PDA

View Full Version : Low end EK4 mods

crazy.ivan
24-04-2009, 11:45 AM
I own a little EK1 hatch and I'm at uni for the next few years, so i have very little money.

I will be able to scrape together a bit of money, and I want to do some simple mods to my car.

Cold air intake
New exhaust system
Engine chip
Dyno tune

What do you guys think? I am limited to less than $2000 all up, which will be divided over 3 years.

Cost effective? Any other mods that relativly cheap for the power gains?

Any advice you can give me will be great help.

I love my civic, and stock as it is, its still one of the fastest cars out of all my friends cars, so any improvment will be great.

Its all about the drive for me... I just love it.

Thanks

eght
24-04-2009, 12:37 PM
i/h/e = intake headers and exhaust.
best bang for your buck is drive train mods like upgrading clutch, flywheel and LSD.

CRXDEL501
24-04-2009, 12:48 PM
you can make it under 2k.
just depends how you go about thing mate.
decide what you want with the mods firstly.

in terms of exhaust, you can pick up a good aftermarket one in the parts for sale section if your lucky. or if you dont want to pay much for a brand new aftermarket one straight off the shelf, go to an exhaust shop and they can do something up for you

for your intake, to save a bit, do a diy job. keep the stock intake box, change the intake arm and drop a pod filter. there are heaps of threads on cold air intakes.

for the chip, i wouldnt worry about a chip. if you mean ecu, then i wouldnt do that just yet. do the basics first like eght said.. intake/headers/exhaust.

dyno tune will come with the ecu.

crazy.ivan
24-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Ok, so my car, brand new, had 88kW.

1. How much would you say it has now?
2. How much power gain do you think i would get from just upgrading DIY intake, nice headers and a decent exhaust system?
3. What would that cost? $600? $1000?

Limbo
25-04-2009, 07:27 PM
ek4 has 118kw at fly, about 80-90kw atw depending on dyno.

I'd do CAI, exhuast, suspension upgrade (usually rear swaybar + ASR, then springs & shocks), in that order, and see where your money lands you.

Flywheel & clutch are good if you have some decent power already. It usually cost effective to wait until the clutch is about up and then get the clutch & fly done if your on a budget. Also getting a really light fly can be annoying if its a daily driver. Bang for Buck get an ITR fly secondhand, and a excedy sport organic clutch when your ready to change.

getting the ECU will net you minor gains without the above anyway. You normally get the ECU done once you have all your mods in place and looking to finalise it all together. You also need to see which way you want to end up going with your car also.

I'll give you an example of myself when i got my ek4.

First only minor mods, now its had almost everything done to it, barring cracking open the engine to rebuild it.
I only wanted a little power extra, then i got greedy, then i boosted it now i've upgraded the boost.

my ek4 use to make 90kw atw, then it was 162kw and soon to be 180+kw hopefully soon....

just my 2c

CRXDEL501
25-04-2009, 08:56 PM
my ek4 use to make 90kw atw, then it was 162kw and soon to be 180+kw hopefully soon....

good effort man :thumbsup:

i have to agree with limbo.

best thing to do is go one step at a time, and not to try and do it all at once.

VT1-R
25-04-2009, 09:24 PM
intake header exhaust should net u 100kw atw with a vafc on a mid reading dyno..

that is what an bolt on ek4 should expect..get cheaper 2nd hand headers if you can..esp those ppl with xforce headers upgrading to more exp jap brands.. they usually sell their xforce off for peanuts.. den use the savings for a set of decent tein springs at least.. to make ur car handle better..

crazy.ivan
05-05-2009, 01:53 AM
I know that I am going to cop a massive beating over this mistake, but i feel it must be corrected... in a slip of my mind, i typed i had an EK4... but all i actualy have is and EK1... Sorry... does that change much?

mrwillz
05-05-2009, 09:14 AM
for the d16y then
maybe just a axel back , intake

wouldnt spend much more..
maybe some handling mods, coilovers, springs, struts if you have the view to go on further eg. engine swap.

crazy.ivan
05-05-2009, 10:58 AM
so your saying its not worth doing I/H/E on the D16y?

Handling wise, its as good as i want it at the moment. I dont do track days or anything, so if im spending anything, it will just be for straight line speed.

so could anyone answer my post for before, but in reguards to the d16y:

Ok, so my car, brand new, had 88kW.

