PDA

View Full Version : Ek water temp!!!

JDM EK9
18-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi guyz... I have notice that my water temp is not very stable after i took it to the hills the other night .... sometimes when i drive down city my temp will suddenly go up above normal ... and exp when i go up muti - story carparks when 1st and 2nd gear is used The water temp tries to hit high... anyone could help ? I should say it was fine when i started to pour water into my reserve tank that goes into my raidator ... I'm suspecting There issn't much coolent left in the raidator and water temp Max for water is 100 degrees while coolent can hold more then that ....What u reckon?

lookingforboost
18-04-2009, 02:43 PM
is it leaking coolant or water anywhere??? sounds like you are losing coolant somwhere and its causing the car to get hot make sure you fix this before you do some damage to the motor!

JDM EK9
18-04-2009, 04:34 PM
yea .... i just went to top up and will see how it goes if is leaking Then its hole in the pocket again.............

DNY*BOY
18-04-2009, 05:11 PM
it could b a ceased thermostat , malfunctioning thermo fan switch , or hairline crack in the radiator all not very expensive and u can do it urself , i had the same prob .... dont drive around too long ull do u risk cracking head now thats expensive .... get it checked ie compression test on head/ check overflow bottle everytime u drive it if its constantly empty big prob!

redefine
18-04-2009, 07:11 PM
the same thing happened with our magna, turned out to be radiator.

although we were lucky, the radiator blew out the top before the head cracked XD. bloody mitsubishi. once we replaced the radiator, no more problems.

though it could be thermostat aswell.

omgzilla
19-04-2009, 02:37 PM
If it's losing coolant there should be an obvious visible leak - replace leaking item, refill, bleed system and retest.

If it's NOT losing coolant check the front fan operation (possibly a faulty switch). Once the engine is hot and water temp rises above normal operating temperature the front fan should cut in, temp should fall back to normal then fan should cut out. If front fan not cutting in - check fan switching circuit. If the fan is cutting in & out as normal - check thermostat.

Check the thermostat by running the engine til the front fan cuts in and feel for a temperature difference in your top and bottom radiator hoses. If the bottom hose is cold, the top hose is really hot and the water temp is still rising - this is a reasonable indicator that the thermostat is stuck shut. If so - replace thermostat, refill, bleed system and retest.

dumped echo
20-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah it could be as simple as the system having an air pocket.

Just be systematic and tick off possible causes as you go.