PDA

View Full Version : insurance

jt2k
27-04-2009, 08:00 PM
hey i was looking into doing some body work/lowering on my car im with AAMI at the moment, and was wondering if they would charge me more on my premiums or wont insure me at all?

OMG.JAI xD
27-04-2009, 08:43 PM
They would charge you more.
But you have to tell them

Cause if you get into an accident and they inspect your car and those parts have not been notified of. They will not pay you.

Be 100% truthful to insurance companies. Misspelling your name could even dismiss your claim.

tony1234
28-04-2009, 08:03 AM
hey i was looking into doing some body work/lowering on my car im with AAMI at the moment, and was wondering if they would charge me more on my premiums or wont insure me at all?
I'm with AAMI and i've got Bilstein/Eibach setup with approx.35mm drop.just told them.no problem no extra charge either.Not sure about bodywork though.

oongie
28-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Generally to cover aftermarket parts the you woudl increase the agreed value i.e. base cost of car + cost of parts therefore premiums go up. As stated above if you do anything to the car you need to tell your insurance company whether you want the aftermarket parts/work covered or not, that is up to you.

NRMA is a bit more flexible in this instance where you choose the agreed value including any aftermarket parts.

my 2c though

Crapdaz
28-04-2009, 12:25 PM
as above, NRMA agrees to your modded value.

only thing with NRMA if you go lower than stock height by more 30mm then you are not covered.

jt2k
28-04-2009, 12:53 PM
ahhh icic so if i lower it shouldnt cause any problems ey

Crapdaz
28-04-2009, 01:14 PM
30mm is your limit from your stock height assuming your with NRMA.
which is equivalent to 1 fist height from tyre surface to fender.

jyh888
28-04-2009, 03:44 PM
30mm is your limit from your stock height assuming your with NRMA.
which is equivalent to 1 fist height from tyre surface to fender.

I spoke to nrma, and they said mods can be covered by adjusting your market value of the car and to avoid any refusals make sure the mods are legal within rta standards and regarding suspension they said as long as it is not below 10mm it is fine. they never mentioned anything about 30mm below stock height, although everyone from nrma seems to say different things...did u increase ur value for ur mods daz??

Crapdaz
28-04-2009, 03:49 PM
yeh i did

i ask them specifically is there a certain height you can drop the car and they said no more than 30mm from stock ride height and will be void if found out.

adhunt99
28-04-2009, 08:12 PM
They would charge you more.
But you have to tell them

Cause if you get into an accident and they inspect your car and those parts have not been notified of. They will not pay you.

Be 100% truthful to insurance companies. Misspelling your name could even dismiss your claim.

You're right about being truthful, but AAMI are pretty good. Misspelling your name (who'd do that??!) wouldn't be enough to dismiss a claim.

Crapdaz
28-04-2009, 08:38 PM
only bad thing is aami is sh1t house when it does come to claims.....

jyh888
28-04-2009, 09:07 PM
yeh i did

i ask them specifically is there a certain height you can drop the car and they said no more than 30mm from stock ride height and will be void if found out.

Lol i think most people who have lowered their euros definately done more than 30mm...and i dont get how the insurance works, if u increase ur market value its only beneficial when ur car is written off...when u claim and say ur coilovers were damaged, they wont replace it

jyh888
28-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Lol its also gona be a b!tch for claim assessments as we have to raise the height again and lower it when its done

Min988
28-04-2009, 09:36 PM
If you AAMI then your in the same boat as me, all my mods are covered under my policy, ring them and they'll tell you that modding is all sweet. I've lowered my car by 4cms, with no issues/extra charges with AAMI.

sassy_fit_vtit
28-04-2009, 09:43 PM
easy and most correct answer would be calling them up and asking them and running through all the hypertheical questions. each insurer is different and everyones cover and circumstances are different, if u call them you'd get a more personalised answer based on your circumstances

SPQR
28-04-2009, 10:12 PM
I can't believe that you would just call them and tell them. What record is there of your call to them? They could conveniently "forget" that you called and then deny your claim.

I always write to my insurance company/broker and get the change acknowledged on the policy schedule. I ask them to send out a new schedule each time I make a change/mod.