1. How much would you say it has now?
2. How much power gain do you think i would get from just upgrading DIY intake, nice headers and a decent exhaust system?
3. What would that cost? $600? $1000?

Thanks a bunch guys. If it wasn't for Ozhonda, I would have no hope of doing anything to my car.

mrwillz
05-05-2009, 11:03 AM
i had a d16y once upon a time
and its not really worth it spending lots on it, thats why i said intake and exahust should keep you happy for a while. i had a cheapie short intake, 150bux?, xforce axel back 250 or so fitted

gains, maybe 5kw?
might have around 60kw~ atw

if your looking for more power, then i suggest spend as minimal as you can now, save for a engine swap later.

saikou27
05-05-2009, 11:20 AM
1. hard to tell but should still be in the 80 something at least
2.not too much extra power but the car will be nice and responsive. you wont regret doing i/h/e. my advice would be diy cai with a cheapie pod filter from autobarn or something, x force headers cost around $400 from the traders here and the exhaust system 2" or 2.25" with ur choice of muffler or cannon. for a little bit extra get a high flow cat and vafc.
3.headers 400+ exhaust say 400ish( depends what muffler) + pod filter $20

Limbo
05-05-2009, 01:54 PM
drive it for a while, then if your unhappy, boost the D or get a B series swap.

saikou27
05-05-2009, 04:40 PM
drive it for a while, then if your unhappy, boost the D or get a B series swap.

what part of "im at uni and dont have alot of money" dont you understand? :p

crazy.ivan
05-05-2009, 05:42 PM
what part of "im at uni and dont have alot of money" dont you understand? :p

Thanks, you know where im coming from. the only thing that would change between the I/H/E and boosting it would be the intakes no? no, that sounds like i dont know what a turbo is. i mean, i would keep the headers and exhaust but remove the intake for the turbo?

I read on another thread ppl tearing down a guy for boosting his D... they said its not worth it.

What do you guys think?

saikou27
05-05-2009, 05:56 PM
no the headers and exhaust will have to changed aswell. you'll need a turbo manifold and bigger piping like 2.5". everybody has their own opinion on turboing and d series. all it comes down to is what you wanna do and what u wanna spend. if u think turboing a d series is worth it go for it. the d is a decent engine and very strong. compared to other honda engines it might seem like a waste of time but when u compare it to other n/a motors from other manufacturers its a really good motor and has proven itself as a very reliable and a decent performer amongst its rivals

kraiye
05-05-2009, 06:23 PM
it's not worth buying a brand new turbo kit for u'r D16 but definitely worth a 2nd hand one if u can pick one up - keep u'r eye on the forums.
hondas - no matter what engine - respond very well to boost.

imo, if u dont have a lot of money then don't spend too much on your EK1's engine. Just go for the cheap or 2nd hand I/H/E options. Prep the car for good handling and save for turbo/engine swap down the track.

"so if im spending anything, it will just be for straight line speed."
IMO... don't bother! Honda's (especially a single cam D16) are known to lack in straight line speed/torque.

rbk_212
05-05-2009, 07:17 PM
imo, if u dont have a lot of money then don't spend too much on your EK1's engine. Just go for the cheap or 2nd hand I/H/E options. Prep the car for good handling and save for turbo/engine swap down the track.

"so if im spending anything, it will just be for straight line speed."
IMO... don't bother! Honda's (especially a single cam D16) are known to lack in straight line speed/torque.

agreed, if you can afford to put serious cash into power, then get some suspension going, EK's are fantastic bases for a good handling car.

suspension can be expensive though so it all needs to be put into perspective to be made achievable

your other option is to just go basic i/h/e and then spend the rest on cosmetics, EK's are the sex when theyre done up :D

crazy.ivan
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
your other option is to just go basic i/h/e and then spend the rest on cosmetics, EK's are the sex when theyre done up :D

But wouldn't that just make it a real ricer?

My end result (after uni) will be a totaly stock car visualy, except for rims and a fresh coat of the origional green (few too many scratches atm), powered by either a turbo b16 or a turbo D16y, new exhaust and all the rest. Cosmetics arn't realy my thing, though i do agree, EK's are the sex when they are done up!

