PDA

View Full Version : Civic Sport FD2 Sway Bar

vman
12-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know what size is OEM front / Rear Sway bars on the 2007 Civic sport FD2?

Also, do the AUDM Civic share same chassis/suspension/swaybar setup as the USDM Civic ?????

Thanks

Waternmo
12-04-2009, 10:02 PM
i've seen civic sport in taiwan installed with USDM Si front sway bar (28mm) and JDM type R rear sway bar (21mm) so i assume its the same with our AUDM civic sport, but make sure u get the sway bars with the matched brackets. and i think its a much cheaper option when upgrading swaybars.

gerard
13-04-2009, 08:08 PM
the Aus FD2 use a 24 hollow front and I think a weedy 11 in the rear
the USDM Si uses a solid 28 and 17 rear.

I know as I did this mod to my car.

you need to use different rubber bushes naturally and in the rear, new brackets and bolts which you have to order from the parts list.

Makes a world of difference to the handling of the car. Nice taut without being too stiff.

I would caution against fitting too large a rear bar as there have been many cases of brackets tearing off due to the high torsion loads applied there in.

vman
13-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info :D

That is the mod which I am planning to do on my car - it may be enough for me not to go to changing the whole shock/springs.

I am taking this approach because a rear sway bar did wonders to my EK4 VTiR. (but I did have it setup with full suspension setup beforehand)

Waternmo
14-04-2009, 01:00 AM
where can i get the Si front sway bar? if its 28mm than its the same as the cusco version!

ekdez
14-04-2009, 09:29 AM
mm i'd be keen on some sway bar's =]
more info gerard!

gerard
15-04-2009, 11:18 PM
This is the field report which I'm quoting from the Sg website which started a group buy.
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_civic_4dr_accessories/06_08_civic_exterior.htm

Quote["US SI's Front and Rear ARBs (By IPOD) Reply with quote
Hi, I'm new to this forum. My ride is a FD2 auto.

I recently installed the US SI's front and rear ARBs to my ride and I strongly recommend this mod to members of this forum. IMO, it is one of the most value-for-money mod to be made to the FD.

In total, the front and real bars plus the fittings (brackets, holders, bushings, new bolts & nuts) costed me USD 128.90 (about SGD 200), excluding freight charges. For the list of parts required, please see below.

The US Si's front ARB is 27mm (compared to 24mm for stock) but it is SOLID construction (stock is hollow). As for the rear ARB, it is 17mm compared to 10mm for stock.

After fitting the bars (I did it at Racetech), I immediately felt the diff in the steering - it was heavier and much more controlled. And when I went over bumps - the car felt much more composed and stable. In a way, it felt kind of like a continental car.

The next test I did was of course to go around some bents at higher speed, to test the roll of the car. All I can say is the diff is day and night. Before, the FD kind of roll too much (especially the rear) when going around bents. Not confident to go fast at all. After the mod, the roll is very much reduced and the car feels planted to the road. Around bents, it feels like it is on rails.

In terms of comfort, I could feel that the car is a little bumpier over potholes and undulating roads, but only slightly so and is still very comfortable. My wife did not even noticed the diff, but she did comment that I was going around bents and corners faster....

The other thing is the extra weight of the front ARB. It is heavy. I think it is about 2x the weight of the stock. Some may argue that this may damped pick-up speed and increase fuel comsumption. But I think such effects will be negligible compared to the improved handling it offers.

My next project is to either to install the US SI's shock absorber kit with springs or the front brake kit (300mm). I understand that the US SI's shocks and springs have increased damping rate of about 30-40% over normal civics. Hence, I would expect the FD's handling to further improve after installing them.

Will provide feedback when I'm done.

Bro Icebear - as promised, my FR.

Part No. Description Qty Req. Unit Price

51300-SVB-A02 SPRING, FR. STABILIZER 1 $67.47
51306-SVB-A01 BUSH, FR. STABILIZER HOLDER 2 $1.24
51308-SNA-A01 HOLDER, FR. STABILIZER 2 $1.79
52300-SVB-A01 SPRING, RR. STABILIZER 1 $34.55
52306-SVB-A01 BUSH, STABILIZER HOLDER 2 $1.19
52308-SVB-A01 HOLDER, STABILIZER BUSH 2 $1.84
52317-SVB-A01 BRACKET, R. RR. STABILIZER 1 $3.02
52318-SVB-A01 BRACKET, L. RR. STABILIZER 1 $3.02
90212-SA5-003 NUT, SELF-LOCK (10MM) 4 $0.29
93401-10020-08 BOLT-WASHER (10X20) 12 $0.63
$128.90"]

Waternmo
15-04-2009, 11:48 PM
nice, thanks heaps, so do we just order from the website? or where can we group buy?

black8thgen
18-04-2009, 06:15 PM
damnn thats very tempting lol.. so would you guys prefer the Si arm bars to the cusco ones?

