PDA

View Full Version : whats the procedure on coding a blank key?

acey
14-04-2009, 01:08 AM
hi, my mates just lost his key for fd1 civic and he didnt get given a spare when he purchased the car.

first question. is it okay to buy the type r keys for the fd2 and cut and code?

second question. are there any other places that can code a genuine key with transmitter besides a honda dealership with the consult machine or wateva its called for honda?

kthnx :wave:

vinnY
14-04-2009, 10:44 AM
probably have to hit up a locksmith to do it

paps02
14-04-2009, 12:51 PM
yep take it to any key cutting place. you give them both the blank and hte original and they do it for you. prob costs 100bucks

less if u supply a key im guessing

intruder
14-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Having just had to get a new key from my CRV I can tell you Honda will not do the cutting, they'll supply the blank but you'll need to get a locksmith to do it. I found a mobile one my local Honda dealer recommended was very good and was cheaper than most other locksmiths.

$110 to get the key cut and coded (on top of the $66 for the blank from Honda).

He then kindly told me he could have supplied a blank (not a Honda one), cut and coded it for $100 all up.

So ring around and see what you can get.

Oh, if you go to a locksmith be prepared to leave your car with them if they can't do it on the spot. They'll need to the car to hook into the immobilisor to program the key (or something like that - don't know the exact technicalities of it).

sasp
15-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Yeah, coded keys costs more than usual, but there is a way around it... cut the top off your chipped key and stick it near your ignition.

then u can use the $2key cuts FTW