What sort of power would i be looking at coming out of a turbo d16y?

rbk_212
05-05-2009, 08:03 PM

My end result (after uni) will be a totaly stock car visualy, except for rims and a fresh coat of the origional green (few too many scratches atm), powered by either a turbo b16 or a turbo D16y, new exhaust and all the rest. Cosmetics arn't realy my thing, though i do agree, EK's are the sex when they are done up!

lol i said DO up not RICE up, EK's can be done tastefully
believe me ive seen some that are just sex on wheels!

and fair enough if cosmetics arent your thing, they arent mine either honestly.

a d16-T can look at around 100 to 120kw at the wheels depending on how much boost and the tune

a turbo B series is a whole different ball game, in terms of money and power. but you can get anywhere from 140 to 200kw ATW with a turbo B

Riviera
05-05-2009, 08:11 PM

only if ur a knob and put chromewheels on it, with stickers that make no sense
all over it...

keep it tidy and u cant really go wrong... just a nice set of rims and lowered
a bit... dont need to go gay chrome fuel door, or carbon mirrors lalala
dont wana be all show, some go...

Lyle??? Sexc86. can u enlighten us?? my guess 120kW atw :confused:...?

but anyways, like everyone has already said I/H/E if affordable
if not just get a intake happening... or H/E keep the stock intake
setup as it will provide some low down power. maybe DIY a pod inside
the stock airbox plus a cold air feed :thumbsup::thumbsup:

you got a EK1 and its faster than all your mates cars??? thats always a plus
what do they drive...

kraiye
06-05-2009, 09:51 PM
BTW is you budget still $2k over 3 years?
if so, then you can ignore all previous posts about turbos and Bseries :(

crazy.ivan
07-05-2009, 01:37 PM
BTW is you budget still $2k over 3 years?
if so, then you can ignore all previous posts about turbos and Bseries :(

im glad someone actualy remembers what this thread is about. I wont have a lot of money, so i just want to do little things, like mesh grill, DIY cold air intake, new headers if i can afford it... all stuff that will just make it that little bit better, performance and visual.

Speaking of DIY intakes, what are your thoughts on pod filters? Cheap brand or expensive name brand? i know they can range from like $20 to over $150 just for pod filter. Much difference?

saikou27
07-05-2009, 04:30 PM
im glad someone actualy remembers what this thread is about. I wont have a lot of money, so i just want to do little things, like mesh grill, DIY cold air intake, new headers if i can afford it... all stuff that will just make it that little bit better, performance and visual.

Speaking of DIY intakes, what are your thoughts on pod filters? Cheap brand or expensive name brand? i know they can range from like $20 to over $150 just for pod filter. Much difference?

cheap brands are ok. ive had my saas pod from autobarn that i got for $20. no problems coming on a year now. that and diy piping cost me a total of $30 all up

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/saikou27/P4170008.jpg

Limbo
07-05-2009, 04:48 PM
2k may still get you boost if your able to do some work. Read Lukezen's thread.
The kit cost him about $1500 and it came with a pre-tuned ECU for D series

crazy.ivan
08-05-2009, 12:08 AM
2k may still get you boost if your able to do some work. Read Lukezen's thread.
The kit cost him about $1500 and it came with a pre-tuned ECU for D series

Yeh, but ike i said in my first post, i wont have the money all at one time, so thats not much help.

ek_d16y4
08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
i got a 99 ek with the d16y engine
i have koni adjustable suspension
front rear sway bars
front strut brace
a cai set up
headers with 2 2/5 exhaust system with a hi flo muffler at the rear
altho the engine isn't very quick
the handling is excellent
it has an awesome sound to the exhaust not tinny at call (mainly because i don't have a cannon, and still run a resonator)
but yea
doe these mods and you'll be happy enough with the performance

crazy.ivan
09-05-2009, 11:46 AM
cheap brands are ok. ive had my saas pod from autobarn that i got for $20. no problems coming on a year now. that and diy piping cost me a total of $30 all up

Just wondering, what engine setup have you got going with that intake?

saikou27
09-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Just wondering, what engine setup have you got going with that intake?

atm its all stock but x force headers and exhaust will be coming very soon. greddy emanage tune and im contemplating a stage 1 bisimoto cam and high compression pistons down the track

crazy.ivan
09-05-2009, 05:39 PM
So thats just on the D19y?

Sweet rims in your profile pic.

rbk_212
10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
^^D16y4 sohc notec

crazy.ivan
11-05-2009, 06:59 PM
So thats just on the D19y?

