PDA

View Full Version : tyres kumho tires

onlykillzz
16-04-2009, 02:12 PM
i was wondering where i can get a set of this tires and what do people think about them? are they noise? good in the dry? good in the wet?

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3944/31032009274.jpg

jesmine0
16-04-2009, 02:29 PM
you can try http://www.option1garage.com.au/ or 3268 1113
they located in brisbane & having sales now. I quote few days ago for 260 per pair

onlykillzz
16-04-2009, 02:32 PM
ya sorry looking in Melbourne

jesmine0
16-04-2009, 11:59 PM
they can post it. I quote the postage of 40 per pair to perth. All up 600 for 4 tyres delivered.

kriZy
17-04-2009, 11:51 AM
but are they good? :D

didz
17-04-2009, 02:00 PM
The best tyres are the ones u are currently using :D

they are rated quite highly on review sites.

jesmine0
17-04-2009, 04:35 PM
i read from supra forum that plenty of ppl using it and hv very good review on it. especially for the price.

but they are actually semislicks and wear out quicker that street tyres.

vippy84
17-04-2009, 04:38 PM
I got mine today.. street tyres though, not the semi slicks.. shipping was fast!!

onlykillzz
17-04-2009, 06:42 PM
hay vippy how do thay feel ?

vippy84
17-04-2009, 08:33 PM
havent install them yet.. looking good though.. i am finishing the current tyres that i have first before i install them in.. so it wont be in a while though.. cheap, so just get it first.. might never be next time especially recession time like this

vippy84
17-04-2009, 08:35 PM
oh btw, i bought KU17
KU36 is semi slick.
I bought street tyres KU17 instead of KU31. KU17 has higher treadwear rating, so i guess it will last longer and quieter

CB7_OWNER
19-04-2009, 08:14 PM
ku31 are bang for buck tyres. good good for the price u pay per corner

didz
20-04-2009, 03:53 PM
i read from supra forum that plenty of ppl using it and hv very good review on it. especially for the price.

but they are actually semislicks and wear out quicker that street tyres.

they (KU36) arent semi's

Marketers will be quick to say they are however they are street legal. Semi's are NOT street legal. Moreover, they are 150 treadwear rating. If these are semis, so are RE001 and AD07 (which they are not).

chargeR
20-04-2009, 04:11 PM
they (KU36) arent semi's

Marketers will be quick to say they are however they are street legal. Semi's are NOT street legal. Moreover, they are 150 treadwear rating. If these are semis, so are RE001 and AD07 (which they are not).

Lots of "semis" are street legal. R888, RA1, RE55s, A048 are all street legal.

Phased
20-04-2009, 07:47 PM
As above there are plenty of Semi-Slicks which are street legal. RE001's have a treadwear rating of 220, NOT 150.... I am looking at my old mans tyres now. I'm unsure of the treadwear rating on the AD07's though. I'm assuming it would be similar.

I would recommend the AD07's/DZ101's/S-Drives/P-Zero's. Stick with the S-Drives you got a quote for!!!

jesmine0
22-04-2009, 04:31 PM
they (KU36) arent semi's

read the article below
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Stick-Like-Gum-06/A_2912/article.html

as chargeR & Phased say, there are so many semi slicks that are street legal.

adnoh
22-04-2009, 05:58 PM
i was wondering where i can get a set of this tires and what do people think about them? are they noise? good in the dry? good in the wet?

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3944/31032009274.jpg

my tyre shop had sell this tyre, pm me if u r looking for it :thumbsup:

ksl
27-04-2009, 01:54 PM
brought a set of ku36 for my dc5, used for around 3 days now,
dry- they're very good, personally i think it stick better than the re001, but not r very quiet tyre, but i think is normal.

Wet- only driven for 5 minute, so I cant give too much information now

Considering the price, so far they're great

mugsee
27-04-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm unsure of the treadwear rating on the AD07's though. I'm assuming it would be similar.

I would recommend the AD07's/DZ101's/S-Drives/P-Zero's. Stick with the S-Drives you got a quote for!!!

Treadwear rating of the AD07s is 180.

Out of the tyres that you've chosen, the AD07's would be miles ahead of the rest, cost wise and performance wise.

Phased
27-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Treadwear rating of the AD07s is 180.

Out of the tyres that you've chosen, the AD07's would be miles ahead of the rest, cost wise and performance wise.

