PDA

View Full Version : 5K & k20a3 mod - Need your HELP!!!

hourpung
18-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Guys,

I have an Honda Integra DC5 02 K20a3. Its AUTO, everything is stock and its just piss WEAK.
I have had it for nearly 4 years and would like to draw more power out of it, if possible.

I got quoted for turbo the other day, the guy said i would need 10k+ to start.
I guess im just looking for bolt on mods, such as intake,headers,exhaust and maybe cam. I will probably drive this car for 3 or so more years before i give it to my bro.

If you guys have any suggestions or which path i should take to gain power with my 5K budget then please feel free to help me out.

joe.teg
18-04-2009, 04:46 PM
hey mate
start with a 5 or 6 speed manual i say and then go from there

2002 TeGgY
18-04-2009, 04:56 PM
sell it, buy a type r...nuff said

hourpung
18-04-2009, 05:03 PM
sell it, buy a type r...nuff said

Yeah i know where your coming from. Its just that i can't cause technically its not my car. Either drive it or give it to bro lolz. unlucky...

I was just wandering will Intake, Headers, Cam and Exaust and maybe ECU reflash do anything? How much power gain am i looking at? I don't want to be a street king, i just want some power gain thats all. I am not into racing.

People have also told me to change the suspension, do you guys think its worth it?

2002 TeGgY
18-04-2009, 05:08 PM
well if thats the case, i wouldn't bother with any engine mods...cause intake/header/exhauste wont give you that much gain without an ecu...and you cannot run an ecu on the autos (i think). i would just get some coilovers, sway bars, strut bars and have fun with it in the twisties...

johnprocter
18-04-2009, 05:12 PM
lol why cant you run an ecu on auto? :S

hourpung
18-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Sigh, I am tossing and turning whether i should do it or not.

Some people say intake,cams,headers, exhaust and ecu have taken their dc5 auto to over 218hp.

And then some say that its just a waste money where no gain has been recognised.....

Decisions..decisions...

45SET
19-04-2009, 12:43 PM
lol why cant you run an ecu on auto? :S

You can't run Hondata with the semi-auto in the DC5... something to do with the Hondata only being made for manual cars.

One member in brisbane ended up selling his base model DC5 (With mods) and got a Type S because a stock Type R/S is better then a moded base.

Also, why are you spending your money on someone else's car?

Seriously, save your money, and start with a decent base. Moding a base model DC5 and DC5R are completely different to modding a DC4 or EK/EG.

45SET
19-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Sigh, I am tossing and turning whether i should do it or not.

Some people say intake,cams,headers, exhaust and ecu have taken their dc5 auto to over 218hp.

And then some say that its just a waste money where no gain has been recognised.....

Decisions..decisions...

Those gains are easily achievable with those mods... even a basic header change in a DC5R is noticable.

But start with the right base car before you start modding it.

joe.teg
19-04-2009, 01:51 PM
6 speed dc5r box would do wonders that you wouldnt believe then you can do the rest of your mods and notice more of a gain and when you do an ecu tune ull be able to run a more agressive tune anyways

45SET
19-04-2009, 02:03 PM
6 speed dc5r box would do wonders that you wouldnt believe then you can do the rest of your mods and notice more of a gain and when you do an ecu tune ull be able to run a more agressive tune anyways

Your not going to have much money left from $5k for a 6-speed DC5R gearbox... and thats just buying it... you'll still need to get it fitted, and I would imagine you would need a new ECU, as the ECU dosn't need to control gear changes anymore (You would have to find out if you which one you would need (I would imagine a Manual Base)

Then depends if you can fit it yourself...

If you have your heart set on spending money on it, get an intake and a custom cat back exhaust... and buy my stock AUDM DC5R headers... or the entire exhaust.

beeza
19-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Greddy e-manage?

joe.teg
19-04-2009, 05:05 PM
u dont need to change the ECU but some people who convert experience hunting when the engine is at low revs

Paul1985
19-04-2009, 05:16 PM
you would need another engine harness.
pedal box too..
possibly cluster..
shifter cables, shift knob etc

hourpung
21-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Those gains are easily achievable with those mods... even a basic header change in a DC5R is noticable.

