PDA

View Full Version : EG si door deadening

GEG
21-04-2009, 04:26 PM
taken from my car thread page, i figure you guys would help out more!

SO- the car was previously stripped for track use, so it is light as a feather. as a result, on the street, the interior of the cabin sounds like an earthquake..

i am struggling to adapt this track racing wonder to be compatible with the mean streets of sydney!

i have found out the sources of the rattles.

the doors
the back seats

ive spent all day searching on line for how to fill the door cavity with some sort of filling, it rattles and feels so hollow when i drive that it would be perfect on a track, but not the streets.

can i just buy big squares of foam from jaycar and try to pack it in, or do i need to buy these sound deadening strips that stick to the panel? the latter seems like much more effort...

OR can i but self expanding foam, and spray until theres nothing left in the can? experiences anyone?

The door handle part that you rest your forearm on seems hollow, and is very very creaky. you can push it in and pull it out a little, its not solid at all.

kcokla
21-04-2009, 04:47 PM
interesting thread, but i think the safest would be to do sound deadening with dynomat/and similar stuff.

dumped echo
21-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah dynamat is good for sound deadening road/transmission/engine noise, but in addition to that i think what you're after is something to settle the individual rattles.
If you've found the sources then you can start to soften them by sticking dynamat/foam/rubber onto the affected parts.
As for the arm rest, it may have a few screws missing or loose.
Just tackle each rattle/squeak one by one.

Red_EG4
21-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Gabriel
If your window is rattling when wound down, I have been told to tighten the window in the the rail.

GEG
21-04-2009, 06:42 PM
ok i will open it up and take a look in the next few days

will keep you all in the loop!

55EXX
23-04-2009, 08:30 PM
DIY wheel arches and heaps more info (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1571783#post1571783)

give that a shot :thumbsup:

chockz
15-05-2009, 10:54 PM
you shouldn't even buy the car. an IS200 would fit you juz fine..or maybe a 180sx. ha

shebangs
16-05-2009, 02:28 AM
you shouldn't even buy the car. an IS200 would fit you juz fine..or maybe a 180sx. ha

How does a $18k-$20k IS200 remotely compare to a $4000 EG?

Just start with SD'ing your doors, floor and boot. Make sure you use carpet with a solid underlay.

Then consider more drastic measures.

chockz
17-05-2009, 12:36 PM
How does a $18k-$20k IS200 remotely compare to a $4000 EG?

Ha, it's alright...sorry for saying that...GEG would understand.