PDA

View Full Version : EG breeze left rear brakes won't release even when handbrake released

chicken8
21-04-2009, 11:02 AM
just started a week ago

parked the car overnight. released handbrake and rear left brake is still stuck. if you take off theres a bit of resistance and then a slight noise but then all is normal again

happens pretty much anytime the car is parked more than a couple of hours

if you pull up the handbrake again then release it then it gets slightly better

any suggestions guys?

jdmEG5
21-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Breeze has drum brakes doesnt it? If so, you can try taking the brake cover off, and see whats going on. Use double D40 and spray it on the springs that releases the drum pads in and out. Make sure you dont get the brake pads. Just my suggestion

Type S Tony
21-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Sounds like the slave cylinder is old! replace your rear brakes & use new slave cylinders!, When you take the springs of let them sit in a pool of oil for a while or replace with new items! also give the whole braking system a flush with some fresh fluid, and use grease on moving parts bar the actuall pads!

chicken8
21-04-2009, 11:46 AM
would that be a big job? how much would it cost a mechanic to do all that

jdmEG5
21-04-2009, 11:49 AM
you should be able to do it ur self. Its pretty easy job. Mechanic would probably chage you $50+ for one brake?

chicken8
21-04-2009, 11:53 AM
$50 is ok i guess

i wouldnt even know wtf im looking at. go mechanic next week i guerss

Type S Tony
21-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Its fairly simple but if you havent done it before it can be a pain in the ass! lots of little springs & shims!

jdmEG5
21-04-2009, 12:34 PM
agreed.

dumped echo
21-04-2009, 05:40 PM
By all means try what has been suggested above, but remember braking is one of the most important aspects of your car, so its a wise idea to get a mechanic to check it over if you're not confident.
Last thing you want is to pull the drums apart and then not be able to put it back together again. Then you'll need to tow it to the mech.