PDA

View Full Version : do we have this in AUST?

epren
12-11-2003, 08:26 PM
http://www.efi101.com/
i really want to learn and tune my own car and my freinds cars.
its really hard to find a decent tuner around here(sydney).
only bad things i hear blah blah blah.
how hard is it really to learn how to tune a car?
is it "rocket science"?
do you need phd or somtin :) im just kiddng.
efren

A'PEXi
12-11-2003, 09:09 PM
are you talking about something specific - eg. ecu?

BLKCRX
13-11-2003, 12:35 AM
Sadly every 2nd person wants to tune there own car, and while in theory this is great I highly advise against it.
Tuning a car is a art, it requires 100’s of hours of learning on difference carts on different ecu’s , learning lambda air fuel ratios like the back of your hand, knowing how ignition works / how its tuned, huge detailed knowledge of dynos, understanding all factors that contribute to engine performance, mechanical knowledge and the list goes on and on.

The common thing is oh ill just “FINE” tune my car a little well hmm that’s where everyone gets it wrong, it’s the fine tuning done by a expect that will result in true performance tuning, so why would you want to do this your self if your not a expert.

If you have your own dyno. Your own portable wide band lambda sensor, denotation listening devices, timing lights etc then sure go ahead and start learning, but the only way to learn is to “kill” engines blow them up and go oh so that’s what that sounds like…..iv killed spare engines of mine on purpose just to hear what things sound like….

Every tom dick and Harry recons they can hear a engine “ping” and honestly 99% of people can’t !!! they hear wrong noises and say oh my engine is pinging blah blah….
To sum it all up leave tuning to the expects !!! it takes yrs of practice and knowledge… dyno shops are expensive because it’s a art what they do.

Regards James

bennjamin
13-11-2003, 09:22 AM
....Yeah- just like he said . 8)

Leave it to the professionals people.

Dont worry ! You are not less manly just becoz u cant really hear your car ping or diagnose a specific problem inside it....BUT you are a jerk if you stuff your car up totally due to "experimentation"

Its way worth paying the dollars in the begining for insurance in the long run .

Weq
13-11-2003, 12:34 PM
If you tune your car urself, dont expect it to be an optimal tune. Becuase simply put, without wideband 02 and a dyno you havnt got the facilities to substanciate any alterations you make. You have a butt dyno, and a dodgy A/F guage they doesnt say squate execpt look pretty. That said, Australia isnt known for DIY, espically the Honda community. Go to oversea's msg boards, trawl around and learn the basics. Investigate an AFC of somesort to start with an you can learn your way to chippping your own ECU and get Hondata for a fraction of the cost :P (no offense BLXCRX :) )

One last thing, just because your own a Dyno, wideband, motorshop and have access to supercheap auto, doesnt mean you CAN tune a car. It works both ways :)

epren
13-11-2003, 12:56 PM
i know that it should be left to the expert but experts were once a amatures to. i just want to know were did they get there knowledge from. what kind of qualification do they have or obtained to be a respected "tuner" ? do just get trained by the ecu manufacturer? i know its worth the money if you get wat your money have paid for. having a background knowledge of what needs to be done by the tuner will not leave you in the dark. i dont want to be a expert just knowledgeable :lol:
efren

poid
13-11-2003, 01:20 PM
start by reading www.pgmfi.org :)

EDIT: oh yeh, this thread is a great one as well...heaps and heaps of info to get you started. Its specific to an editor known as 'uberdata' but has lots of general tuning info as well. Oh, its a pretty big thread :)

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=626171