You guys/gals are too trusting of insurance companies: Remember, they are just a legalised protection racket!

adhunt99
28-04-2009, 10:22 PM
only bad thing is aami is sh1t house when it does come to claims.....

I found them to be really good when I had a claim years ago...

Crapdaz
29-04-2009, 10:23 AM
not for my sister when she had to claim.
trying to fk her over....

sash_euro
29-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Whats their policy on tinting? rekon they would refuse a claim for tinting?

Current law in SA is 70 at front 2 and 35 back 2 and rear.

I got 35 on all 5. Opinions?

adhunt99
29-04-2009, 06:36 PM
not for my sister when she had to claim.
trying to fk her over....

Yeah? Care to share the story?

tony1234
29-04-2009, 07:36 PM
I found them to be really good when I had a claim years ago...
Me too.

Crapdaz
30-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah? Care to share the story?
only reason to be is that
1. In the course of the accident they tried to blame her for the wrong when she was in the outter lane on the roundabout (turning right), the lady in the inner went straight smashed her right rear fender.
NOTE: Both lanes on the roundabout can turn right, so inner lane lady was at fault.

2. Took all photos to show them that she was in the right, but they still didn't believe her.

3. Finally had the RTA manual printed photos of the pages that shows that the person at fault was really at fault.

4. Ended up getting a total ride off when most of the car was repairable. No sussy damage.

clayton4115
30-04-2009, 11:48 AM
here it states to stay in the right lane when turning right.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/roundabouts.html

Crapdaz
30-04-2009, 12:59 PM
What i am saying is.

1. 2lane roundabout, both lanes can turn right.
2. sister on outer lane turning right.
3. inner lane lady went straight = coliding with my sister. <-- her at fault

i know what you mean but if 2 lanes are allowed to turn right (marked on the lanes) then she has the right of way, another thing the right lane which is the inner lane only allows to go RIGHT ONLY and the lady went straight into my sister.

As the lane my sister was in was marked LEFT/STRAIGHT/RIGHT and the lady's lane was RIGHT.

clayton4115
30-04-2009, 02:22 PM
yes daz if two lanes are marked with right arrow then she has right of way to turn right from the left lane.

Crapdaz
30-04-2009, 02:57 PM
yes daz if two lanes are marked with right arrow then she has right of way to turn right from the left lane.
that's why it comes to the fact where AAMI just tried to fob it off as my sis fault, thus why my sister refused to go back with aami.

adhunt99
01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
As the lane my sister was in was marked LEFT/STRAIGHT/RIGHT and the lady's lane was RIGHT.

That's the key bit there, the other person was in a turn right only lane and went straight.

bbell
06-05-2009, 11:37 AM
If you AAMI then your in the same boat as me, all my mods are covered under my policy, ring them and they'll tell you that modding is all sweet. I've lowered my car by 4cms, with no issues/extra charges with AAMI.

I am also with AAMI and lowred my Euro without having to pay extra. If they know about it they are fine.

Min988
10-06-2009, 03:45 PM
AAMI just increased my premium for this year! from 780 to 929! I don't even know what for :S, shopping for quotes has all car insurance premiums increased or something?!

JN7
10-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Just got a quote from JustCar.. around 2.5k per year with $500 excess. With bodykit, rims and coilovers.
Anyone with Just Car?

dtngo
10-06-2009, 04:47 PM
I pay $542/year with the AAMI flexi premium of $2k. Otherwise it was $1k with a $600 excess.

sassy_fit_vtit
10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
AAMI just increased my premium for this year! from 780 to 929! I don't even know what for :S, shopping for quotes has all car insurance premiums increased or something?!

The drastic price range might be caused by increase in claims in your general area, overall cost of insurance has risen (i.e. government taxes and stamp duty and rise of cost to do business), increase of claims involving your type of car or your age, recooping cost from major disasters, depending on your age and gender there are fluctuations in pricing index. This is assuming that all else has stayed the same like your garage location, claim history and also licencing history.

Keep inmind that AAMI is apart of suncorp and includes brands like Suncorp and GIO which took a major beatting over the last 6mths with 2 major floods in qld, 1 major flood in northen nsw, bushfires in VIC and a few hale storms in the mix, so this would have a dramatic effect on the insurance industry in general.

crunkman99
10-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Whats their policy on tinting? rekon they would refuse a claim for tinting?