My bad... d16y... late at night 9 looks like 6... lol

I was just a little suprised, coz that means after i put my DIY intake on, I will be running the same as you are now (with the same plans in the near future)

So, what does you filter look like? i found some cheap ones on ebay for $25-$40 but they all look a little bit dodgy (i dont know whether to trust somthing that cheap on ebay). I just feel like it might not filter good enough, or break coz its cheapo plastic. any brand names for pod filters under $50 that anyone can recomend?

and aftermarket pedal "covers"? what are your thoughts on those? you know the ones you get from repco for $30? secure? safe? worth it?

rbk_212
11-05-2009, 09:13 PM
My bad... d16y... late at night 9 looks like 6... lol

I was just a little suprised, coz that means after i put my DIY intake on, I will be running the same as you are now (with the same plans in the near future)

So, what does you filter look like? i found some cheap ones on ebay for $25-$40 but they all look a little bit dodgy (i dont know whether to trust somthing that cheap on ebay). I just feel like it might not filter good enough, or break coz its cheapo plastic. any brand names for pod filters under $50 that anyone can recomend?

and aftermarket pedal "covers"? what are your thoughts on those? you know the ones you get from repco for $30? secure? safe? worth it?

go to autobarn and get a SAAS pod filter itll do fine for you, plus you can pick them up for like 20 bucks

pedal covers are illegal and not really worth the hassle, you dont see them anyway

plus they can fall off or become loose and be a safety hazard, hence why theyre illagal

crazy.ivan
12-05-2009, 12:13 PM

Where did you get that piping? it looks pretty genuine to me. is it a honda spare part?

rbk_212
12-05-2009, 03:59 PM
its intake piping off a VN commodore

you can find it at pick-a-part and places like that and get several lengths and bends for around 10 bucks!

its good because it blends in with the stock piping coz it is actually OEM, just not Honda :P

aowwllan
13-05-2009, 12:25 PM
my old ek had

skunk 2 intake manifold
dc2r throttle body
plazmaman cold air intake
tri-y 4-2-1 headers
metal hi flow cat
megan racing 2.25" catback exhaust
dc2r ECU

it ran completely fine..

i had buddyclub spec 3+ internals and ctr pistons to put in but never ended up putting it in as i sold the car.

run that setup with ITR camshafts/cams gears/valves springs/retainers. Best bang for ur buck mod

rbk_212
13-05-2009, 01:21 PM
my old ek had

skunk 2 intake manifold
dc2r throttle body
plazmaman cold air intake
tri-y 4-2-1 headers
metal hi flow cat
megan racing 2.25" catback exhaust
dc2r ECU

it ran completely fine..

i had buddyclub spec 3+ internals and ctr pistons to put in but never ended up putting it in as i sold the car.

run that setup with ITR camshafts/cams gears/valves springs/retainers. Best bang for ur buck mod

mate there engines are single cam D series they cant put ITR heads on it

dsp26
13-05-2009, 01:29 PM
its a D series... no basic bolt-on mods like I/H/E will wake it up sufficiently for you to be happy.. save your money, sell it eventually and get a B16 powered car or any other car thats faster.... cmon ~80wkw from a stock D? which magical dynos are these from?

put it this way.. most people are satisfied in the 90-100wkw range with basic bolt-ons.. if you can't get there then don't bother especially on your understandably meager budget.

rbk_212
13-05-2009, 01:44 PM
its a D series... no basic bolt-on mods like I/H/E will wake it up sufficiently for you to be happy.. save your money, sell it eventually and get a B16 powered car or any other car thats faster.... cmon ~80wkw from a stock D? which magical dynos are these from?

put it this way.. most people are satisfied in the 90-100wkw range with basic bolt-ons.. if you can't get there then don't bother especially on your understandably meager budget.

while i understand where your coming from, can i just point out how annoying it is for D series owners that everytime they post a question they get bombarded with "do a b swap or sell it". its just not viable for everyone

plus he did mention eventually boosting his D which will give good gains

so for now bolt on's may be all he can do and he'll still get gains from them, his car just wont be as fast as say a B powered civic, but thats not always what people are aiming for.

dsp26
13-05-2009, 02:06 PM
while i understand where your coming from, can i just point out how annoying it is for D series owners that everytime they post a question they get bombarded with "do a b swap or sell it". its just not viable for everyone

plus he did mention eventually boosting his D which will give good gains

so for now bolt on's may be all he can do and he'll still get gains from them, his car just wont be as fast as say a B powered civic, but thats not always what people are aiming for.

