PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting height on coilovers

02ZZI
15-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey,

I have recently put in buddyclub n+ coilovers into my civic. I am having trouble loosening the perches so i am able to adjust the height of my car. I was able to loosen the perches on the rear coilover's on the back of the car as they weren't as tight. However the front ones are almost impossible to turn. Does anyone have any tip's/secrets to loosening such parts.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2649/412341243.jpg
If anyone can help thank you,

James

mugenpower168
15-04-2009, 06:08 PM
try spraying some wd40... i had the same problem with one of mine also at the front, it was a bitch to turn

Red_EG4
15-04-2009, 06:21 PM
find a piece of pipe that fits over the c spanner handle for extra leverage.

RtN
15-04-2009, 07:03 PM
you my friend are doing the wrong thing to adjust coilover height. you have to adjust from the very bottom. I have these coilovers. those two are for spring preload and should be left alone if done correctly the first time.

RtN
15-04-2009, 07:07 PM
oh I might be dropping my car again ._. so if I do i'll try n remember to take pics for ya. to adjust height you have to slightly loosen top bolt (not too sure if you have to but its on top of the top hat) but these are the steps afterwards that I used:

Undo the black perch get the C-spanner and then use it as leverage on one of the top two perches to turn the whole coilover to lower it so that it screws into that bottom part where the N+ logo is. then when ur satisfied lock the black perch again.

mrwillz
15-04-2009, 07:09 PM
^ if you can get pics on how to do it exactly on the n+ woiuld be great

Bludger
15-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey,

I have recently put in buddyclub n+ coilovers into my civic. I am having trouble loosening the perches so i am able to adjust the height of my car. I was able to loosen the perches on the rear coilover's on the back of the car as they weren't as tight. However the front ones are almost impossible to turn. Does anyone have any tip's/secrets to loosening such parts.

If anyone can help thank you,

Jamesas said, undo the bottom perch.

no one can help you grow muscles.

02ZZI
15-04-2009, 09:03 PM
oh I might be dropping my car again ._. so if I do i'll try n remember to take pics for ya. to adjust height you have to slightly loosen top bolt (not too sure if you have to but its on top of the top hat) but these are the steps afterwards that I used:

Undo the black perch get the C-spanner and then use it as leverage on one of the top two perches to turn the whole coilover to lower it so that it screws into that bottom part where the N+ logo is. then when ur satisfied lock the black perch again.

do you mean this bolt on the top?
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1845/wahhhhhhhhhh.jpg
excuse teh dirtyness.

Ok now i am more confused. I can definately see how moving the 2 red perches only icnreases and decrease's the spring rate. However i dont understand how moving the black perch is going to effect height. I can only see if moving the top bolt some how effects the height.

Starting to get worried lagi

Red_EG4
15-04-2009, 09:23 PM
You can use the top two perches when you want to go even lower after you reach the limit of the bottom mount.

CB7_OWNER
15-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Ok picture a bolt, and a hole.. you screw the bolt into the hole.. but there is nothing to keep the bolt from unscrewing further in or out of the hole.. this is where a nut + washer comes into play soo that it will lock the bolt in position.. same concept as the black perch...

the black perch is merely there to "lock" the position of the height changed.....theorectically you could leave the black perch untightened ,, but you run the risk of the coil over adjusting height on its own, cause its not secured down by the black perch.. yeh?

correct me if im wrong.. i just typed that up from pure logic

02ZZI
15-04-2009, 09:29 PM
If someone could give me just a quick run down from start to finish of how they would adjust the height that would be great.

I have tried adjusting the 2 red perches lower and this has indeed lowered the vehicle but has obviously made it much softer as the spring rate has decreased and this isnt right is it?

RtN
15-04-2009, 09:35 PM
im not sure abt cb7s first line what is saying but i think its right but nothing to do with this... why i told u to loosen the bolt (only slightly) is so that the coilover body can move. but cb7 u are correct for sure on the 2nd one. the black perch is only for locking it in position... so o2zzi what you do is just undo the black perch THEN you get the c spanner and use it to rotate the WHOLE coilover (except the very bottom where n+ is located). So you should see the GOLDEN thread screw into the bottom part so the coilover itself is shorter.

