PDA

View Full Version : Removing 500ml of oil ?

midnightdood
15-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi,

In the event of the engine being overfilled with motor oil -
Does anyone know how to remove - just 500ml of engine oil ?

What i've thought of so far...
----------------------------
---> Keep oil cap on (so the oil drains slower) - well hopefully - and go from there.
What i'm worried about...
------------------------
--> Not being able to put the bolt back on the sump after i've taken it off with the amount of oil coming out and dropping the sump bolt into the abyss.

hisoka
15-04-2009, 05:56 PM
oil wont drain to much slower with the cap on lol~its pretty fast still

500ml is quite a bit. if it was less you could burn it out. just drain it and refill the car again. you dont wanna damage your engine from to much oil

90LAN
15-04-2009, 06:00 PM
get a clean container and redrain then re pour in

midnightdood
15-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Arghh!!! - Good thing that i didnt try it yet.
*thanks for the heads up*

oil wont drain to much slower with the cap on lol~its pretty fast still

midnightdood
15-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks man!

I guess that sounds about right.

hisoka
15-04-2009, 06:30 PM

pretty good idea this one. but i was told never ever to do it, comes out with alot of flushing. back in my motorbike days i was told never to do it. not trying to start arguement, its just what my tafe teacher said lol. his a deisel fitter, but worked on bikes alot

taman
15-04-2009, 06:35 PM
just slowly undo the sump bolt but leave it half way in, oil will slowly seep out.
when u think you have drained enough, tighten it, wipe the area with a rag and check your oil level again.

ive done it many times and it works for me.

90LAN
15-04-2009, 06:39 PM
pretty good idea this one. but i was told never ever to do it, comes out with alot of flushing. back in my motorbike days i was told never to do it. not trying to start arguement, its just what my tafe teacher said lol. his a deisel fitter, but worked on bikes alot

so whats already in there will harm the motor when it goes back in ?
no arguement
just sometimes everyone gets something wrong or misunderstood

hisoka
15-04-2009, 06:41 PM
i think because the waste is sitting on the sump bottom~ and when you drain and repour it makes its way through other smaller parts that it usually wouldnt get up to when engine is working. not 100 percent sure man lol~

90LAN
15-04-2009, 06:46 PM
i think because the waste is sitting on the sump bottom~ and when you drain and repour it makes its way through other smaller parts that it usually wouldnt get up to when engine is working. not 100 percent sure man lol~

yeah so your motor wont be damaged if you dont drain it
but once you drain it magic particals form in the air and damage your engine when it goes back in
common sense is sometimes is the best answer

Min988
15-04-2009, 06:52 PM
I was hoping their be a more magical answer over common sense. Looks like draining and repouring is the go, you've already drained the previous oil and the crap in the sump would have already been drained out with it, I assuming, I wouldn't use the 500mls you recover again as top oil anymore though.

Btw half un-doing your plug doesnt always work, mines seems to only drain once all the tread of the plug is out, I usually lose my plug in the container in the process.

RtN
15-04-2009, 08:45 PM
how abt just drain and pour in new oil. i've done this method before and yes gets a little panicky if u cant get the bolt in correctly and fast enough...

souperman
15-04-2009, 09:25 PM
cant you suck out some oil via the dipstick bit? i've seen hanny's drain oil completely using this method...

90LAN
15-04-2009, 09:45 PM
cant you suck out some oil via the dipstick bit? i've seen hanny's drain oil completely using this method...

unless you are good at sucking
then by all means do your magic lol

Limbo
15-04-2009, 10:00 PM
i've done the draining and pouring, no issues. If your really worried you can get a tissue or filter of some sort to pour in.

TONTON
15-04-2009, 10:26 PM
use a Syringe thing... but suck it up...

its got the volume measure aswell

http://www1.westfalia.net/medien/scaled_pix/580/580/000/000/000/000/000/161/09.jpg

the one in the link is 500ML

Paul1985
15-04-2009, 10:48 PM
yeah so your motor wont be damaged if you dont drain it
but once you drain it magic particals form in the air and damage your engine when it goes back in
common sense is sometimes is the best answer

I think the TAFE teacher was trying to drum it into people not to re-use dirty oil.

If you have it drained. Give it an oil change.

To take 500mls of oil. I've done it at work for oil samples.

Proper way: Get a syringe and a long bit of suitable hose on the end of it. Feed it down the dipstick tube and into the sump and suck some out.

What i'd do, crack the drain plug with a drip tray underneath, open it ever so slightly and let 500ml out that way, quickly put the plug back on once you feel you have 500ml.

Not sure if they were mentioned, didnt read the whole thread

90LAN
15-04-2009, 10:51 PM
I think the TAFE teacher was trying to drum it into people not to re-use dirty oil.

If you have it drained. Give it an oil change.

To take 500mls of oil. I've done it at work for oil samples.

Proper way: Get a syringe and a long bit of suitable hose on the end of it. Feed it down the dipstick tube and into the sump and suck some out.