thats exactly what everyone else is coming from.. plan from the start. if he is serious about boosting it then an intake and extractors that don't do much to begin with are already a waste and setback in cash which could otherwise be used on the 'make him happier boosted' setup eventually.

we're not dissing D-series owners... if your serious like Sexc86 was and follow through to the end then it's not a waste.. it probably worked out cheaper for him than the others switching to a B16a with only I/H/E

heres my example.. i have a b16a... while most will argue that a 2.5in mandrel system is overkill.. i do agree.. but from the very start i had already planned on cams and headwork which i followed through with... in that scenario it's not so much a waste of money anymore is it? i had a 2.5in system for the better part of the first 1.5yrs which noticably made my bottom end suffer.. but exhaust systems are one of those expensive things no-one should ever have to spend on twice.

people with base model non-performance cars never understand this... they spend money unneccesarily and have all these future plans their not commited to only to sell the car eventually at a loss to get something better when they can.. when they could have saved the money and got something even better.

for the many here with built NA engines... we all understand that it is a 2nd bank account, its VERY expensive to build an NA even with the basic bolt-ons

hers another common example and suggestion others here give, someone asks about a manual conversion.. its cheaper to sell the car and get a manual variant. if he wants ok power and he has $2k to spend over 3yrs, then i suggest save it, when he has enough cash, sell his car and get an EK4 or whatever EK comes with a B16a... he'll never know if he'll be happy with the power available on a perfect stock oem b16a ek when a d series with ihe can't get there and he can't compare properly. what he should do is drive someone elses car with a b16a or an integra vti-r... Eks hold their value and i'm sure he's better off selling than modding

dsp26
13-05-2009, 02:13 PM
we're not being negative

he's clearly budget conscious

for us here who are older already and have gone through cars and cars and the modding scene, we already know how it goes and where the end of the road is... this is the advice, knowledge and experience we share.

think of it as all the answers to your next mid-term exams. with out answers and insight, we wanna help others start from the middle of the ladder with we know than let them waste time money and effort and start again from the bottom.

but with cars, no-one ever listens, people wanna see for themselves... i realised that it was cheaper and more powerful for me to get a B18c7 in my car than build a B16a and i didn't listen... and this is where i am now. the difference is i have expendable income to learn from my own mistakes.. he doesn't

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 02:36 PM
i totally agree with dsp26.
when modifying a car, you have to first know what you want to achieve out of the car.
na or turbo.. then build the car towards that.

he wasnt dissing d series owners, was merely saying alot of ppl with those engines, decide to change to the b series, as they have a more potential.

dsp26
13-05-2009, 02:55 PM
but thats true... most of us here don't care what d-series owners think in the first place, d-series owners who think such are selfish... we're here to help this person. d-series owners have made their choices, honda owners here have made their choice over any other car brand... we're here to help someone at the crossroads

when it comes to spending money you have to be smart about it.... it comes down to a measure of ROI (Return On Investment) and feasibility.

It's a fundamental tought in Commerce class in high school or something you should know as instinct when you work in any sort of numbers industry.

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 02:57 PM
agreedd :D

crazy.ivan
13-05-2009, 07:39 PM
when it comes to spending money you have to be smart about it.... it comes down to a measure of ROI (Return On Investment) and feasibility.

Im sory, but no it dosn't... and if you had really read what i was saying and what i mean you wouldn't have said anything of the things you said today.

I am at uni... i am also a p plater... I have a small amout of disposable income. Therefore, i cant boost, i cant engine swap, and i cant do a lot of modding. What I can do is give myself a bit of gain, just to make my enjoyment of my little EK1 better.

I have done my research, I have a plan, and i know what I want (as i clearly listed in an earlier post). I fully realise the money and the effort i will have to put into my EK1 to get it where i want. But most importaintly, i realise that the mods i am looking at arn't planning for the future... they arn't sposed to be!

Call me a simplton, but i take great pleasure in driving my EK1, and will contine to do so, stock, budget mods or $30,000 worth of mods.

I started this topic to see what mods I could get for cheap, to make my civic more responsive, run cleaner and happier, and maybe a fraction faster.

I did this, knowing full well, that after uni, once i have money and can legaly boost, I will remove these mods and continue on with my plan...

All credit to you for commitment with the 2.5in mandrel system, but I feel like a little bit of enjoyment now traded for a bit more money and work down the road is worth it for me.

Funny... I always thought it was about enjoyment...

MWAKU
13-05-2009, 07:49 PM
mate there engines are single cam D series they cant put ITR heads on it

err i think he just read the title EK4, as allan had EK4 before..

had to read numerous posts to realise it was a EK1 -_-

rbk_212
13-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Im sory, but no it dosn't... and if you had really read what i was saying and what i mean you wouldn't have said anything of the things you said today.

I am at uni... i am also a p plater... I have a small amout of disposable income. Therefore, i cant boost, i cant engine swap, and i cant do a lot of modding. What I can do is give myself a bit of gain, just to make my enjoyment of my little EK1 better.

I have done my research, I have a plan, and i know what I want (as i clearly listed in an earlier post). I fully realise the money and the effort i will have to put into my EK1 to get it where i want. But most importaintly, i realise that the mods i am looking at arn't planning for the future... they arn't sposed to be!

Call me a simplton, but i take great pleasure in driving my EK1, and will contine to do so, stock, budget mods or $30,000 worth of mods.

I started this topic to see what mods I could get for cheap, to make my civic more responsive, run cleaner and happier, and maybe a fraction faster.

I did this, knowing full well, that after uni, once i have money and can legaly boost, I will remove these mods and continue on with my plan...

All credit to you for commitment with the 2.5in mandrel system, but I feel like a little bit of enjoyment now traded for a bit more money and work down the road is worth it for me.

Funny... I always thought it was about enjoyment...

see dsp26^^^^

not everyone is out to make a really quick car or has some master build plan, some people just want to make their car abit more enjoyable to drive in the present.

and even if his car doesnt get much faster, he'll still enjoy the car much more than when it was stock, coz he'll feel involved with the car because hes done something

as he ivan said, its about enjoyment

rbk_212
13-05-2009, 08:07 PM
err i think he just read the title EK4, as allan had EK4 before..

had to read numerous posts to realise it was a EK1 -_-

you shouldnt post in a thread you havent even bothered to read,

besides it was a stupid post anyway, like headwork, CTR pistons and all that are "low end" modifications, as per the title

crazy.ivan
13-05-2009, 08:26 PM
see dsp26^^^^

not everyone is out to make a really quick car or has some master build plan, some people just want to make their car abit more enjoyable to drive in the present.

and even if his car doesnt get much faster, he'll still enjoy the car much more than when it was stock, coz he'll feel involved with the car because hes done something

Thank you rbk_212 :D. You know where im coming from. :D

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 09:11 PM
see dsp26^^^^

he says he has no plan, then says when he is off his p's and finished uni or whatever, wants to turbo it. isnt he just contradicting himself. if he wants to turbo, why waste money on i/h/e, when those mods arent going to do much for him, and will only need to be changed. not like he will be able to make any money back from those mods.

want to make it a more enjoyable ride, do some other mods.
stereo, suspension, some nice wheels, im sure you can enjoy that.
that way you still feel like your putting some work into your car.

no need to have a go at dsp. like he said we are only here to help, so chillax ay.

bottom line all he is saying, from personal experiences, to save money, and spend it on something worthwhile. whether i/h/e is worthwhile to ivan, thats his call, but all dsp was giving was an opinion. if he didnt want an opinion he shouldnt have started the thread.

rbk_212
13-05-2009, 09:25 PM
^^sorry i didnt mean to sound like i was having a go at dsp26

i just wanted to point out that there are other ways to enjoy a car other than getting it to make massive power

CRXDEL501
13-05-2009, 09:31 PM
^^sorry i didnt mean to sound like i was having a go at dsp26

i just wanted to point out that there are other ways to enjoy a car other than getting it to make massive power

like i said, there are other mods to look at, that may be more worth while.

no problem mate. :D

crazy.ivan
13-05-2009, 10:49 PM
he says he has no plan, then says when he is off his p's and finished uni or whatever, wants to turbo it. isnt he just contradicting himself. if he wants to turbo, why waste money on i/h/e, when those mods arent going to do much for him, and will only need to be changed. not like he will be able to make any money back from those mods.

I never said i had no plan... I clearly said a while ago i want to go to a b16a turbo, headers and exhaust etc...

Why waste money? coz its not a waste for me (didn't you read what i said?)
I dont plan on making money back.

want to make it a more enjoyable ride, do some other mods.
stereo, suspension, some nice wheels, im sure you can enjoy that.
that way you still feel like your putting some work into your car.

