PDA

View Full Version : T03 for a B18B2

VTECnique
27-04-2009, 06:26 PM
So. choose 2 outta the 3

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

Cheapish & reliable. Daily driven, so not out to break or set any records. ive got most of the parts sorted, meaning i know what i want to use. however, which turbo to go with is proving to be a little difficult. I can get a T03 off an RB20DET, & i know alot of the rb20 guys upgrade to RB25 turbos, so finding one shouldnt be a problem. id be running this on about 8psi, & never go over 10psi on a stock motor.

Im not quite sure when itd reach full boost by, or its effeciency range, like when itd lose puff. so say itd hit full boost around 4000rpm, & started coming down from full boost at around 6000rpm. id be quite happy with that cause redline is 6800 i believe. any more info about this particular turbo would be great. thanks in advance...

Limbo
27-04-2009, 07:17 PM
its a bush bearing T28 Turbo in a T3 housing from memory.
Depending on how much power you want to make is now the issue.

With the low budget turbo, you looking at anywhere between 100kw to 130kw at 8PSI.
If you run 10PSI you prob make another 20-30kw extra (not these would likely be at the wheels)

Again the other thing would depend on what rear housing you had & your setup, but i hope that gives you some idea of what to expect.

Being a bush bearing it will spool abit slower & be slightly more laggy. If i were you i'd opt for an SR20 turbo, hopefully a ballbearing one. They are more common and the RB20 turbos are getting abit older....

btw.. it should boost earlier than 4krpm on a b18, somewhere around 3-3.5krpm

VTECnique
27-04-2009, 09:35 PM
a T25 may be a tiny bit small for my type of application. it would hit full boost much earlier too, but run out of puff way before redline. I read a post about someone using a T25 w/B18B, spooled up around 2krpm, lost its puff at around 5.5krpm.

Im also thinking about a T04E, TD05 16/18/20G or maybe even a T25/T28, but have to get them brand new, i just thought the T03 may have been a good idea. & 3-3.5krpm boost sounds very tempting.

Power, really, im happy with whatever i can get. 130-150kw sounds good. dont wanna go too much as itll still be a stock motor. 7-8psi everyday driving, but no more than 10psi if i feel the urge for more.

My setup i have planned:
Cast iron mani
FMIC w/2.5" piping
obviously a bov
DSM 450cc injectors with resistor box
walbro 255lph

unsure on exhaust as ill have to get a 2.5" downpipe cause im still rocking with ac/ps. & i dunno whether 3" press bent will be too big for this build?

ZeForce
27-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I would use a T28 with .64 exhaust housing or T3 with a .48 exhaust housing, with either a 50 or 60 trim compressor wheel

Limbo
27-04-2009, 11:06 PM
go with the 2.5", the 3" will be very hard if you still want a/c.
A T28bb will still pull fine up to about 6-7krpm. It runs out alittle, but not that noticable. I only upgraded cos i wanted more top end.
I was running a GT28r with a .64 rear. at about 130km or so you could feel it started to run out of puff abit. If it was a .86 rear i think it would have still been fine. T25 is too small, at the very least a t2560 bush bearing out of a pulsar GTIR.

but keep in mind that with the t28 i would have pulled low 13s if i could get my launch right. full boost at about 3-3.5k and instant response.

All depends on what you wanna get out of it.
You can always get the turbo and upgrade later down the track

a T25 may be a tiny bit small for my type of application. it would hit full boost much earlier too, but run out of puff way before redline. I read a post about someone using a T25 w/B18B, spooled up around 2krpm, lost its puff at around 5.5krpm.

Im also thinking about a T04E, TD05 16/18/20G or maybe even a T25/T28, but have to get them brand new, i just thought the T03 may have been a good idea. & 3-3.5krpm boost sounds very tempting.

Power, really, im happy with whatever i can get. 130-150kw sounds good. dont wanna go too much as itll still be a stock motor. 7-8psi everyday driving, but no more than 10psi if i feel the urge for more.

My setup i have planned:
Cast iron mani
FMIC w/2.5" piping
obviously a bov
DSM 450cc injectors with resistor box
walbro 255lph

unsure on exhaust as ill have to get a 2.5" downpipe cause im still rocking with ac/ps. & i dunno whether 3" press bent will be too big for this build?

VTECnique
28-04-2009, 06:40 AM
yeah thats what i was thinking, if i can get the T03 at a good price, & if i dont like it, i could always sell it & try another. i know the T03 may run out of puff, but as long as im still in boost til redline, it will do me fine. its the quick spool up & yes, response im after.

