PDA

View Full Version : need HELP! Stripped bolt removal! how?

EK1_D
25-04-2009, 10:13 PM
need help! i was taking out my seats from my ek and the bolt near the arm rest wont come off and i stripped the corners, what can i do to take them out? any tools,methods or a place that will take them out for me?

Scott.QQ
25-04-2009, 10:28 PM
If you are sure the bolt is beyond being salvaged. You could drill it out?

95civic
25-04-2009, 10:33 PM
You can buy a tool that will remove it for you if it is stripped, I have used one on several occasions, has little teeth on it that when you do it up it grabs tight and you can undo it...

EK1_D
25-04-2009, 10:40 PM
would u have a pix or show me how it looks like so i can get my hands on one plz

95civic
25-04-2009, 11:02 PM
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/images/small/boltgrip_sm.jpg

Get one of these.. they come in sets

bennjamin
25-04-2009, 11:11 PM
are ALL sides rounded ?
It sounds like you used a spanner , or a multi-hex socket to remove it and it slipped and spun.

What you need , is a good 6 sided (single hex) socket of the right size - place a thin piece of rag on the inside for that tiny bit extra grip - first spray a decent layer of WD40 or similar - let it sit and penetrate the thread.
place the socket over the rounded bolt head and slowly and firmly attempt to remove the offending bolt/nut. Should crack it and pull it free if not you gotta drill :)

Paul1985
25-04-2009, 11:58 PM
I have in the past when all else has failed and the bolt-head is beyond recovery used vice-grips. This will depend how tight the bolt is though. If it's real tight you will have problems.

Another similar way is to use a chisel and a hammer.

Id be trying the other mentioned techniques first though.

Sometimes if its real bad you can get the next size smaller socket on it.

Last resort would be drilling.

EK1_D
26-04-2009, 12:55 AM
tryed chisel and a hammer didnt work just f*** up more...i guess i need to drill it but i dont know how...

95civic
26-04-2009, 12:57 AM
start with small hole and get bigger???

lilwilliam
26-04-2009, 01:16 AM
mayb you could use a file and file the bolt back to a hex shape if u can be bothered..

hisoka
26-04-2009, 02:41 AM
mayb you could use a file and file the bolt back to a hex shape if u can be bothered..

was just about to say this.

takes a while but its good way. only ever done it once but

kcokla
26-04-2009, 08:23 AM
get a drill with a tiny drill bit and get into the very centre of it
if your lucky, your lucky, after the drill bit is in u can put it on reverse and itll take it out for u, otherwise work ur way up to essentially ur destroying the screw

ek4-guy
26-04-2009, 09:00 AM
before you drill i'd try cutting/grinding the head off as this will release the tension on the thread

then hopefully there is enough thread exposed so you can grab it with vice grips

EK1_D
27-04-2009, 01:57 PM
fanx for all ur help guys, 95civic i got the kit! just came out like nothing worth getting a kit everyone!

Eskimo_firefighter
24-06-2010, 04:34 PM
You can buy a tool that will remove it for you if it is stripped, I have used one on several occasions, has little teeth on it that when you do it up it grabs tight and you can undo it...

Sorry to bring this thread up again, i didnt wanna start a new thread. Can anyone show me a picture or give me a name of what this tool maybe. Im having the same problem. Thank you.