Waternmo
18-04-2009, 06:59 PM
i would prefer the SI front sway bar as its much cheaper and only 1mm diff, but for the rear i wanna get sumthin bigger eg. cusco's 23mm, i've seen alot of ppl with this combination too!!!

black8thgen
18-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Ahh, but i thought someone said anything more than 16mm on the rear will destroy the endlinks?

Waternmo
18-04-2009, 07:49 PM
i heard bout that too! i wanna find out more bout it! coz alot of ppl have the cusco 23mm RSB and not havin any problems with the endlinks so far, so i'll probably wait awhile to see b4 ordering RSB...

black8thgen
18-04-2009, 08:05 PM
ahh i see. yeah good idea ay. so how much exactly is the front bar from the US Si?

Waternmo
19-04-2009, 02:33 AM
no idea! waitin for gerard's reply, coz i tried the website he gave us but its only for delivery in the US...

FallenAngel
20-04-2009, 01:02 PM
As bad as it may seem unless your gonna do any hard driving its not gonna ruin your endlinks mainly because you won't achieve the forces needed to break them. Yes don't get too thick of a RSB but its not the end of the world if you do.

Most designs now days take that into considerations that too thick of a sway bar will ruin the car...

JOhnnyFD
20-04-2009, 02:24 PM
ye... just got in my cusco rear sway bar 23mm and leo from jdmconcept goes it should fit in fine and same goes from yonas jdmyard

Waternmo
20-04-2009, 03:52 PM
yea, we kno that it can be installed without any problems but the thing is, the OEM endlink mite be too weak for the 23mm swaybar, sum ppl have also experienced broken endlinks due to the rear sway bar too thick...

gerard
21-04-2009, 08:58 PM
no idea! waitin for gerard's reply, coz i tried the website he gave us but its only for delivery in the US...

The group buy guys worked with a local parts supplier (in Singapore) to bring it in

"Shipping time is 3-5months, and price is S$250/set (cash and carry)
Installation is approximiately $40-$50 (depending on workshop) and will require about 1 hour (you're free to go wherver u want) "

I joined the GB and had it Fedex to Melb.

black8thgen
21-04-2009, 09:07 PM
250 a set, is that set the US Si set? what if we just want the US Si front strut?

Waternmo
23-04-2009, 01:12 AM
i've just sent them an email regarding the front Si swaybar shipped to brisbane... will let u guys know when they reply!

vman
11-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Just got my SI RSB fedex with the help of a friend from the US. (shipping wasnt cheap!)

Anyone knows who in Melbourne can do the install? I have all the bushes/bolts/brackets included in the kit.

MKI4EVA
12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
As bad as it may seem unless your gonna do any hard driving its not gonna ruin your endlinks mainly because you won't achieve the forces needed to break them. Yes don't get too thick of a RSB but its not the end of the world if you do.

Most designs now days take that into considerations that too thick of a sway bar will ruin the car...

it's better to be on the cautions side with this issue because you eventually get stress fractures through time.............not neccessarily one or two hard drives.

They appear as hair line cracks and it's well developed before you can spot anything...........besides from the driving feel.

vman
19-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey thanks for the info gerard - I installed the RSB with all the bushes/L links etc. fits perfect. It has been run in and the car feels great! I dont think I need FSB or suspension... the ride feel is perfect for what I am after ... tort.

Thanks again!

SHU-ES1
20-05-2009, 07:17 PM
The standard end links should be able to hold having a larger sway bar, unless you plan to race/track your car or take corners like a hoon. It should be able to withstand the occasional quick bend or roundabout. I've just put the DC5R rear sway bar with stock endlinks and its done me alright so far. *touch wood*

vman
20-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Sorry what did you install the DC5R sway bar on to FD2? Does it fit?

If so, how many how big is the bar?

SHU-ES1
20-05-2009, 10:12 PM
nono.. i installed onto my es civic, perfect fit. don't think it would fit onto fd civic. i was just saying its ok to keep your standard endlinks if you upgrade swaybar size unless you plan on racing the car. sorry for the confusion.

gerard
23-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey thanks for the info gerard - I installed the RSB with all the bushes/L links etc. fits perfect. It has been run in and the car feels great! I dont think I need FSB or suspension... the ride feel is perfect for what I am after ... tort.

Thanks again!

All good ;)
Wait a couple months then you will be wondering if only.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................

Waternmo
24-05-2009, 01:41 AM
anybody heard bout BLOX? one of the ozhonda traders can bring the F n R swaybars in for our FD, but fitment is still to be confirmed! but the price is very attractive!!!

FallenAngel
24-05-2009, 01:47 AM
anybody heard bout BLOX? one of the ozhonda traders can bring the F n R swaybars in for our FD, but fitment is still to be confirmed! but the price is very attractive!!!

o really...? i might have a look as i'm looking for a RSB