Miles ahead? They're a fantastic tyre, however I'm not to sure if I would say that. The S-Drives are a very similar tyre (They are after all, from the same manufacturer). The AD07's are about $20-30 more expensive a tyre than the S-Drives and that's if you get a good price. The 180 tread wear rating doesn't exactly translate into a good life span for street/daily driving. The S-Drives tread life is around 280-300 for memory, very good tyre for it's compound.

mugsee
27-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Miles ahead? They're a fantastic tyre, however I'm not to sure if I would say that. The S-Drives are a very similar tyre (They are after all, from the same manufacturer). The AD07's are about $20-30 more expensive a tyre than the S-Drives and that's if you get a good price. The 180 tread wear rating doesn't exactly translate into a good life span for street/daily driving. The S-Drives tread life is around 280-300 for memory, very good tyre for it's compound.

I've owned both tyres. Granted they were on two different cars, the difference between the grip and handling response of the two are very different and I believe are miles apart. I've seen lap times from cars running ad07's that will challenge equivalent cars running semi slicks. You won't see s-drives doing the same.

Where have you seen prices for AD07s? To be able to pay $30 more than an s-drive would make it the best tyre option available on the market.

Phased
27-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Different cars isn't good grounds of comparison. The cars suspension/chassis and design dynamics will change the handling much more than a difference between two high-end tyres.

About one year ago I got them both priced in 205/45/R16, S-Drives were $235, AD07's were approx $270 a tyre. Keeping in mind I think it was Bob Jane, which have been known to rip people off... In comparison RE001's were $210 I think. I have the quote card somewhere.

I've been in two cars with S-Drives and they show solid grip over DZ101's, T1R's in dry conditions and RE001's in wet conditions. They were both the same car (Integra). Comparing against tyres that were on the same car.

I'm not disputing that AD07's aren't a fantastic tyre, there is no doubt that they are better (expessially for track work). For street driving, I just wouldn't say "miles ahead". There from the same manufacturer and based upon similar design theory's.

Limbo
28-04-2009, 12:14 AM
anyone know the rough price of the Ku36?

onlykillzz
28-04-2009, 12:26 AM
there was a group buy for them at around 117 a tyre and $50 shipping on the Nissan forums but i and able to get all 4 from here any time for $650 which is pretty good just wanted some feed back on the tyres but...... thanks anyway ppl

ksl
28-04-2009, 01:04 AM
anyone know the rough price of the Ku36?

Currently the Fsport are making some promotion discount, if you in Sydney, you can save on your shipping cost.

http://www.fsport.com.au/fsport_siteroot/home.html

chargeR
28-04-2009, 09:15 AM

Different cars isn't good grounds of comparison. The cars suspension/chassis and design dynamics will change the handling much more than a difference between two high-end tyres.

About one year ago I got them both priced in 205/45/R16, S-Drives were $235, AD07's were approx $270 a tyre. Keeping in mind I think it was Bob Jane, which have been known to rip people off... In comparison RE001's were $210 I think. I have the quote card somewhere.

I've been in two cars with S-Drives and they show solid grip over DZ101's, T1R's in dry conditions and RE001's in wet conditions. They were both the same car (Integra). Comparing against tyres that were on the same car.

I'm not disputing that AD07s aren't a fantastic tyre, there is no doubt that they are better (expessially for track work). For street driving, I just wouldn't say "miles ahead". They're from the same manufacturer and based upon similar design theories.

I think that you and Mugsee are disagreeing simply because you want tyres for different reasons. The AD07 will be miles ahead of the S drive in performance and speed. The S drive will be miles ahead of the AD07 on tread life and heaps of other things that no-one cares about like noise :p. My AD07 wail very loudly. You haven't really justified in what way the S drive is even remotely equal to the AD07 in any category apart from longer treadwear?

Claiming that they are from the same manufacturer and thus made with the same design theories is silly in my opinion, the AD07 is clearly designed for maximum performance and acceptable tread life whereas the S drive is not. I would pick the AD07 for street use or track use. More grip is never a bad thing for the driving experience or safety even at the expense of tyre life and comfort.

Phased
28-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm talking about street performance. As I mentioned for the track the performance may be worth it, but for the street... I don't think it would be.

Ive been in a car thats had both, the AD07's were noticeably better, but considering their compound, I simply wouldn't say there miles ahead. It's difficult to say that any High-End tyre is "miles" ahead of the other... Remember I never once said that the AD07 wasn't noticeably better...

To me when you say miles ahead you mean comparing a Silverstone to a RE001.

EG52NV
28-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Man I still can't believe I got my AD07's 205/45/16 for $150 per corner from Taleb tyres!

Phased
28-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Man I still can't believe I got my AD07's 205/45/16 for $150 per corner from Taleb tyres!

Haha, for that price I would of bought his store out, then resell them. Lol!

mugsee
28-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm talking about street performance. As I mentioned for the track the performance may be worth it, but for the street... I don't think it would be.

I'm talking about street performance as well, and the AD07's are the better performance street tyre out of the two, by miles. Notice that in the original post, the OP was looking at a performance tyre and not a tyre with heaps of thread life.