Aza
28-04-2009, 09:25 AM
i used a RB20 turbo on my old d series turbo.... made 108kw's on 5 psi. only cost me 150$ to, ha was a good cheap option! should be able to make alot more on a B18B

also 2.5" dump pipe is the largest u can get out of the T3 housing. here are pictures of mine. no way u could get a 3" out of that flange! i had 2.5" dump pipe into 3" exhuast

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/Aza_LN46/ex005.jpg

lookingforboost
28-04-2009, 11:30 PM
as said its basically a T28 turbo and the RB25 version are slightly bigger on a B18 you will see boost at about 3800 and it will pull all the way to redline on that little motor no worries.
problems are they are bush bearing which is ok becaue they are cheap to rebuild but they have a ceramic turbine wheel and are highly prone to failure once the boost is wound up or under high heat, and the rear turbine wheel will literaly fall off and shatter to peices ( i have half a wheel on my desk from one atm ) :P it is well known that pushing these past 12psi is a no no and will drastically reduce there service life. i know you said you will be running low boost but how can you assure the condition off a used turbo and the last thing you want is it to fail after a month.
You will have to rotate the front and rear housing on it to suit your car as well.
i would recommend a GT28R turbo they are rated at 320hp ball bearing and have a steel wheel quick to spool up and will make full boost by about 3000rpm on your motor mabe quicker due to the higher compression.
as only a guide these with a tune and other mods on SR20 in silvias are consistantly getting around 200KWATWs so you wont have to upgrade.
I have a 1000km old GT28R dual ball bearing turbo i am selling as well :P

Hope that helps you

VTECnique
30-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Aza - i was actually trying to find info on your setup as i know you used a T03 turbo.

lookingforboost - For now, im going to stick with the T03, so i can get a feel of forced induction, because i know i can get one for cheap, if im not happy i will be upgrading to a T04E. i dont plan to go passed 10psi, 8psi will be daily.

lookingforboost
30-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Aza - i was actually trying to find info on your setup as i know you used a T03 turbo.

lookingforboost - For now, im going to stick with the T03, so i can get a feel of forced induction, because i know i can get one for cheap, if im not happy i will be upgrading to a T04E. i dont plan to go passed 10psi, 8psi will be daily.

if you can look for a RB25 turbo off a series 2 skyline they are the better of the bunch and you wont run out of puff with one thats for sure.

just make sure the one you look at dosent have end float little bit of shaft play is ok though long as the turbine wheels dont touch the housings :thumbsup:

VTECnique
02-05-2009, 08:21 AM
cool, thanks for the info mate. you can get a rebuild kit for the T03? I think ill have a bit of trouble looking for an RB25 turbo, i know alot of the RB20 guys upgrade there turbos to the RB25 unit.

nd55
04-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Nissan skyline turbos are a Garret T3 clone, made by Hitachi, I believe.

There is an identifying casting mark 45V1, 45V2, 45V3 & 45V4.

There's also a slightly smaller model used on RB20DET's which contains '16' in there somewhere. Don't remember the details.

45V4 is rare, or so I've read and I don't have any details.

45V3 is the grand daddy. RB25DET, ceramic turbine for quick spool.

45V1 & 45V2 aren't too much different and if cheap and in good condition I'd definitely grab.

The Pulsar GTiR uses a T28 with a .84 turbine housing is also a good pick, but rarer and $$$.

S14 & S15 turbos are a bit more common, a little smaller the the 45v3 but probably plenty for the application.

Both the 45VX and T28's use a 60mm compressor wheel.

One of the best turbo compressor map tools

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml

Nick.

FastFwd
04-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Im selling a Gt28r which is the s15 turbo if your interested

ZeForce
04-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Nissan skyline turbos are a Garret T3 clone, made by Hitachi, I believe.

There is an identifying casting mark 45V1, 45V2, 45V3 & 45V4.

There's also a slightly smaller model used on RB20DET's which contains '16' in there somewhere. Don't remember the details.

45V4 is rare, or so I've read and I don't have any details.

45V3 is the grand daddy. RB25DET, ceramic turbine for quick spool.

45V1 & 45V2 aren't too much different and if cheap and in good condition I'd definitely grab.

The Pulsar GTiR uses a T28 with a .84 turbine housing is also a good pick, but rarer and $$$.

S14 & S15 turbos are a bit more common, a little smaller the the 45v3 but probably plenty for the application.

Both the 45VX and T28's use a 60mm compressor wheel.

One of the best turbo compressor map tools

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml

Nick.

Good info here and just to clarify the older T28's use a T3 60 trim compressor with a T25 turbine