PDA

View Full Version : big end bearing gone

Shagga
17-04-2009, 09:20 PM
heya guys,:wave:

when i start the engine (b18 from a '98 integra GSI) on cold i get about 1 second of knocking coming from the motor until full oil pressure kicks in, then no knocking. no noise on a warm start.have been advised by a few mechanics it sounds like a big end bearing. driving the motor it sounds fine.

some have said that means a full engine rebuild, others have said that they can replace big end bearings without a full engine rebuild but instead by taking off the sump and sliding back the crankshaft and delicately slide in a big end bearing.

when i ask how long can have before it becomes an urgent repair and the answer is how long i think a piece of string is...

keep in mind the engine has only done 146,000kms and otherwise in excellent condition.

any thoughts if you have had this issue before, what is a feasible lowest cost option for a daily car that is not dodgy, and how much does it roughly cost (another question i have never got an answer to!)

many thanks:honda:

shagga

delsol9000rpms
17-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I would say its not your big end bearing. Rather your tappets just being noisy upon a cold start because there isnt much oil on and around them..

bennjamin
18-04-2009, 05:36 PM
also consider changing to a different rated oil too.

Shagga
19-04-2009, 11:06 PM
thanks for all your feedback to date.
- has official honda oil in it
- just had a major service done at Honda last week that included adjusting the tappets
- Honda tested oil pressure and its as per normal
- this is a loud clunking noise that must involve the crankshaft to be this loud

keep the feedback coming...... reduces my assumptions ;)

lookingforboost
19-04-2009, 11:38 PM
hey i have a B18 with the big end gone i can up load a video of it running see if you think yours sounds like it?

Shagga
20-04-2009, 10:38 PM
love to hear yours pls. does it sound all the time? mine's only before oil pressure.

cheers

Centurius
21-04-2009, 12:31 PM
i changed all crankshaft bearings on my D16 without yanking the engine, just jacked her up nice and high and spent a few painstaking hours under it delicately removing/re-installing all the bearings again...

worked a charm though!

delsol9000rpms
21-04-2009, 04:21 PM
You might like to try a genuine oil filter if you dnt already have one.