PDA

View Full Version : The 09 Odyssey

Qld_ODC
16-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Anyone had a good look yet? The dealer where I spent easter had a std version in their holding yard in 'Polished Metal' - which looked really nice, through the fence :)

The accessories/Modulo brochure has lots of 'dress up' bits but the stereo has to be in the most ridiculous spot I've ever seen - esp for one that's not a Sat Nav one.

Closer inspection reveals a few nice new touches - self levelling HID headlights and tri-zone air cond, foggies & body kit (Lux) BUT no 'tip-tronic' style for the transmission anymore. And roof racks are now limited to 50kg max weight. Smaller fuel tank too...

Not enough to tempt me to update.

Eckerz
19-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah, had a look at one on Tues, the dealership had the Lux model on display. I really like the changes Honda has done to the body. It has a more aggressive look now :thumbsup: And yeah... :thumbsup::thumbsup: for the self-levelling HIDs and tri-zone AC on the Lux model. Regarding the tip-tronic style gearshift, the salesperson told me that Honda did a survey on this and found that >80% of Odyssey owners didn't even know what it was, hence their decision to remove it in the 2009 model :(

Qld_ODC
20-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Hmm, I bet 80% owners of the 2009 model won't know what HID lights are so better get in quick....

I like the new exterior look too - dontcha hate it when you think you've got a nice looking car and then they make it better.

Atjo
20-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I still don't like the rear end. I had a look at both model. The interior on the standard model is crap & looks cheap. The luxury is ok but i still prefer RB1. Lucky i didn't wait for RB3 and the dealer told me the drive-away price for luxury is $53500, more than $10K that what i paid for my RB1.

AusAccord
20-04-2009, 10:58 PM
agree nothing more than that Dan. RB3 front is good but rear is sucks and cost almost 15-20% more than RB1 in Australia. haven't test drive one yet but no tiptronic on steering wheel in AUS models? WTF, thats standard in Japan

UNLS1
21-04-2009, 04:52 PM
ive been driving mine for a week now, i love the drive, the top end power.
alot smoother than the old, i just dont like the interior colours.

there is no triptronic for aus models.
most of the mums never use it lol

steering is much lighter with the EPS. Suspension is a little bit firmer. A pillars are much smaller and the lux gets a bodykit as standard!

Atjo
21-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I never like OEM bodykit anyway and i will not spend more than $50K for odyssey.

kongfu
25-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Mugen kit for RB3 is so nice!

AznEmpress
25-04-2009, 05:23 PM
The Od is hottt! <3 it! Dunno what it'd feel like to park it tho... it's a pretty fattt people-mover :s

AusAccord
27-04-2009, 12:04 PM
test drive one on Sunday, more power, great view with slimmer A pillar, nice steering wheel design and thats all the pros. cons, bloody stereo turn me and my wife off deeply, interior and rear design, power steering feels lighter.

most important is the fxxking price, standard model is just under AUD 50K (on the road) and the salesman said no discount whatsoever. they said mine (RB1) can only be traded in for abt AUD 25K and have to pay another AUD 25K for a new model..... rather buy another car then.....

Atjo
27-04-2009, 01:34 PM
It's not worth it. It's still new so they won't give you discount. How much they quoted you for the standard? They quoted me $53500 for luxury.

AusAccord
27-04-2009, 01:40 PM
he didn't quote anything to me, just straight off fm the dealership price list as no discount even 1 cent....... as i remember its either AUD 48,995 or AUD 49,995 for standard model

Atjo
27-04-2009, 04:37 PM
If they quoted me $53500 for luxury then the standard should $6000 less than that.

Tom Gioskos
27-04-2009, 08:11 PM
I looked at the new Odyssey last week and am considering purchasing it.
I have 3 kids (1yr old, 6 yr old, and 8 yr old).
My issue is anchor points for the middle row are in the roof and I need to use the middle row to fit a baby seat and a full booster for the 2 youngest and H harness for oldest.
(a) Can this be done.
(b) Will this be a pain for people sitting in the 3rd row.
(c) What happens to storage space if a 3rd row anchor iis used e.g. If I need to put a pram or stroller in the car?

Would appreciate insight from experiences of people with the Odyssey just replaced as apperas to be similar configuration for anchor points.

AusAccord
27-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Tom, may be you can refer to this thread giving you some ideas as not much difference between RB3 to RB1 http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98476

Qld_ODC
27-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey Tom - I've got the just superceded model.
I have three kids - 11mths, 7 yo and 9 yo.
My two oldest don't need booster seats or a H harness so we've got it a bit easier than you.
As you know, the middle row anchor points are in the roof at the tailgate. When our baby seat is in the middle row drivers side, the third row is still quite usable. The strap is 'in-your-face' a bit but OK as long as the person isn't too tall or claustrophobic.... When it's in the middle there's a bit of an access issue to get to the far seat but again still mostly ok.
You are going to have a problem with having all points in use if you want to put 2 adults in the third row.
What config where you going to run with?
I'd run with baby seat on drivers side, H harness in centre, booster seat on pax side.
You could swap the booster and H around but I think either way, to get to the back row the booster seat would have to come out while loading up.
If you were wanting to carry your family plus two adults I'd put booster plus one adult in third row and baby, H and adult in the middle.
Back to your Qs
a)Yes can be done.
b)Yes (!) if all 3 are in use in the middle row but there are ways around (as above)
c)Use of 3rd row anchor makes it harder to use the luggage space and will restrict what you can get in there easily. Shopping bags - no dramas but a pram?? Stroller would be better bet!
Don't know where you are but if you are going to spend $50k on a new car find a dealer who will let you take in your whole family, car seats, pram and all, and do a full reality check before you sign up. I did for mine and I'm glad I did.

krogoth
28-04-2009, 12:40 PM
not worth it i reckon

the older odyssey looks 100x better

Eckerz
28-04-2009, 04:15 PM
If they quoted me $53500 for luxury then the standard should $6000 less than that.
These are the drive-away prices I got quoted at one of the dealerships in SYD...
Standard: $47,600.
Luxury: $53,900.

Tom Gioskos
28-04-2009, 09:01 PM
These are the drive-away prices I got quoted at one of the dealerships in SYD...
Standard: $47,600.
Luxury: $53,900.

RRP for Std $43,990 ($47,480 drive away) and Luxury $49,990 ($53,630 drive away) in Melbourne (Heidelberg and Doncaster).

Tom Gioskos
28-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Hey Tom - I've got the just superceded model.
I have three kids - 11mths, 7 yo and 9 yo.
My two oldest don't need booster seats or a H harness so we've got it a bit easier than you.
As you know, the middle row anchor points are in the roof at the tailgate. When our baby seat is in the middle row drivers side, the third row is still quite usable. The strap is 'in-your-face' a bit but OK as long as the person isn't too tall or claustrophobic.... When it's in the middle there's a bit of an access issue to get to the far seat but again still mostly ok.
You are going to have a problem with having all points in use if you want to put 2 adults in the third row.
What config where you going to run with?
I'd run with baby seat on drivers side, H harness in centre, booster seat on pax side.
You could swap the booster and H around but I think either way, to get to the back row the booster seat would have to come out while loading up.
If you were wanting to carry your family plus two adults I'd put booster plus one adult in third row and baby, H and adult in the middle.
Back to your Qs
a)Yes can be done.
b)Yes (!) if all 3 are in use in the middle row but there are ways around (as above)
c)Use of 3rd row anchor makes it harder to use the luggage space and will restrict what you can get in there easily. Shopping bags - no dramas but a pram?? Stroller would be better bet!
Don't know where you are but if you are going to spend $50k on a new car find a dealer who will let you take in your whole family, car seats, pram and all, and do a full reality check before you sign up. I did for mine and I'm glad I did.

Qld ODC (or anyone else) - do you have any regrets or would you consider another car where you have 3 kids that need anchors?:)

Qld_ODC
29-04-2009, 08:23 PM
No regrets. Would buy the car again. Would go a different colour - you only need to look at mine to scratch it....
The only non 4x4 vehicle we didn't look at when we bought was the CX9 and that's because it wasn't out then!
It would have been nice for the anchor points to be integrated into the seats (ala the 99Commodore wagon we used to have) but for us in a hot climate the roof mounted a/c, the low loading height, stylish looks and not wanting to spend a fortune on fuel meant the trade-off was worth it.
I'm not familiar enough with where other vehicles have anchor points to comment further other than to repeat what I said before - make sure you try the vehicle (any vehicle) exactly how you will be in it day to day.
Do you really need 7 seats?

bezzita
02-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi all,

I just registered on this forum and I wanted to share the price I paid for this new Odyssey. I just bought White MY09 Odyssey with alot of haggling... finally I got it down to $49,990 Drive Away with full tank of fuel and Floor mats at John Blair Honda. But I went there with a friend that already bought 3 cars for the past 4 years.

Before I went to John Blair Honda, I went to Hoppers Crossing honda because I live near by (Point Cook) but they only willing to go down to $50,600.00 without floor mats and without fuel tank of fuel. I hate the sales person and the manager, the manager insisted his price was the cheapest drive away price for My09 Odyssey in Oz and they said if I come back they wont give me this price anymore etc. etc. I just say thanks and walked away

The key is..., just make sure you tell them you ready to do a deal and prepare to walk away if they dont agree with the price.

Hope this help for anyone thinking and ready to buy this car.

Cheers,

Bezzita

Edit: The car is Luxury MY09

Atjo
03-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Hi all,

I just registered on this forum and I wanted to share the price I paid for this new Odyssey. I just bought White MY09 Odyssey with alot of haggling... finally I got it down to $49,990 Drive Away with full tank of fuel and Floor mats at John Blair Honda. But I went there with a friend that already bought 3 cars for the past 4 years.

Before I went to John Blair Honda, I went to Hoppers Crossing honda because I live near by (Point Cook) but they only willing to go down to $50,600.00 without floor mats and without fuel tank of fuel. I hate the sales person and the manager, the manager insisted his price was the cheapest drive away price for My09 Odyssey in Oz and they said if I come back they wont give me this price anymore etc. etc. I just say thanks and walked away

The key is..., just make sure you tell them you ready to do a deal and prepare to walk away if they dont agree with the price.

Hope this help for anyone thinking and ready to buy this car.

Cheers,

Bezzita

Edit: The car is Luxury MY09
Did you talk directly to the manager Brett? When he told me drive-away for luxury is $53500 was because he knew that i won't buy the car and he can give me a better price when i brought someone there who really wanna buy the car.

So how's your impression with RB3? Any pics?

bezzita
03-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Did you talk directly to the manager Brett? When he told me drive-away for luxury is $53500 was because he knew that i won't buy the car and he can give me a better price when i brought someone there who really wanna buy the car.

So how's your impression with RB3? Any pics?

Yes I talked to him directly and he's bit arrogance IMO.

The car will be delivered within 2 weeks, I will post pics later.

Btw, loe indo kan? gue sering liat mbl loe..., keren banget. Pagi pas brangkat kerja sering liat..., gue yg pake Chrysler H1T4m :)

Tom Gioskos
03-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Went and had another look at the '09 Odyssey to try to convince myself to buy (my wife wants this car for 7 seat option). I compared it to the previous model, the dealership had a used model on the floor as well.

I think the middle row seat in the previous model for seating 3 people in comfort was better. The old model was a flatter bench like structure with a 60:40 split. I think the older model was more user friendly in seating 5 using the 1st and 2nd rows only.

New model is similar but has a V like shape and the middle seat in the middle is very skinny, and hard. It folds down to be drink holder for the larger bucket shaped comfortable seats next to it. I hope I have described this sufficiently, if not think of the Toyota Kluger which has similar 2nd row. I think this middle seat is one that people will only use as a last resort, and only for a small child.

With the anchor points in the roof for the middle row (in the face of people sitting in the 3rd row), and in the way of storage space for the third row, I wonder whether in Japan they use a different anchoring system for child seats, because as a designer of the vehicle there are better places to put the anchors so they are not in the way (that is, on the back of the seats under the head rest).

I also wonder whether this car has been designed for people in Australia to use with child seats? Are the anchor points a compromise to fit Australian safety standards?

My discussion with a salesman at one of the many dealerships I have visited to see this car, went along the lines of - in Japan this is designed to carry 4 people with option for additional 2 in the back if you go on short outing .....

I think the car is a great vehicle, but not one for people with young kids requiring the use of the anchor points, unless you are willing to compromise with above shortcomings. But why should have to compromise?

Qld_ODC
03-05-2009, 06:22 PM
The simple answer to what I understand is a complicated issue is that a lot of the world uses ISOFIX and we don't - and the Aus Std requires the top tether that ISOFIX doesn't. :thumbdwn:

Atjo
03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Yes I talked to him directly and he's bit arrogance IMO.

The car will be delivered within 2 weeks, I will post pics later.

Btw, loe indo kan? gue sering liat mbl loe..., keren banget. Pagi pas brangkat kerja sering liat..., gue yg pake Chrysler H1T4m :)
Haiya... ini mas Erfan toh... gua Daniel yg pake euro biru ENDUT, kalo di freeway pagi2 sering ngefloor nih, gak kekejar sama odyssey gua hehe

Tom Gioskos
03-05-2009, 07:18 PM
The simple answer to what I understand is a complicated issue is that a lot of the world uses ISOFIX and we don't - and the Aus Std requires the top tether that ISOFIX doesn't. :thumbdwn:

As per your original advice I will need to take 2 child seats and H harness to try the car once again and see whether I can live with it - problem is that there are no alternatives if you want a fuel efficient car that does what the Odyssey does, and is made by a manufacturer that has a reputation for reliability, in the Aust mkt.