RtN
15-04-2009, 09:42 PM
the idea of lowering the coilvoer without touching the spring preload is at 1:55 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL3VxYc87VE&feature=related

you see how it screws into the bottom to make the coilover body shorter?

so yeh ... what i explained to you is how to do this .. except its while its on the car.

hmm since you increased the preloading i suggest you fix it so that the shock gets a longer stroke and make your ride more comfortable and also the shock will last longer. or if the spring isnt preloaded it could pop all over the place, make noise etc.

02ZZI
15-04-2009, 09:42 PM
um o22zi lol not only that.. but the spring is not secured and will probably pop out at some stage.

im not sure abt cb7s first line what is saying but i think its right but nothing to do with this... why i told u to loosen the bolt (only slightly) is so that the coilover body can move. but cb7 u are correct for sure on the 2nd one. the black perch is only for locking it in position... so o2zzi what you do is just undo the black perch THEN you get the c spanner and use it to rotate the WHOLE coilover (except the very bottom where n+ is located). So you should see the GOLDEN thread screw into the bottom part so the coilover itself is shorter.

You are my saviour, that makes sense im gonna try it first thing tomorrow.
Thanks a bunch. I might even do a write up if i manage to do it properly...

RtN
15-04-2009, 09:49 PM
if you still dont get it.. wait for me to do mine. hahaha hey!!! i was gonna do a write up :P

oh and to lower the car.. you compressed the springs.. what i said in your quote was for when the spring isnt preloaded... if you compressed it.. the shock wont last as long and also more rough ride.

RtN
15-04-2009, 09:53 PM
god i edit my posts a lot.

02ZZI
15-04-2009, 09:56 PM
i'll leave the write up for you then... save's me typing

Red_EG4
15-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Of course if circumstances permit you could take the coilover out of the car and twist the bottom mount up the thread. Then measure your dimensions for uniformity.

blazin206
15-04-2009, 10:13 PM
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=600868

Different car same deal.
Hope it helps.

RtN
15-04-2009, 10:24 PM
yeh pretty much correct... only reason why i said slightly undo top bolt is to reduce the preload so the coilovers rotate easier.. then do it up after

Riviera
15-04-2009, 10:25 PM
very simple...

*you only loosen the bottom ring
*you then rotate the lower portion "Which is your case has the N+sticker on it"
which connects to the wheel hub LCA (lower control arm) that my friend is what adjusts the height
*measure the gap, and do the same on the other ones...

i had to do this on my easter friday morning... because i got done for being too low...
75mm to the sway bar sigh... +$100 fine

you only adjust the spring if you want a stiffer ride and/or lesser or more travel,
+adjusting the dampening knob on the top.

TIP: when adjusting the dampening knob on the top
rotate the screw slowly like 1 click for every 2 seconds....

btw i did mine all on the car... adjusted the heights twice in less than
30mins... i might lower it back down a bit this weekend... sway bars sitting at 125mm
coilovers barely travel 15mm...

RtN
15-04-2009, 10:44 PM
lol.. you cant rotate the lower portion unless you undo bolts... thats a longer way. just rotate the coilover to screw into the lower portion.

outatime
15-04-2009, 10:51 PM
not familiar with this type of coilovers..how do you lower the shock body ? can you rotate it without taking it off from the control arm?

RtN
15-04-2009, 11:06 PM
yes you can! :thumbsup:

RtN
16-04-2009, 07:53 PM
how'd you go mate sorry was busy getting powdercoated rims putting on etc etc... cudnt lower car. but i assume there shouldn't be any problems after the explanations.

02ZZI
16-04-2009, 10:41 PM
yeah worked a treat will have to upload some picture's later. Was a bit of a pain though obviously not being able to get to the top screw in the rear coil's easy. But eventually got it down pretty nice.

Now its low and feels great

Thanks for the help

RtN
17-04-2009, 12:28 AM
oh mine was easy haha coz the rear carpet is cut for the rear strut bar.