PDA

View Full Version : 4 throttle injection !!! woot.

bennjamin
12-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Peeps...an ALLMTR question here -

Relative to my next car...(not necessarily a vtec motor:P) i am looking a quad throttle body injection ( plus cams and all the usual) BUT i am after a cheaper alternative for the ITB's -

I have looked at NEW ( custom made) - which seems far too expensive ( $1500 ++) so maybe can i use another 4 throttle setup and just port it to match my engines inlets ? Plus a custom mount etc? I have looked at a 4AGE from SSS , various big bore motorbike ones etc - but am alittle unsure which one would yield the best results.

Any guidence?

Cheers , Ben 8)

genesis
12-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I will be doing the same soon. I have a set of 20v throttle bodies waiting :D

EG5
15-11-2003, 09:54 PM
ask z10 for a 4age 20v Quads from JDM ae101.
45mm diameter is enough for 1.6 twin cam ;)

get custom adapter , stand alone ecu , cams , adj cam gear and that will run ok ..

Setanta
15-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Does the word "overkill" mean anything? :roll:

ALLMTR used an ITR inlet. I figure that's good for 200+ bhp (ITR rated).

Just how much power are you planning on making anyway?

bennjamin
16-11-2003, 12:44 AM
hmm...

aiming for 3 million hp at the left wheel :p

TBH im after something dirrefernt apart from "just another hybrid"...after studying alittle, and seeing in action in Japan - it seems like an interesting route to take. Besides , how much more power CAN u squeeze out of a D16a8 ? 8)

Ben

ALLMTR
20-11-2003, 12:35 PM
It's more to do with what you want to use the car for...

ITB's give unrivaled transiant response. Good for drift or rally. For drag or street I'd recommend staying ITR intake manifold (which I just happen to have for sale :)

You'd make similar power with a single plenum manifold. I could make you an intake manifold, if your interested.....

bennjamin
21-11-2003, 11:47 AM
It's more to do with what you want to use the car for...

ITB's give unrivaled transiant response. Good for drift or rally. For drag or street I'd recommend staying ITR intake manifold (which I just happen to have for sale :)

You'd make similar power with a single plenum manifold. I could make you an intake manifold, if your interested.....

HEhehe , Chuck you a legend bro ;)

But really mate , the car will be kinda of a ZC/d16 old school build up with bolt on parts - i dont really want to go the usual route of hybrid , As i kinda keen of old school power - IE dual DOCE weber carbies etc ! Anyway , Im still researching , IF i do go the b series route Im quite sure ill come to u for help.

Best of luck with the new K20 (if that is wat u are using ;))

Ben

Setanta
21-11-2003, 03:32 PM
ZCs never ran dual DCOEs, only the SOHC EW engines, courtesy of Jackson Racing or AT Engineering in the US.

Stick with the existing setup and then find out what Ted Wrigg ran on his '88 ED Civic - it was partially a Mugen engine built by Gary Cook that was putting out 200bhp until Ted cooked it on the track.

Ted owns Concorde Wrecking - or he did in the '90s

bennjamin
21-11-2003, 06:06 PM
ZCs never ran dual DCOEs, only the SOHC EW engines, courtesy of Jackson Racing or AT Engineering in the US.

Stick with the existing setup and then find out what Ted Wrigg ran on his '88 ED Civic - it was partially a Mugen engine built by Gary Cook that was putting out 200bhp until Ted cooked it on the track.

Ted owns Concorde Wrecking - or he did in the '90s

And that is true too - I am researching using a 88 teg DCOE twin setup - plus alittle bit of custom this and that , and a teg distributor as well - internals etc shouldnt so much be a worry , but the boys on www.thezcr.com are helping greatly.

Ive seen a couple of ZC's in indo and japan running custom twin webers ( or equilivent) and did run some very good numbers around the track and down the 1/4 - MY only hassle is finding a man in Sydney to tune it so to speak - but im sure any of the performance carby guys will do a good job. Ill keep yall up 2 date ! Cheers, Ben

Weq
21-11-2003, 09:05 PM
http://www.tweakit.net/ebay/4cyl_quad_throttles_no_manifold.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2444218495&category=32 624

bennjamin
21-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the find Weq - very nice looking !

But for $2,000 ( NOT including anything extra needed - ALOT!) it would want to be !

I am investigating essentially converting a EFI engine ( D16a8) into Carby injection - thus disabling the need for almost any electrical hardware , ECU , sensors etc. Including the dual DCOE's , plus bits and pieces , I am only looking at towards $1000. Compared to a similar EFI ITB effort at more than $2000+

Ofcourse, ontop is good cams , cam gears etc...

Ben

wynode
22-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Why would you want to convert from EFI to Carby Ben? IMHO I think you will be taking a step backwards by doing that.

IF you are serious about this and don't want to pay the huge $$ for ITB, maybe you should have Chuck make you up a custom intake plenum and runners.

Setanta
22-11-2003, 07:01 AM
Just one thing to remember Ben - don't get caught by the cops with a car that has retrofitted carbies - you are breaking the ADRs the car was built to and the EPA boys will then defect it regardless of how well it runs. If it's a track car only then there's no worries :)

Not talking you out of it, but I'd hate to see all your hard work done away by a failure to meet ADRs

Weq
22-11-2003, 04:28 PM
Never herad of efi->carby conersions. SOunds interesting :)
Is the gains from muiltple tb's that more then say other more traditional mods?

bennjamin
22-11-2003, 08:21 PM
All good responses ;) - but it is a idea bring toyed with for quite a while now - not being up for a total hybrid conversion - but more for bolt on bits. It has shown repeatedly about the ability of such a DCOE setup on a ZC spec engine , for more than likely a purpose built drag/track car :)

Win , it wouldnt be a step backwards....it would be a step sideways on teh weekend :)

z10
23-11-2003, 12:12 AM
in fact alot of track racers/tuning houses in jap converted EFI to carby due to the throttle respone and cheaper/wider tuning advantage.

and i think spoon dc2 race car uses keihi FCR flat side carby http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Tech%20Photos/FCR_Carbutetors.jpg[/url]

Setanta
23-11-2003, 07:13 AM
Having run 35mm Dell orto DHLBs on a EB3/EN1 hybrid with an AT engineering manifold and DCOEs on a Jackson manifold on a EW2 in SBCs (1st gen Civics), all I can say is the Aussie summers aint kind to throttle response with performance carb motors. I'm now going to butt out as you are set on them Ben :)

Check the ADRs though :)

fueltank
24-11-2003, 09:29 AM
have you talked to Injection Perfection Ben?
Give them a call maybe?

bennjamin
25-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Having run 35mm Dell orto DHLBs on a EB3/EN1 hybrid with an AT engineering manifold and DCOEs on a Jackson manifold on a EW2 in SBCs (1st gen Civics), all I can say is the Aussie summers aint kind to throttle response with performance carb motors. I'm now going to butt out as you are set on them Ben :)

Check the ADRs though :)

HEhehe - a big thumbs up to your call Setanta !

I have been thoroughly researching via zcr.com and www.theoldone.com , As this setup i am contemplating is entirely possible , with a buddy in the states running a 13.9 first run with entire stock ZC with only converted to carby , at lower elevation he calculated a high 12 ;)
BUT...Aussie summers , let alone aussie ADR's , police ETC will not take kindly to such a sidestpe in injection - Ive spoken to the RTA and short of clever engineering , this ZC setup that I wouldnt mind seems further and further a "no-go".

Basically , IF i can do such a thing with no troubles i will :) , but possibly it will only be a track or drag strip racer .... :?: