PDA

View Full Version : ED Motor Swap

maximus
11-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey guys, brand new to this forum, so gday.

Last year I bought an 89 model ED civic from a mate fairly cheap. It'd done a few ks so I didn't expect it to last very long.
It's my daily run around and so far it's done a good job.
It'd blown a fair bit of blue smoke recently, indicating the rings were on the way out and the other day it overheated and did a headgasket. Motor's finally had it, gear box isn't far off.

My plan to get it back on the road is to try and aquire another suitable civic that doesn't have a RWC or reg as a donor car and swap motor/box combo.

Mates and I have done this on a few of our other runarounds and projects so we have a little experience. Although no experience with hondas.

I'm just looking for a little advise from you guys as to where to look for a suitable car, what motors are strait swaps and if anyone's got anything that could help for sale. I'm trying to do this as cheaply and quickly as possible.

Thanks for any help.

trism
11-04-2009, 04:42 PM
first thing is to search. its a topic that gets covered all the time

but the car is a carby. unless you drop in another carby motor youll need to do the efi conversion. means tank with efi pump, new wiring loom in the engine bay and dash cluster, ecu, etc etc.

if you dont wanna do this, just find another engine the same and drop it in

maximus
11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Cheers mate, I'd figured that. Too much time and effort with an efi conversion.

Does anyone know of an ed or equivilent civic going for cheap in any condition? Not much in the for sale section and ebay's relativly dry.

pat88c
11-04-2009, 07:34 PM
best go looking around wreckers and as you said get donor car with low kms swap engine and box over

or spend 1k and get ed9 crx d16a8 ride-off and take engine, box, wiring, fuel tank and few other things and have yourself

also what state are you from?

pat

Webby_roller
11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
hey man.. where abouts are you located??? Ive got my ED d15b vtec for sale atm.... pm me for details....

maximus
13-04-2009, 12:57 AM
From Vic. Just south of melbourne. Cheers for the advise boys, If anyone else knows of an ED wrecked or going cheap let us know.

dumped echo
13-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Check out the wreckers for convenience, and second to that try the auctions.