Ive been in a car thats had both, the AD07's were noticeably better, but considering their compound, I simply wouldn't say there miles ahead. It's difficult to say that any High-End tyre is "miles" ahead of the other... Remember I never once said that the AD07 wasn't noticeably better...

Did you drive both cars with the AD07's/S-Drives or were you a passenger? Why were the AD07's noticeably better?

To me when you say miles ahead you mean comparing a Silverstone to a RE001.

The AD07 is a great tyre but I'm not sure if its up there with the Silverstone FTZ. I'm sure both of these tyres though would be miles ahead of the RE001 though.

http://www.silverstonecompetitiontyres.com/ftzrr.jpg

VS

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff49/mselaine_87/chen%20jin%20trading/bridgestone_re001.jpg

EG52NV
28-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Haha, for that price I would of bought his store out, then resell them. Lol!

I would've but I was just lucky enough to have picked up the last set lol..

Crapdaz
28-04-2009, 03:58 PM
back on topic any experience with KU36's any1?

Phased
28-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm talking about street performance as well, and the AD07's are the better performance street tyre out of the two, by miles. Notice that in the original post, the OP was looking at a performance tyre and not a tyre with heaps of thread life.

Did you drive both cars with the AD07's/S-Drives or were you a passenger? Why were the AD07's noticeably better?

The AD07 is a great tyre but I'm not sure if its up there with the Silverstone FTZ. I'm sure both of these tyres though would be miles ahead of the RE001 though.

I Removed Image Links. To avoid a double post.

AD07's had an immediate noticeable difference in lateral grip and straight line performance. It MAY have been a difference in the pressures (pretty sure both were running 40/38) however the S-Drives felt like they had noticeably stiffer sidewalls. They're both 2-ply to my knowledge, however I could notice the difference in ride comfort.

I personally know the OP and I know tyre wear is an issue to his decision. However Price was more of an issue than wear ratings. Thus why his going for Kumho's.

I think you and I agree, I just think that we have differant definitions of "Miles ahead". As I've always said, they are without a doubt better, but "miles ahead" to me means comparing an $80 Silverstone to RE001's/DZ101's.

BTW when i said Silverstone I meant bottom of the range $80 tyres, like the ones i got on my first car... Should of probably mentioned that, lol.

The above comparison of a Semi-Slick to an RE001 is without a doubt fairly useless. Regardless of brand a semi-slick will most likely outperform a street tyre significantly. But, I see your point as I mentioned the entire Silverstone brand.

ksl
29-04-2009, 04:32 AM
back on topic any experience with KU36's any1?

I'm using it now, what kind of stuff you want know?:angel:

mugsee
29-04-2009, 04:52 PM
I personally know the OP and I know tyre wear is an issue to his decision. However Price was more of an issue than wear ratings. Thus why his going for Kumho's.

I think you and I agree, I just think that we have differant definitions of "Miles ahead". As I've always said, they are without a doubt better, but "miles ahead" to me means comparing an $80 Silverstone to RE001's/DZ101's.

Conversation gets lost when one knows more details (about the OP's needs in this situation) than the other. Lets replace 'miles ahead' with 'better performance' and call it a day. :thumbsup:

Get the Kumhos. Very good bang for buck.

didz
29-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Yeh got my KU36's fitted yesterday. They are excellent and outperform my RE-01 tyres i had on there previously.

Phased
30-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Conversation gets lost when one knows more details (about the OP's needs in this situation) than the other. Lets replace 'miles ahead' with 'better performance' and call it a day. :thumbsup:

Indeed.

Out of interest. What car(s) did you the AD07's on? If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay (price&size)?

ksl
30-04-2009, 02:59 AM
ya, ku36 is very good bang for buck, considering they perform very good on the dry road, waiting to test them on Wakefield..:)

uncivilised
30-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Hey thats my photo :P

I have those tires installed on my DC2R for 1000km so far. Much better than the re001 in the dry. (Never really liked the RE001 anyway, felt the same as the maxxis mav1 i had before) In the wet its a bit iffy but maybe thats me.

They're noisy too, almost like 4x4 tires, but harden up and turn the stereo up :D

I have the tires pumped up 38psi on the front and 36 on the rear. Still playing around with the tire pressures.

They do wear quickly and they don't come with much tread as well. But for that price on the option1garage sale and the grip you get, Ill get them again for sure.

mugsee
05-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Out of interest. What car(s) did you the AD07's on? If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay (price&size)?

I ran them on a DC5R and have used them as a daily on the street and on the track. Sizes were 255/40/17 and 235/45/17.

They were from another person so I don't know the prices he paid for them, but they certainly wouldn't have been cheap. They've now sinced passed hands/cars.