But start with the right base car before you start modding it.

So doing those things will get me over 218hp easily?

if thats the case i might consider it. Labour is cheap cause i know sum1. But i dont know where to buy parts from.. ebay are my only options. ANd its confusing cause some people say type s and type r parts fit ony a base dc5 but some doesnt.....

Please help me out.

dc5s
21-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Personally, chasing power is fine, if it fits your budget.

However, in saying that, try not to chase for more power on that platform. If you want something just to enjoy, perhaps just a CAI should suffice for 'sound'. I've seen guys chase for more power because they got spanked on by "x" car. Then, it's a never ending battle to gain more power.

I know you have your reasons for doing so, so I respect that. It's just my opinion with all due respect to your build. Cheers and good luck.

Nepolian
21-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Two things you can do....IMO

1-Sell and buy DC5/EP3

2-Keep it and bolt on a Jackson supercharger kit. Should be able to do it for round your budget!

hourpung
21-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Personally, chasing power is fine, if it fits your budget.

However, in saying that, try not to chase for more power on that platform. If you want something just to enjoy, perhaps just a CAI should suffice for 'sound'. I've seen guys chase for more power because they got spanked on by "x" car. Then, it's a never ending battle to gain more power.

I know you have your reasons for doing so, so I respect that. It's just my opinion with all due respect to your build. Cheers and good luck.

Yeah that is totally true. I was just thinking of CAI, Full exhaust, Headers and some new rims. That comes to around 5k. If it can go more than 218hp, then yeah i would do it. Heck i drive mine stock and its pretty decent compared to the average car on the roard.

45SET
21-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Also... I've just noticed your car under your user name. Your car isn't a Type S model, as Australia never received a Type S in 02. Its a base or Lux model.

If you want to get techical, the AUDM Type R is the JDM Type S with a Type R body kit and interior.

Type S Tony
21-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Their we go again, Always getting technical!

Why dont you just go & get technical On this!!
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/Anthony_k20a/My20Commodore.jpg

Go on, get as technical as you like!

prusso
21-04-2009, 03:53 PM
nothing wrong with modding a auto base model dc5

if u want more info, pm me and im happy to talk, cos all ur gonna get is criticism here

if u modify it right a base dc5 can get "close" to a type r performance/handling

Type S Tony
21-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Man whats the point of modding & spending $$ if your only gonna get close??? I mean after your done youll have close to Type R performance, you wont even be close to type S & your out of pocket all these $$$.

When money & modding is involved "CLOSE" aint good enough, save ur 5 G's hold out for a few more years and get a better car to mod, Something like an evo or GTi

45SET
21-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Their we go again, Always getting technical!

Why dont you just go & get technical On this!!
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/Anthony_k20a/My20Commodore.jpg

Go on, get as technical as you like!

Its red... and going by the file name, you use to own it, so technically, its shit.

BURN!

if u want more info, pm me and im happy to talk, cos all ur gonna get is criticism here

if u modify it right a base dc5 can get "close" to a type r performance/handling

The entire time this thread has been open I have been trying to think of what your user name was so he could PM you and talk to you about it... but couldn't remember it.

Type S Tony
21-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Its red... and going by the file name, you use to own it, so technically, its shit.

BURN!

The entire time this thread has been open I have been trying to think of what your user name was so he could PM you and talk to you about it... but couldn't remember it.

BAHAHAHHAHAH.................... Wrong!

