts, but before i do , do guys know where i can get the parts in sydney???

also, i noticed some kinda thick oil leaking onto the inside of my front left rim which is a bitch to get off. would this be related to my CV problem ?

thanks again guys fro the responses.

LUD02C
29-10-2004, 09:11 AM
also, i noticed some kinda thick oil leaking onto the inside of my front left rim which is a bitch to get off. would this be related to my CV problem ?

Your CV Boot is split and leaking oil.
After a while your CV joint basically ceases.
From the clicking sound etc i think you will need a new CV joint.
You should do both of them.

wynode
29-10-2004, 07:25 PM
As above.

The leaking oil on the inside of your rim is a tell tale sign of a split CV boot.

As for finding the driveshafts, check the stickies in the Wanted To Buy forum for a list of wreckers :)

ECU-MAN
29-10-2004, 11:08 PM
hahahah leaking oil, sorry guys, im in a silly mood tonight. CV joints dont have oil, there lubricated by hi temp grease.

Reagan
29-10-2004, 11:11 PM
do you drive like a maniac?

SiR JDM
29-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Like Wyonde said.

Its a bit of a headache, I took out my drive shaft and checked my boots and CVs and regreased it myself today.
Its not a painstakingly hard job, just need patience and a good set of ratches/sockets and some other DIY tooks (hammer, screw driver/s)

wynode
30-10-2004, 11:59 PM
hahahah leaking oil, sorry guys, im in a silly mood tonight. CV joints dont have oil, there lubricated by hi temp grease.
Oil/grease......same shit.......different smell :P hehe

Rufes1
31-10-2004, 10:10 PM
It really is piss easy job, Theres nothing you can really screw up as such. Just take your whole driveshaft out and exhange it at a wrecker or specialty mechan for a reconditioned
set.

Whilst your at it check the other side make sure that boot doesnt look like its going to split anytime soon.

ECU-MAN
31-10-2004, 10:26 PM
It really is piss easy job, Theres nothing you can really screw up as such. Just take your whole driveshaft out and exhange it at a wrecker or specialty mechan for a reconditioned
set.

Whilst your at it check the other side make sure that boot doesnt look like its going to split anytime soon.

changing the shaft is a peice of piss but changing the joint can be tricky sometimes.