Subarau is releasing the Exiga in the Aust mkt later this year but will only be a 6 seater in Aust (apparantly something to do with maintaining 5 star ANCAP crash rating), and based on other Subarus I have seen will probably have anchor points in simular place as Odyssey.

bezzita
03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Haiya... ini mas Erfan toh... gua Daniel yg pake euro biru ENDUT, kalo di freeway pagi2 sering ngefloor nih, gak kekejar sama odyssey gua hehe

Daniel, pm sent :)

Qld_ODC
03-05-2009, 08:02 PM
... problem is that there are no alternatives if you want a fuel efficient car that does what the Odyssey does, and is made by a manufacturer that has a reputation for reliability...

Exactly. For your particular situation there's a compromise you have to make.
You have to decide which way you go.

I'm thinking you'll have the car longer than all of the kids will be in harnesses/boosters/baby seats so as long as you can manage in the short term it's not worth compromising on the quality and long term economics of your purchase.

evolution
05-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Just tested the RB3 Lux. These are what I feel, my opinion is biased because of stuff that I have done to my RB1 as compared to a stock RB1. I've been riding on coilovers and BBK for so long now that I have forgotten what a stock one use to feel like.

Interior:
1) View is better thanks to smaller a-piller
2) I think because the car comes with the crap looking 2 DIN stero, the dash seems like it's missing alot of stuff, it also feels cheaper, more plasticky
3) No black interior, the colour combi is bad
4) Gear knob feels wierd, must be too used to the old Odyssey.
5) No 'Oh! that's new' gadgets.

Exterior:
1) 17's still look small
2) OEM body kit looks alright, but I would prefer without and go for the Mugen lip kit
3) Car looks lighter than RB1 as in it's not that solid. dunno if it is good or bad

The Drive;
1) Can feel the increased power.
2) Suspension is stiffer but still comfortable, I can feel quite a bit of body roll when cornering
3) Brakes are still the crappy ones, I nearly rear ended the front car in traffic.

In short... I still prefer my RB1 although I would like the power increase.

AusAccord
05-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Just tested the RB3 Lux. ...... In short... I still prefer my RB1 although I would like the power increase.

haha Evo, pretty much same feeling for the RB3. must admit Honda Australia choose the best 2 din stereo to make the interior sucks.

with AUD5k+ increase of price, can spend the same amount of money for getting more horsepower than RB3 with the help fm Mr. HKS ;);)

evolution
06-05-2009, 12:00 AM
with AUD5k+ increase of price, can spend the same amount of money for getting more horsepower than RB3 with the help fm Mr. HKS ;);)

And it would be more fun with Mr. HKS.

Forgot to add on thing about the interior, in the RB1 we could fold the middle row seat into the seat frame by lifting up the bench part so that it becomes one long flat floor. With the RB3, the middle row seats can only be folded down and the centre row is higher than the third row. This can be really annoying when you are transporting stuff like tables and other large based items where the uneven surface makes it hard to load the items.

Atjo
06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Lucky i didn't wait for RB3 but i couldn't get the price i wanted as the RB1 stock is limited while the demand still high.

raysa
08-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I was looking forward to a new Odyssey.
Went to my local dealer with a luxury odyssey with 10 months warranty remaining and 47000 kms to trade.
Offered me 27k for mine with a change over of 26k. I thought that was a bit steep especially when he said mine would be on the lot for between 35-36k,
so holding on to this one.
A bit disappointed dark leather isn't available as the tan has marked quite badly in my one.

Tom Gioskos
09-05-2009, 09:58 AM
I was looking forward to a new Odyssey.
Went to my local dealer with a luxury odyssey with 10 months warranty remaining and 47000 kms to trade.
Offered me 27k for mine with a change over of 26k. I thought that was a bit steep especially when he said mine would be on the lot for between 35-36k,
so holding on to this one.
A bit disappointed dark leather isn't available as the tan has marked quite badly in my one.

Try sell privately, and buy using Private Fleet.

Qld_ODC
10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Yep - finally got to have a look thru the new Ody over the weekend. They seemed to have changed a lot of things for change's sake rather than for a good reason.
Really don't like the IKEA coloured timber trim.

So all in all - meh!