I got it from Google images

SYKE!

dc5s
21-04-2009, 04:16 PM
*waves* at fellow type-s owner

Type S Tony
21-04-2009, 04:40 PM
** Waves at fellow Type S Owner**
** Points at certain Type R Owner**
**makes fist punching hand signal at fellow type S owner while nodding head**
**Both type S owners go over & own Type R owner**

45SET
21-04-2009, 04:44 PM
**Type R owner gets in car and speeds off**
**Type S owners give chase**
**Type R owner goes into twisties**
**Type S owners loose Type R owner**

Type S Tony
21-04-2009, 04:48 PM
** Type S Owners uses extra 7kw of type S power**
** Type S owner Catches up to type R owner on straight**
** Type S owner then toys With type R owner**
** type S owner's flex their rear bars**
** Type R owners starts crying**
** Type R owners looks on as better looking & quicker type S overpass**

45SET
21-04-2009, 04:50 PM
**Type S owner then pulls it a little harder**

Type S Tony
21-04-2009, 04:56 PM
** Type S owner lets his Load out all Over Type R Bonnet**

Nepolian
21-04-2009, 05:36 PM
So much hate...........help the guy out and stop bitchin!

joe.teg
21-04-2009, 06:28 PM

My sisters boyfriend had a DC5 Lux with a 2.25inch catback with a mugen twinloop muffler, ebay SRI with K&N filter and a hondata s100 piggyback and he way ripping dc5rs to shreds... the only difference between yours and his is that his was a manual.

delsol9000rpms
21-04-2009, 10:49 PM
type S' has heaps of extra weight compared to the type R, the 7kw doesnt make up for the weight added...

dc5s
22-04-2009, 01:27 PM
My sisters boyfriend had a DC5 Lux with a 2.25inch catback with a mugen twinloop muffler, ebay SRI with K&N filter and a hondata s100 piggyback and he way ripping dc5rs to shreds... the only difference between yours and his is that his was a manual.

Bold statement, but I'll let others share their views. Actually no, back on topic :wave:

2002 TeGgY
22-04-2009, 01:30 PM

I loled

Type S Tony
22-04-2009, 01:32 PM

Are you on Crack?

joe.teg
23-04-2009, 10:07 AM
nope
experienced it myself

45SET
23-04-2009, 10:41 AM

I can see a lux model with those mods beating a stock Type R in a straight line... he has done the 3 things that are going to improve the car the most (Exhuast, intake and ECU)

But the point everyone else here is trying to make is that stock for stock or mod for mod, a Type R or S is always going to come out on top.

Type S Tony
23-04-2009, 02:02 PM
I can see a lux model with those mods beating a stock Type R in a straight line... he has done the 3 things that are going to improve the car the most (Exhuast, intake and ECU)

But the point everyone else here is trying to make is that stock for stock or mod for mod, a Type R or S is always going to come out on top.

And the point im trying to make is that any Integra which was produced as a Type S will always come out ontop of 45SET's Type R!

45SET
23-04-2009, 02:13 PM
**** man... If I come down to Sydney in July (Mother land trip has been postponed) i'm going to BASH YOU!!!

2002 TeGgY
23-04-2009, 02:23 PM
my motor might be done done around july, so should be in syd then...45SET, i reckon we should meet up with Type S Tony and show him what type r's are made of :p

dc5s
23-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Haha, ah well, racetrack!

45SET
23-04-2009, 02:52 PM
my motor might be done done around july, so should be in syd then...45SET, i reckon we should meet up with Type S Tony and show him what type r's are made of :p

Fark yeah, sounds like a plan!

Really, deep down inside, Tony LOVES Silver DC5R's... so he'll be be heaven when he sees our cars :p

Bludger
23-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah that is totally true. I was just thinking of CAI, Full exhaust, Headers and some new rims. That comes to around 5k. If it can go more than 218hp, then yeah i would do it. Heck i drive mine stock and its pretty decent compared to the average car on the roard.
with those mods, what you'll get out of your car for that 5k is a waste of money imo.

spend 5k on something else, a holiday maybe, then you'll be getting your moneys worth.

Type S Tony
23-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Fark yeah, sounds like a plan!

