PDA

View Full Version : Honda accord 94 vti with h22a. Starts then turns off

b16a man
15-04-2009, 06:24 PM
It just started about 2 hours ago.

I start the car then after about 1 second the car turns off.

Sometimes i only have to restart the car once sometimes about 4 or 5 times.

Can anyone help me with this issue as it is quite annoying.

i put fuel just before this problem started. First time this have ever happend to me.

Cheers

John

b16a man
16-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Please help anyone lol

Another thing is that the dash lights sometimes do not work when i turn the key?

also at the start of the week my speedo stopped working 2 times only for about 2 or 3 seconds while i was on the freeway

really weird stuff is happening.

Any help would be great. I am on holidays so will not need to drive it very much at all.

You guys thing it is electrical? or could it be something else starter motor or distributor?

The car goes to start perfectlly normal until i let go of the key then it just stops.

I dont know very much about cars but hope to get some help soon before i get ripped off by some mechanic or auto elec.

Cheers

John

FAT VTI
17-04-2009, 01:59 PM
sounds to me like your module on your ignition barrel.
I had this problem, it will need replacing because the terminals are not lining up and thus not making a good connection, therefore it starts and then because they are not kept in contact, goes off again.
This is what i reckon it is anyways.
If it was ur starter motor, it would most probably make more of a choking noise before starting, not so much a start then drop out. To check if its your starter motor, you could probably wait until u cant start it, then hit it with a hammer or equivelent, not too hard and dont damage the housing as it will need to be in alright condition when u change it (becuase they refurbish them).
This is a band aid fix though, however i still think it is your module, there was a thread about this i'll try and get a link but it sounds much more like this module.
Ive replaced module and starter motor in 94 accord so have some knowledge of the problem.

FAT VTI
17-04-2009, 02:02 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108148&page=2

p.s. you bought a nice ride :P

b16a man
17-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Do you think this can be fixed by an auto elctricion?

and how much would it cost roughly?

Just need it fixed badly before i get my clutch done and front engine mount done lol

j.meng87
17-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Its better to get a new one. Cost around $100 from honda dealer. Its not that hard to change it yourself and only takes about 10-15 mins to do.

FAT VTI
18-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I paid $50 for a reconditioned one installed.

U won't need a genuine one, its just a burnt terminal, im sure a reconditioned one will be fine, they have a life span on them of 10 yrs from new anyways.

zillacles
18-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Its better to get a new one. Cost around $100 from honda dealer. Its not that hard to change it yourself and only takes about 10-15 mins to do.

Have you done it before? I went to take mine out and it looks like I have to drill out some bolts to do it? (Going off of ALLDATA guide and visual inspection)

CB7_OWNER
19-04-2009, 08:05 PM
bit off topic, but where did you get the h22a put in in nsw??

j.meng87
20-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Have you done it before? I went to take mine out and it looks like I have to drill out some bolts to do it? (Going off of ALLDATA guide and visual inspection)

What i did was cut a straight line across the head of the bolt using a hacksaw so i can fit a flat head screwdriver. It wouldnt be easy as there is not much room to move around but you'll get it done eventually.