PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Ek or EG 5stud conversion without R

jesmine0
14-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Hi guys, recently I did my 5 stud conversion for my EK at a relatively low budget. I spend $700 for parts, $400 for 5stud rim, $250 for tyres and $100 for brake fluid and get it alignment. Overall, it add up to be ~$1500 which is the price of most traders in the forum sell the 5 stud conversion out of EK9 or DC2R.

Thus, i would like to share this with all of you guys who want a 5 STUD :p

First of all, for front brake, many of you guys might know you can use CRV knuckle. For those doesn't know, the old CRV with b20 have identical knuckle to the DC2R. So you can use complete knuckle, hub, rotor, caliper and drive shaft for the swap. Basically, it just complete front brake system. you dun need the control arm and brake line.

- So, what you need to do is unbolt the suspension bolt, remove the 3 ball bearing or ball joint bolt, remove the front driveshaft with 32mm bolt
- When remove the ball bearing, use proper ball joint remover which can get from supercheap, autoone, conventry or repco. they cost like 20++
-you dun had to unbolt steering bolt .but make sure remove the ball joint
-then just bolt on the complete knuckle to the car and reverse what you done.
-if possible, get brand new brake pads and get rotor machine.

The CRV is using 36mm driveshaft. So, you can just swap over the outer joint with the stock driveshaft. just buy new boot tie and grease for $5 on each side. I use the complete dc5R shaft for my setup which is 36mm as well.

For rear 5 stud conversion, I order the new EK9 or DC2R rear hub with bearing that without ABS from Japan (My car doesn't had ABS). You can order them through Honda Australia but they charge 700 for it. I paid 300 for mine through Japan at strong currency different. You might get them for 100 if currency is low enough :P.

Then, I had pair of spare rear DC5R 5 stud caliper and rotor. So I reuse them for the swap. Amaze that the DC5R rotor, caliper and bracket just sit perfect like stock in EK. There are no gap or anything that occur to the system.

However, you had to swap over the left and right caliper as the handbrake bolt is touching the system. Also, you need to bleed the system first before you bolt the caliper to the bracket. This is because when you swap the left caliper to right, the bleeding nipple is actually facing downward. When you bleed, brake fluid is coming out instead of air.

I am not sure if all DC5 have ABS. If they dun had, you might be able to use them as well. When i took out the hub and bearing from dc5r, it actually had same size of shaft of the EK. but, it is slighter longer compare to EK due to the ABS system. If ur EG or EK had ABS, you might able to use them without purchasing new ek9 or dc2r hub bearing.

Also, the handbrake cable, you can use the stock EK handbrake cable by just adjust the bolt to the lowest point from the car. I had the DC5R handbrake cable as well but it seems useless for the swap.

I am really happy with the braking system now as the car stop far more easy and faster compare to before.

Hope this help to those interest in 5 stud conversion.

For more photo, refer to the following link. I am too lazy to use the imageshack.us. :p
http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=17752#post17752

Red_EG4
14-04-2009, 03:16 PM
As always pictures would be helpful.
Can you share anymore information about where you bought all your parts?
How long ago did you do the conversion?

jesmine0
14-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Ozhonda doesn't allow me to upload photo. kinda funny.

i just did the conversion last month only. got the CRV front knuckle from honbits for 400 and hub for 300 from Japan honda.

you can get rear dc5r/dc2r caliper and rotor cheap. I think some others like prelude or accord will have 260mm rear disk.

tRipitaka
14-04-2009, 03:44 PM
use imageshack.us and use the [img] tags

90LAN
14-04-2009, 04:20 PM
crv has diff offset from the itr
smaller arms too and have a diff bend
good write up tho
5 stud is becoming cheaper too these days

jesmine0
14-04-2009, 06:20 PM
crv has diff offset from the itr
smaller arms too and have a diff bend
good write up tho
5 stud is becoming cheaper too these days

yeah, Crv had different offset and the knuckle is much thicker. Good for power handling :p.

I use stock ek arm. so it doesn't matter.

besides, the 5 stud is getting more exp cos less and less ek9 & dc2r around and the yen is going strong. thats y i come out with this alternative way :p

5 stud used to cost around 1000 but now is always 1400 from erywhere

90LAN
14-04-2009, 07:10 PM
yeah, Crv had different offset and the knuckle is much thicker. Good for power handling :p.

I use stock ek arm. so it doesn't matter.

besides, the 5 stud is getting more exp cos less and less ek9 & dc2r around and the yen is going strong. thats y i come out with this alternative way :p

5 stud used to cost around 1000 but now is always 1400 from erywhere

haha u looking in the wrong places
so the ek arm bolts straight up to the crv hub no mods?

LowEk
14-04-2009, 07:29 PM
so all you need for this swap from a CRV is front hubs, knuckles, caliper and drive shafts.
and for the rear is hubs, knuckle and caliper??

is that correct??

jesmine0
15-04-2009, 12:15 AM
haha u looking in the wrong places
so the ek arm bolts straight up to the crv hub no mods?

May be I try the wrong place. Hehe.
look at this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-CIVIC-EK9-5-Stud-Conversion-COMPLETE-KIT_W0QQitemZ380117389166QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car _Parts_Accessories?hash=item380117389166&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318
yeah, the EK arm bolt directly without a mod. it just a ball joint bolt sitting together.

so all you need for this swap from a CRV is front hubs, knuckles, caliper and drive shafts.
and for the rear is hubs, knuckle and caliper??

is that correct??

for the front, yes, just knuckles, hub, rotor, caliper, driveshafts.

for the rear, just hub, caliper and rotor.

you dun need the trailing arm if you had the rear disk brake already. But if you had drum for the rear, you might need the trailing arm.

na-118
18-05-2009, 11:19 PM
also use front calipers from crv?

jesmine0
24-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeap, caliper as well. As mentioned from the thread already, using erything from the knuckles to the wheels nuts, using the CRV.

Bludger
26-05-2009, 10:52 AM
interesting.

Mr_will
26-05-2009, 11:12 AM
you spent $250 on four tyres?

if so youve pretty much wasted all the effort you went to, because you have shit rubber...

Bludger
26-05-2009, 11:19 AM
you spent $250 on four tyres?

if so youve pretty much wasted all the effort you went to, because you have shit rubber...have you bought that new car yet?

jesmine0
28-05-2009, 02:00 AM
$250 doesn't mean shit tyres. y eryone judge the quality with high $$$??

I am using sp3000 front and potenza GIII rear. had set of yokohama as well. I never feel they are any bad. I tried pirelli p5000 and nankang ultra racing(pretty shit) but i feel they overcome this two. Might order some KU36 when they wear out.

My mate got 17" re55s for 100 each. I am selling 17" AD07 for 100 each as well. So can u judge that they are shit?

lil_foy
29-05-2009, 11:15 PM
$250 doesn't mean shit tyres. y eryone judge the quality with high $$$??

I am using sp3000 front and potenza GIII rear. had set of yokohama as well. I never feel they are any bad. I tried pirelli p5000 and nankang ultra racing(pretty shit) but i feel they overcome this two. Might order some KU36 when they wear out.

My mate got 17" re55s for 100 each. I am selling 17" AD07 for 100 each as well. So can u judge that they are shit?

Ill take 8 thanks.
Pm me sizes.

EGJOE
30-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Ill take 8 thanks.
Pm me sizes.

X2 for ADO7 .................

jesmine0
31-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Y not? it u were in perth, just let me knw. i had 3x 225x45x17

SHOGUNOVDDRK
31-01-2011, 11:05 AM