PDA

View Full Version : temporarily disable abs on ek?

vinnY
22-04-2009, 11:51 AM
is there a way to temporarily disable abs for the time being? pulling out the fuse for now perhaps?

story is fixing my problems with the sensors, the abs would randomly kick in sometimes. no pedal pulse but i can hear the pump going and it would just make my pedal go stiff, whenever that happens brake force seems to disappear and if i step on it harder the abs would stop and i'd just lock up the wheels
figured it's dangerous so i'd rather disable abs for now rather than chance it everywhere

if you're curious what codes its throwing, at the moment it's throwing 12, 14 and 18
basically short on both left and right front and closed on rear left

omgzilla
24-04-2009, 10:45 AM
You should just be able to pull the fuse for the ABS. The ABS light will most probably come on though.

You could check your wheel speed sensors and wiring (done any work on brakes etc lately? 5 stud conv? Possibly damaged sensors?), failing that - possibly ABS c/u is dead. Seems a bit odd that 3 sensors are gone...

Tried clearing the codes and rechecking to see what codes come back?

vinnY
24-04-2009, 10:50 AM
do i pull the bigass 40a fuse?

sensors appear to be fine, one was dead and showing no resistance but i replaced it and all sensors appear to be physically okay and all are showing correct resistance ~900mark

cleared it once, only the two fronts said it had a short then after a couple days i rechecked it and it showed the rear left had a closed circuit or something

lights already on so it won't bug me, just need it to be completely disabled rather than on/off whenever it feels like it

omgzilla
24-04-2009, 10:59 AM
ABS Unit sounds like its got brain damage. Pull the fuse and it should deactivate the ABS pump.

PM'ed you ABS Troubleshooting pages i got from EK4 service manual.

Fuse appears to be hot/live at all times according to service manual, so just be careful you don't short it when removing it.

vinnY
24-04-2009, 11:03 AM
onoz brain damage
will give the troubleshooting thing a go tonight and see if i get any meaningful results
thanks mate :)

omgzilla
24-04-2009, 11:06 AM
No probs Vinny. Post back on how you go.

Limbo
24-04-2009, 11:32 PM
omgzilla u have an ek4 manual?
Can you tell me where i can get one?

omgzilla
25-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah mate got EK series manual - covers B16A2 motor aswell.

PM'ed.