Really, deep down inside, Tony LOVES Silver DC5R's... so he'll be be heaven when he sees our cars :p

LOL @ offering out!

no matter what you do 45SET U cant bash me, im to quick for u!!!

SYKE!!!!!

But ill take u out clubbing & shiet if u do end up comming down anyway, Just make sure your nostrils are clear!

45SET
23-04-2009, 03:33 PM
LOL @ offering out!

no matter what you do 45SET U cant bash me, im to quick for u!!!

SYKE!!!!!

But ill take u out clubbing & shiet if u do end up comming down anyway, Just make sure your nostrils are clear!

It'll be the middle of winter... I'll try not to get a cold...

:zip:

Type S Tony
23-04-2009, 04:45 PM
It'll be the middle of winter... I'll try not to get a cold...

:zip:

you better not get a Cold...........Or Else!

Nepolian
23-04-2009, 05:09 PM

What are you building Fadi?? 2.4??

OB
23-04-2009, 05:51 PM
with those mods, what you'll get out of your car for that 5k is a waste of money imo.

spend 5k on something else, a holiday maybe, then you'll be getting your moneys worth.

best bit of advice in this thread.

Tofu
23-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Ok, i'm the guy in Brisbane who had a 2002 auto dc5 and spent more than $5k on it to only realise it's not even close to a TypeR!! I sold it and bought a TypeS and did the usual mods.

I had Injen CAI, Australian TypeR header & cat, Fujitsubo Powergetter catback and an Apexi VAFC-II. Suspension I had Mugen sport suspension (non-adjustable), spoon strut bars front and rear, rear tie bar, 26.5mm front sway bar (off a stock TypeS), 24mm Whiteline rear sway bar and some Toyo T1R on stock 16" rims.

Handling wise it felt great, but once you've done all these you still want more. I could hold around corners pretty well against stock and modded TypeR/S, but when it came to exiting the corners the auto gearbox just didn't have any guts!! and it's just not enough power. Also not having a manual gearbox you cannot enter the corner as balanced as you would in a TypeR/S where you can use the clutch. I had to drive like a mad man in my auto DC5 just to keep up with TypeR/S and they're not even going hard. On some occasions you may be able to beat a TypeR/S around some tight twisties, but I can tell you that you have to not value your life as much as the other TypeR/S driver to be able to pull away from them.

If I were to do it again, I would have just kept my money and waited to buy a better car to start off with then mod it.

Tofu
23-04-2009, 11:23 PM

you can tune the k20a3 on the Hondata s100???

Bludger
23-04-2009, 11:54 PM
^^^^

LOL

someones full of shit:p

Moey.C
24-04-2009, 12:18 AM
hey guys he said he wants a bit more power and hes not that into racing..
he never said he wanted 2 be as fast as a type r/s

howeever i do think the people are right..
save ur money and do the mods on a better car as it will be a bit of a waste of money

keep it for a few years.. make it look nice drop it n some wheels. maybe an exhaust for a bit of sound.. ?
=]

eski.
25-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Reading this thread, I feel the same way about my 03 dc5 lux...except mine's a 5 speed, lol

I've only had the car for 5 months but wished I held out a bit longer and got a type r or s instead. Atm my engine is stock as I rather not waste any money on it (although tempted to) and have only spent money on exterior mods and coilovers.

For those who went from base-->Type R/S was the swap worth the cost/hassle? I mean its almost the same car just a better engine with real vtec and a 6spd + a few other extras. Wouldn't going to a totally different car like an s2k or evo be more worth the hassle of changing cars?
I guess going from auto to a 6spd manual would be a bigger jump than a 5spd to 6spd.

Been thinking of changing cars in a year or so for something decent to mod and was just wondering what my options were.

Tofu
25-04-2009, 10:47 PM
eski, if you can try out someone's TypeR or TypeS for yourself and see how you like it may be the best thing to do first. I see that you're in Melbourne, and there's plenty of nice guys with DC5R and DC5S in Melb that you could talk to.