I already have a great stereo system and really nice rims (in my opinion), and have no issue with my current suspension.

Again... all this topic was about was asking for tips andtricks for cheap, low end or DIY mods that i can do to my EK1 (despite my typo of EK4).

Though all advice IS appreciated :D

rbk_212
13-05-2009, 10:53 PM
removing the intake resonator thats sitting the guard gives awesome induction noise, you can also modify the bottom of the airbox to feed some larger diamter pipe up there from the guard where the resonator is.
gives good cold air but keeps it looking nice and stock, doesnt require you to purchase a pod and keeps the factory tuned intake piping!

crazy.ivan
13-05-2009, 11:17 PM
removing the intake resonator thats sitting the guard gives awesome induction noise, you can also modify the bottom of the airbox to feed some larger diamter pipe up there from the guard where the resonator is.
gives good cold air but keeps it looking nice and stock, doesnt require you to purchase a pod and keeps the factory tuned intake piping!

Sounds pretty awsome, but i think i might go with that DIY intake setup... looks pretty spiffy lol.

Do you think that what you mentioned would give the same airflow as the DIY setup?

rbk_212
13-05-2009, 11:51 PM
umm the short answer is yes.

to be honest that set up that saikou27 is running gives good results, but he thinks the standard airbox actually gave the best results. it probably is owed to the fact that extending the piping like that screws up the resonance tuning in the intake, which is a positive for leaving the stock airbox in. but im no expert on harmonics and resonance tuning, its quite complicated.

many people in different cars have gone back to the standard airbox after having a different intake becuase in many cases the standard system is just better. For example with a prelude, a guy i know put a pod filter into the stock airbox with a air feed going up to it. he then went back to the regualr panel dilter and he swears that its hands down better.

what i recommend doing is just getting a better air feed up into the airbox and then getting yourself a good panel filter (like a K&N)

this is a multi part article on intakes, give it a read sometime:
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_1361/article.html
part 2 is on pod filters and modifying the airbox so make sure you hit that up too

crazy.ivan
14-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Sweet, thanks, i will deffinatly get onto that. I get what your getting at with the resonance thing too. sounds like a good setup.

CRXDEL501
14-05-2009, 09:10 AM
I never said i had no plan... I clearly said a while ago i want to go to a b16a turbo, headers and exhaust etc...

Why waste money? coz its not a waste for me (didn't you read what i said?)
I dont plan on making money back.

I already have a great stereo system and really nice rims (in my opinion), and have no issue with my current suspension.

Again... all this topic was about was asking for tips andtricks for cheap, low end or DIY mods that i can do to my EK1 (despite my typo of EK4).

Though all advice IS appreciated :D

dude, read what we are saying. ok its not a waste for you, all we are doing is giving our experiences.
you want cheap low end mods for a d series engine... dont do anything.
if you know your not going to get the money back and you dont care about doing pointless mods, then go ahead.

good luck with that. you wont get much out of it. with "cheap" "low end mods" for an ek1.

dsp26
14-05-2009, 09:26 AM
crazy.ivan: let's take a step back, and yes it is about having fun... but you cannot include that factor because it's a default measure with anything you do in life. i was trying to provide you with a sensible means to have 'fun'. spend money on bolt-ons that don't do much = win+lose whereas spend money on worthwile mods = win+win because win+win = fun + save money.

as crxdelsol501 noticed (which i didn't) you've gone around in circles a bit so i want to clarify for you your own goals.

but let me put it in perspective for you based on your own posts:

plan facts:
- $2k budget over 3yrs, won't have it all at one time
- AFTER finishing UNI (assuming 3yrs because you just started) you want a B16T/D16T
- want rims + fresh coat of paint
- mesh grill
- DIY cai + pod filter
- new headers (if budget permits) + the rest of the exhaust system
- pedals?

OK so cosmetics aside, this is what will your 'fun' look like:
- get an exhaust.. catback.. no more than 2.25 for the D16 = ~$400 including labour + maybe muffler
- CAI + pod = ~$100
- budget permits... extractors = ~$400 including labour and depending on brand.

There you go, the above is almost ~$1k.. but you can save money on labour by doing the full exhaust system at once and maybe get the total cost down to ~$800

BUT then you confidently stated you want to boost it after uni, which makes a B16T way out of your budget leaving only a D16T.

