PDA

View Full Version : euro wont start

crunkman99
19-04-2009, 04:04 PM
just replaced the battery with a new one, and the day after my euro isnt starting. its not the battery becasue we got jumper leads and then tried to start it

it just keeps ticking and doesnt turn over to start up?

i got some one looking at it tomoro, what do you guys think could be a main reasons?

[ricer]
19-04-2009, 04:42 PM
have u got an aftermarket alarm?

felixd
19-04-2009, 04:42 PM
hmm that could be ur alternator :(

power_of_dreams
19-04-2009, 04:52 PM
^^

agree, sounds like alternator.

yfin
19-04-2009, 04:54 PM
is all the power in the car ok - ie if you turn the headlights on are they working nice and bright and stay running - or are they really weak or turn off after a short time?

Also did you check the fuses? Could have blown something accidentally when you did the battery change or with your jump starting.

yfin
19-04-2009, 05:00 PM
^^

agree, sounds like alternator.

I thought that the alternator is not required to start the engine? He said it doesn't start even with jumper leads. This suggests something else like starter motor.

When you tried to jump start was the other car running? Quite often batteries that you buy off the shelf have been sitting there for 12 months and are well and truly very weak.

tony1234
19-04-2009, 05:00 PM
starter motor,it's not engaging on ring gear of flywheel?

crunkman99
19-04-2009, 05:06 PM
yea the other car was running, no after market alarm, but now the battery has gone flat becasue i was trying to start it and was testing a mates sub so now all power is drained from the battery.

the battery isnt the issue it was working fine until a few days after the battery was installed.

all the elecrics worked wen the battery was good and the car wasnt starting.

yfin
19-04-2009, 05:09 PM
checked fuses? When you did the battery change did you clean all the terminals and connectors?

power_of_dreams
19-04-2009, 05:14 PM
I thought that the alternator is not required to start the engine? He said it doesn't start even with jumper leads. This suggests something else like starter motor.

When you tried to jump start was the other car running? Quite often batteries that you buy off the shelf have been sitting there for 12 months and are well and truly very weak.

missed that part my bad.

As suggested I would try and clean the terminals, check the fuses and check the starter motor. If none of those work, you better hope its your battery.

When I had a flat, my electrics and lighting still worked, and it was ticking. Personally, I think you have a bogus battery

Bo0o0ost
19-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Reset the computer:
Disconnect the negative terminal, hold the brake pedal to drain the power to the ECU
Leave it for 5 minutes
Reconnect the battery
Turn on the car to the reds
Wait for the fuel pump to preasurise
Start the engine.

Can be a variety of things but the car might be thinking that someone is trying to steal it.

See how you go!

SPQR
20-04-2009, 12:55 AM
starter motor,it's not engaging on ring gear of flywheel?

Check the starter. It could also be a seized starter motor solenoid. This device engages the starter to the ring gear.

felixd
20-04-2009, 06:06 AM
hmm does it have the continues clicking noise from the start motor ? i got this problem when my battery gone flat and i tried to push the car and jump start it works :D.

yfin
20-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Isn't there something in the handbook about not push starting (as you typically see with newer EFI cars)? Could be a good method to use if you want to solve one problem and create another!

felixd
20-04-2009, 10:00 AM
i mean just push abt 2 metre not full on just to get the engine move

aaronng
20-04-2009, 10:55 AM
If it is not turning over, then something is affecting either the starter motor or solenoid. Check that out. Did you touch anything near the front engine mount or intake manifold? The starter motor is fragile.

crunkman99
20-04-2009, 12:16 PM
had a desiel mechanic who is a family freind, he tried to dignose the problem but couldnt find the problem. checked the fuses all fine and reconeccted the battery with another one still no start.

its being towed to formula honda later on today

Paul1985
20-04-2009, 12:36 PM
So it ran fine until you changed the battery??

You didnt put the terminals on the wrong way by accident or something like that?

crunkman99
20-04-2009, 02:32 PM
So it ran fine until you changed the battery??

You didnt put the terminals on the wrong way by accident or something like that?

it was running fine even after i changed the battery for 3 days, the terminals are the right way.

just been towed away now and taken to honda. ill call them later see if they got a look at it :(

i got a pic of it bein towed sad sight ill post later

unity
20-04-2009, 02:51 PM
i got a pic of it bein towed sad sight ill post later

Hey I'll tell you it's a lot sadder seeing your car towed away after it has been in a crash.

clayton4115
20-04-2009, 03:16 PM
my civic would not start yesterday but it was turning over, the RACQ guy came over and he knew exactly what theproblem was, a flooded engine!

the day before i moved the car back 5 metres to clean the garage and then moved the car forward 5 metres, that flooded the engine, so when you guys are just moving the car slightly make sure u keep it running for atleast two minutes so you dont get a flooded engine,

car works perfect now, immediate start up.

integral90
20-04-2009, 03:35 PM
my civic would not start yesterday but it was turning over, the RACQ guy came over and he knew exactly what theproblem was, a flooded engine!

the day before i moved the car back 5 metres to clean the garage and then moved the car forward 5 metres, that flooded the engine, so when you guys are just moving the car slightly make sure u keep it running for atleast two minutes so you dont get a flooded engine,

car works perfect now, immediate start up.

Not questioning tha vailidity of your story, but how could that happen? I understand the injectors are pressurised even when the car is off, but they don't squirt unless they're told to do they?

That worries me, I usually push my car further back into parking spaces if I can't be bothered turning the engine back on and off :eek:

clayton4115
20-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Well the RACQ guy tells me this is a common problem with and he gets called out to this problem all the time, i thought it was a flat battery, he measured the battery and he said your battery is fine, then he told me to start it, and it made this horrible grinding noise, then he said i know whats wrong, then he went and turned the ignition over and for about 10-20 secs and then she finally came to life, he turned it off, and then turned the car back on and it started straight away!

xxb4xx
22-04-2009, 12:35 PM
In regards to the starter motor issues..

Your terminals may not be tight on the battery..

Also, find the starter, and where the wires connect, that tube is the solenoid.. get a mallet and smack fu*k into it to release it from being ceased.. heat of the engine and particles can cease it up..

If this doesn't work..

on the solenoid, you have (+) (-) and a signal feed (3 wires all up),

remove the signal feed (should be the thinnest one) and expose the pin that it connects to...

From here, get a wire, or use a screwdriver and short out the Positive terminal on the starter, directly to the exposed signal pin.. this will force it to crank and turn.

If that doesn't work _______ time for a new starter dude.

clayton4115
22-04-2009, 02:12 PM
did u get it to start, what was the end result?

Edgeauto
23-04-2009, 08:15 PM
i bet the earth for the fuel pump has been left disconnected

crunkman99
26-04-2009, 02:50 AM
i bet the earth for the fuel pump has been left disconnected

yep it was the earth for the fuel pump. the bolt had been snapped off and had just been touching then i actually fell off.

formula honda charged 270 for it c@##'s

felixd
26-04-2009, 08:10 AM
owch !!! thats hurts but then u got ur car back :D

defibros
26-04-2009, 11:52 AM
As the wheather is getting cold in the morning I have problem cranking start straight away... I do realize if I turn the key to igintion and let all the ecu does all the check first the car starts better !!!

power_of_dreams
26-04-2009, 06:55 PM
As the wheather is getting cold in the morning I have problem cranking start straight away... I do realize if I turn the key to igintion and let all the ecu does all the check first the car starts better !!!

yep, thats what I do.
Wait for the green key light to off before I crank.

crunkman99
28-04-2009, 01:58 PM
yea i always let the oil and fuel start to pump before properly starting it