Current law in SA is 70 at front 2 and 35 back 2 and rear.

I got 35 on all 5. Opinions?

im not sure about windows, but if you tint your tail lights or brake lights you get fkd over becsaue they say the other cars coudlnt see you braking.

how long have you had your euro for?

Ken-f
24-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey,

I'm just about to put a CAI on my euro today so i decided to call AAMI first, so when they asked for a modification, i told them, but the closest option was an 'air filter modification'....which i guess it is. The lady on the phone said, as long as its approved by qld transport, it was fine. I went onto the website and downloaded the modifications brochure and it said nothing about intake systems. However, it said under 'minor modifications' stuff like exhaust, lowering, headers, etc etc. I then went and downloaded a 'motor vehicle modification application' and the only options are 'chassis/frame/body', suspension, axles, brakes, steering, etc etc.

So my question is, what did you guys insure it as, and does this 'modification' need approval?

Thanks

I also read "Many minor modifications can be carried out without obtaining written approval. Details of these modifications are outlined in section one of the booklet." Would this mean, i need not get any approval at all? The only issue is it wasn't listed there a a modification.....but those mods included exhausts. So I should be right in assuming it wont need approval right?

akina
24-06-2009, 10:28 AM
In the boxes that you need to tick should be under 'Intake' and a CAI is illegal since it is a pod therefore AAMI wouldn't cover you if anything happens.

But my cousin still got covered when his celica got write-off and he had a exposed SRI and never mentioned to AAMI.

Ken-f
24-06-2009, 10:55 AM
but the pod isn't in the 'engine bay' right? isnt it just behind teh bumper?

Oh yea anyone in QLD know about it?

The X Man
24-06-2009, 05:16 PM
I just paid $595.00 for my renewal with the RAA and that includes the Modulo body kit, reversing sensors and window tint. They have also covered it for exactley what i paid for it new! Excess is just $250.00 (Rating 1 for life).

adhunt99
24-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey,

I'm just about to put a CAI on my euro today so i decided to call AAMI first, so when they asked for a modification, i told them, but the closest option was an 'air filter modification'....which i guess it is. The lady on the phone said, as long as its approved by qld transport, it was fine. I went onto the website and downloaded the modifications brochure and it said nothing about intake systems. However, it said under 'minor modifications' stuff like exhaust, lowering, headers, etc etc. I then went and downloaded a 'motor vehicle modification application' and the only options are 'chassis/frame/body', suspension, axles, brakes, steering, etc etc.

So my question is, what did you guys insure it as, and does this 'modification' need approval?

Thanks

I also read "Many minor modifications can be carried out without obtaining written approval. Details of these modifications are outlined in section one of the booklet." Would this mean, i need not get any approval at all? The only issue is it wasn't listed there a a modification.....but those mods included exhausts. So I should be right in assuming it wont need approval right?

I would write to AAMI asking the question, then if they say do it in writing they cannot later complain.

tony1234
24-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I just paid $595.00 for my renewal with the RAA and that includes the Modulo body kit, reversing sensors and window tint. They have also covered it for exactley what i paid for it new! Excess is just $250.00 (Rating 1 for life).
I wish i paid that.:(.I pay $820 plus $550 excess and i'm on max.no claim.The price you pay for living in Sydney.:thumbdwn:

Crapdaz
25-06-2009, 07:36 AM
I wish i paid that.:(.I pay $820 plus $550 excess and i'm on max.no claim.The price you pay for living in Sydney.:thumbdwn:
tony who are you with?

tony1234
25-06-2009, 08:20 AM
tony who are you with?
AAMI.I'm sure there are better insurers out there but they're not too bad.

dtngo
25-06-2009, 10:38 AM
That's still pretty good. A/S/L? lol (serious though!)

I was quoted $1100 by AAMI - male, 28, 2115, no previous history. I went with the flexi premium, so it's $542 w/ $2k excess.

Ken-f
25-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Woah. Thats crazy. I just did a quote online for myself only.
M,20,4109 and I got about 800+ No previous insurance. Just 'driving for 3 years' or something like that. Thats full comprehensive as well.

OH, but that was for 04 euro