So we we go by Limbo's quote of $1500 + pleanty of DIY to save costs.
- $1500 for bolt-on turbo kit.. not overly hard to install the actual kit itself
- ~$200 for a dump pipe
- ecu + tuning = ~$1k if your lucky
- New exhaust system in maybe 2.5in because the 2.25 is no longer adequate
- Sell extractors + old catback at a loss + you obviously lose out on the labour cost

+ all your other cosmetic expenses. in the course of maybe upto 5yrs it'll all cost around $5k-$7k

This all = X amount of FUN
X = engine performance fun

Now heres another scenario for the above
- ignore all the pre-boost mods
- get suspension mods as previously suggested, nothing over the top like coilovers, maybe something decent like type r suspension plus swaybars, etc = ~$1k
- turbo mods above + cosmetics

This all = X+Y amount of fun
X = engine
Y = handling and ACTUAL driving fun
Cost = ~$5k for boost + sussy + cosmetics

Then heres another scenario.. go with Saikou27's idea of internally NA modding with mild cams that don't need valvetrain changes:
- I/H/E = ~$800 if you commit to it and do it all at once
- cams and headwork = ~$1500
- cosmetics

This all = X+Y+Z amount of Fun
X = engine
Y = handling
Z = cosmetics
Cost = ~$4k na engine + handling + cosmetics

OR maybe one other scenario for you....
- Do all your Z cosmetic mods and DIY intake = $2k and leave it at that.

when you finish whatever it is your doing at uni and your balling in a high paying job, you'll forget all about honda's and modding and get a 'normal' car. = WIN?

anyways all that was just a sample of the MANY possibilities, YOU have to decide now and pick one and follow through with it to make the most FUN with what you have.....

Now i get this feeling i wasted my time typing all of that and if you guys don't see where i'm getting at then i will never ever get involved with these noob forum threads.

just know what you want for yourself, and COMMIT to it if you really wanna have 'fun' with the car you have. others have kindly given many varying suggestions here... piece it together so you can have the most ROI on your fun versus expense... everyone knows you don't get your money back on modding cars.

anyways peace out... time to do some work.. at work instead of entertaining ozhonda.

crazy.ivan
14-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I guess I might understand the problem here... you seem to have it in your head that i am making a mistake with what i want to do and that i havn't got the experiance to see it...

But i see my option as much more feasible: Do a few little mods for up to $2000, then when i can legaly boost, and have the money, I can either sell my car and not have wasted money on future mods that never came to be, or do what i plan and:

B16a Turbo
Sparco racing seats
Re-upholstered doors
Mesh grill
CF bonet
New 16" white rims
Body work to look new
Fresh paint job in origional green (i like it :D)
Lowered 2"
New Disc brakes front and back
coilovers
Anit-sway bar
Amp, Sub, EQ added to my already $500 Stereo system
Chip and tune
And anything else i forgot to put down.

Im not a total fool... i do have a plan and know about the cost.

and till then, I want a few little mods to make my car more fun, regardless of whether i will make money back off them or whether they are forward thinking.

BUT then you confidently stated you want to boost it after uni, which makes a B16T way out of your budget leaving only a D16T.

How is it way out of my budget after uni? my "budget" will be close to $50,000.

I am not being unthankful, I do appreciate every ones opinions. but I dont like effectivly being told im a noob and i have no idea what im doing.

rbk_212 understands, and has been giving me awsome advice that i plan to put into practice. As a matter of fact, pretty much everyone up till now has been chipping in good advice... not trying to convince me that you know better.

crazy.ivan
14-05-2009, 02:20 PM
http://optionaustralia.onlinera.com/OA/Uploaded/AIS-HC9662D.jpg

Just found this on ebay, says it gives a 10-15 hp increase (clearly over-estimated).

But in effect, its exact same thing as the DIY set up mentioned earlier isn't it? Which would mean its not very effective.

Or would it be good because its a proper kit?

rbk_212
14-05-2009, 04:42 PM
for starters thats from option australia, who sell some dodgy shit, not all of it but some, secondly thats a short ram intake.

meaning that pipe sits on the throttle body and the pod filter sits in the engine bay sucking up hot air (not good)

the short of it is that what your running right now will give you more power than that

crazy.ivan
14-05-2009, 07:36 PM
lmao, thanks. I thought that would be the case.