What i'd do, crack the drain plug with a drip tray underneath, open it ever so slightly and let 500ml out that way, quickly put the plug back on once you feel you have 500ml.

Not sure if they were mentioned, didnt read the whole thread

were taking about new oil he has just overfilled with
not old oil that hasnt been drained yet

Paul1985
15-04-2009, 11:18 PM
were taking about new oil he has just overfilled with
not old oil that hasnt been drained yet

If it were new, i'd put it back in there.

Paul1985
15-04-2009, 11:19 PM
You could dip the dipstick in 500 times and wipe it each time lol.

90LAN
15-04-2009, 11:21 PM
You could dip the dipstick in 500 times and wipe it each time lol.

haha thats a option
good one

mrwillz
15-04-2009, 11:25 PM
i would drain it into a clean container and fill it back up to the right amount

the idea of half loosening the sump bolt to let out '500mL' doesnt sound good, dont know if you would be able to tighten it properly with oil everywhere

tekung89
16-04-2009, 12:04 AM
so lets say ur 500ml over the full line, wat can happen? - read on, too much shit can happen wen overfilled unreasonably

midnightdood
16-04-2009, 05:48 AM
I rushed it and messed up.

Was trying to remove the oil slowly by undoing the sump bolt and letting it drain. Unfortunately the heat started coming through the gloves ( i didnt wait long enough ) and with the oil on the rubber gloves - i couldnt put the bolt back before getting burned.
Oh well... i thank you all for the tips. The long and short of it is that i had to get some new oil to replace the lot.

There are those days.

aaronng
16-04-2009, 08:11 AM
How many cm were you above the full line on the dipstick btw? Usually about 0.5 cm above is still alright.

EK1.6LCIV
16-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Ive seen some blokes with Porsches fill it upto a cm over for track days?

how much over the dip stick is too much?

the only way is the drain bolt, and like mate said earlier mine too also doesnt push out oil unless its all the way out, lol, then it goes for a swim in the container and I use a magnetic stick to find it in the hot/warm oil, lol

beeza
16-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah,fishing around in hot/warm oil ftl,it's so bad for ya skin,especially on my model type hands :)

I was about 0.5 tp 1cm over last time and just left it and it has been fine.

aaronng
16-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah,fishing around in hot/warm oil ftl,it's so bad for ya skin,especially on my model type hands :)

I was about 0.5 tp 1cm over last time and just left it and it has been fine.

It's not your skin. It causes cancer.

beeza
16-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah I remember reading that but it dries the crap outta ya skin and then it cracks,like strait away.

Paul1985
16-04-2009, 11:29 AM
dealing with brake fluid all day is worse.
That dries the crap out of your skin because that shit is hygroscopic which means it draws moisture. In this case from your hands.

beeza
16-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Lethal! Gotta wear those gloves.

tekung89
16-04-2009, 11:40 AM
do it wen its cold, u will get an accurate reading on ur dip stick rather then wen its been through a drive and only cooled down for 1-2hrs.

remove the sump bolt until the last thread, remove it slowly and hold the bolt onto the hole to however much oil flow u feel is right. approx 500ml? place the bolt back in and check dip stick. easily done wen cold

EK1.6LCIV
16-04-2009, 12:52 PM
you can check your oil when its at the servo fine, which is why they recommend checking it everytime you fill up along with the coolant reserve :D

midnightdood
16-04-2009, 02:04 PM
I was almost 1cm above full. Some places dont seem to take too much care with customers cars... *sigh*.

How many cm were you above the full line on the dipstick btw? Usually about 0.5 cm above is still alright.

beeza
16-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Make sure you let them know what has happened.

I'm a gonna go have a beer with my mechanic after work,my shout for the help he has given me.Top Bloke! :)

aaronng
16-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I was almost 1cm above full. Some places dont seem to take too much care with customers cars... *sigh*.

That's alright. I put about 1cm above max when I am on track.

EG52NV
16-04-2009, 04:21 PM
The first time I did an oil change on the Honda I over filled the car to like 1.5 cm above the full indicator, so what I did was undid the sump plug very very slowly, held it against the sump so it wouldn't just fall out and once i felt it was off the threads I titled it slightly to make an opening for the oil to run out, this was so that when needed I could easily pop the bolt straight back in the hole, I had to do it a few times coz I didn't exactly know how much oil 1.5cm meant.

The funniest thing was after I had finsihed and tightened the bolt and cleaned everything I went to drain the oil from oil pan into a container OMFG to my surprise I had left off the washer for the sump bolt it must of fell into the oil pan when I had originally pulled the sump plug for the oil change.

So what was I gonna do... ended up getting a clean plastic bag put it around my finger and used it to block the drain whole, while using my other hand I got the bolt off and reinstalled the washer, this required extreme precision because I knew if I messed it up I'd either get oil everywhere or I'd end up draining half the oil that was in the engine..

beeza
16-04-2009, 04:29 PM
WHOA! Damn man...Phew!

"this required extreme precision" - Excellent hehehe