Tom Gioskos
10-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Older model looked better, cleaner lines without body kit, dark leather as option, and more user friendly middle row (fit 3 on it better than new model which has shocking fold down drink holder). Only advantage in new car is update on some of features (stability control, lap sash middle seat middle row seat belt, maybe little bit more leg room in 3rd row).

evil R34
10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
i hate wat they did with the stereo its like they forgot bout it in design and just slapped it in there last min. also the radio face is a little had to see wen the sun is in the cabin

Qld_ODC
10-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah you're right Tom, its really a 2+2+2 now, with occasional 7 up use around town.

As for the plusses:

Stability control - hmm, not sure its a great plus. You'd be doing pretty well to get the Ody out of shape (in a way that SC could help)

Lap sash - agreed, a big plus but should have always been there...but then the middle isnt shaped as a 3 seater any way

3rd row - didn't try it out. My seat is front right so.... pft!

As for the stereo, its awful. I assume it's now easier to throw in a 2 DIN aftermarket unit with navi? But don't get a touch screen (or if you do get a 30cm ruler and sharpen one end)

Tom Gioskos
08-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Have put in an order for the Odyssey, despite all the issues I have with it. It currently is the best fit for my family unless we choose cx-9 or larger people mover Tarago/etc (wife not interested, they are bigger vehicles, in some cases much more expensive, and often much less fuel efficient which will become a bigger problem as fuel prices increase).

We get it in about 4 weeks.

We have optioned reverse park sensors.

(1) From driver's seat cannot see bonnet/front of car. Would you get front park sensors? They are not a factory option, but may be able to get after mkt?
(2) Would you get a tow bar - occasional use for bike rack or tow a lite trailer for camping?

Qld_ODC
08-06-2009, 05:43 PM
After a while you do get used to not seeing the front and you can judge where it is but it is quite un-nerving. I would consider the front sensors.

I have a tow bar. It's the lowest point at the back by quite a bit and scrapes on steep driveways. Having said that it might be protecting the rest of the car from doing that. I would get one again. The car tows my 7x5 box trailer ok but I have now got a roof box so won't be towing again unless going camping.

Enjoy your Ody! :cool:

Smoothaz
21-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Went to check out the RB3 on the weekend, looked at the polished metal colour and it was quite nice. I have the same anchor problem. I have a newborn capsule which would be in second row behind drivers seat and 2 baby seat which require anchor points. Salesman suggest that an anchor point can be custom installed to the base of the middle row as there is a cut out for it. He spoke to the engineer and it can be done to both sides of the middle row, that eliminates the in your face strap. As for the back row i have to look around for a booster seat that does not require an anchor, that leaves some room for the pram. I think its not a bad idea installing new anchor points at the base of the middle row, you can move the seats forward to let the back row people out and not have the baby seats in the way. What do you guys think?

Tom Gioskos
21-07-2009, 10:40 PM
We are enjoying the Odyssey. The only issue I have with it is anchor points in the roof - that is compromise we decided to make for all the things we liked about the car. There is nothing as fuel efficient, spacious, well equipped, and reliable on the market at a similar price. Closest I could think of is Dodge Journey in diesel, but have question mark on reliability, and loved the Citroen Picasso, but wife did not like the floaty ride and reliability is questioned in research. I think both these vehicles are worth a look.

Ideally anchors would have been on the back of the seats. I do not know if I would go through trouble of getting anchors fitted to floor. You learn to live with it, but just make sure you can fit all the baby/booster seats. A test before buying would be good.

We have 3 children - toddler, 6 year old, and 8 year old.

We have a toddler in front facing baby seat behind driver seat, and 6 year old in a booster (which requires anchor) in the middle seat in the middle row. This means 2 of 3 ceiling anchors are used. When we got seats fitted by an installer he suggested no one sit under the anchors as in the event of an accident a child may collide with them (or associated hardware) causing injury (though I note in the Honda handbook it recommends adults do not sit under anchor points when they are being used, however recommends children can). The installer advised that Mercedes in a (G-series (if memory is correct)) recommend you do not sit under anchors in ceiling when used. I presume Honda have done their research on this issue.

Note with above set up, folding second row seat is a bit of a squeeze to access 3rd row, but if you have a booster with H-harness in the middle seat, which relies on seat belt to secure it, as we do, you can slightly move the booster to make this easier.

8 year old uses a harness in third row, which is anchored in the floor behind the seat. We use a McLaren stroller which easily fits behind third row, in between the strap attached to the anchor and seat. If you were using both anchors behind third row this may be difficult. With our arrangement when required you can fold down the driver's side third row seat, which provides more luggage area if required.

8 year old is probably about a year away from not requiring a harness, which will make all of above easier as he will then sit in 2nd row (passenger side), and 3rd row will be used as required.