View Full Version : power loss?

fabian0
28-04-2009, 02:40 PM
my ride: '98 integra vti-r (dc2)

mods: i/h/e

Intake: Custom SRI
Headers: X-Force 4-2-1 headers
Exhaust: Custom 2.25" catback with Tanabe Medallion straight through muffler

I had a VAFC2 installed and tuned and dyno sheets show 120hp atw.

with the engine rated at 170bhp, what else can be contributing to the power loss?

any other simple mods to recommend?

cheers

PS: when i had the dyno done, my car had a MagnaFlow High Performance muffler with 2.25" inlet and 1.34" outlet. Weird as it is, although it has a 4" huge muffler tip!!! That's why i had it changed to the Tanabe muffler but not dyno-ed yet.

FastFwd
28-04-2009, 03:04 PM
What engine fabian? b18c or b16a? and how much Kms on the motor?

Also you have to remember a 100,000+ km car wont have no where near its original HP rating as it once did from factory. Usually putting exhaust, headers and intake will bring it back to its stock hp rating.

fabian0
28-04-2009, 03:14 PM
What engine fabian? b18c or b16a? and how much Kms on the motor?

Also you have to remember a 100,000+ km car wont have no where near its original HP rating as it once did from factory. Usually putting exhaust, headers and intake will bring it back to its stock hp rating.

sorry i didnt mention that it's a dc2. b18c2 engine. over 170k's..

yea so with i/h/e done, what else can be done?

FastFwd
28-04-2009, 03:17 PM
yeh but over 50% of the people in here have done engine swaps.

I mean you can do alot of NA work to it but your still going to have to rebuild it to bring it back up to its original specs. I would say first get your exhaust finished from header to cat. 2.25 all the way through and do a major service. Radiator/engine flush, oil change, oil filter, oil breather, plugs and maybe some better iginition leads.

A good service can go a long way.

fabian0
28-04-2009, 03:38 PM
yeh but over 50% of the people in here have done engine swaps.

I mean you can do alot of NA work to it but your still going to have to rebuild it to bring it back up to its original specs. I would say first get your exhaust finished from header to cat. 2.25 all the way through and do a major service. Radiator/engine flush, oil change, oil filter, oil breather, plugs and maybe some better iginition leads.

A good service can go a long way.

yeap it's 2.25" all the way through. i think it's still got a stock cat. alot of difference with a high-flow cat?

currently with Denso iridium spark plugs. just had oil + filter change and coolant flush..

FastFwd
28-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Try to stay with NGK for plugs with honda as thats what they cam with and designed for. But yes if it has a stock 1.5" cat then i will say you will need to change that to a 2.25. Or do you mean a stock 2.25 as in just a normal cat? high flow does make a diff but not huge in a NA car.

VTECMACHINE
29-04-2009, 01:38 AM

Not true. An NSX motor, makes more power with an older motor (Obviously not super old, but from around 70-120K Km's). Honda made the claim, and BMI tested it, and it's true.

FastFwd
29-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Not true. An NSX motor, makes more power with an older motor (Obviously not super old, but from around 70-120K Km's). Honda made the claim, and BMI tested it, and it's true.

Ok dude nsx is a completely different type of car. they have been built to thrash and 70-120 thou isnt really alot of k's. Remember the this car new was originally around 100 thou in 91. So the amount of engineering put into this production line would have been huge.

but for the other 95% of people in reality more km's on the car eventually means less hp, this is common sence. A full service, tune and some cleaning up with bring it back up but it wont get it to its stock value hp.

dc5s
29-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Ok dude nsx is a completely different type of car. they have been built to thrash and 70-120 thou isnt really alot of k's. Remember the this car new was originally around 100 thou in 91. So the amount of engineering put into this production line would have been huge.

but for the other 95% of people in reality more km's on the car eventually means less hp, this is common sence. A full service, tune and some cleaning up with bring it back up but it wont get it to its stock value hp.

Agree, you can't compare the engineering of a NSX to a Vti-R, though I can see why you made the comparison. FastFwd is correct in saying that based on what the OP has given us, it appears he may need to do a full service, though other variables could come into play.

:honda:

45SET
29-04-2009, 12:55 PM
So car was dynoed tuned at 120hpatw?

Where did you the 170hp figure from?

CoupeTurbo
29-04-2009, 01:25 PM
stock flywheel hp ^, i would assume.

45SET
29-04-2009, 01:30 PM
If thats the case...

Drivetrain loss would be the main issue (As the 170hp is measured from the flywheel), and old age... 170k KM takes a toll on any engine.

FastFwd
29-04-2009, 01:45 PM
exactly....

45SET
29-04-2009, 02:23 PM
*close thread*

NEXT...

Type S Tony
29-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I am 45SET's puppet master!

45SET
29-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Get back to work fool!

Type S Tony
29-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I will talk to you **IN The THREAD**

fabian0
01-05-2009, 05:11 PM
If thats the case...

Drivetrain loss would be the main issue (As the 170hp is measured from the flywheel), and old age... 170k KM takes a toll on any engine.

so upgrading to a heavy duty clutch & lightened flywheel will reduce the drivetrain loss?

saikou27
01-05-2009, 06:40 PM
so upgrading to a heavy duty clutch & lightened flywheel will reduce the drivetrain loss?

no. a drive train loss is considered to be power lost in the gearbox and such. nothing can be done about it. you will always get a drivetrain loss. your car is fine. my advice would be to switch to a good cai and a high flow cat. often the cat is the most restrictive part of an exhaust system

connorling
24-06-2009, 12:15 AM
no. a drive train loss is considered to be power lost in the gearbox and such. nothing can be done about it. you will always get a drivetrain loss. your car is fine. my advice would be to switch to a good cai and a high flow cat. often the cat is the most restrictive part of an exhaust system

what he said.

the clutch and flywheel will loss power cost of the weight and the friction. also anything from the flywheel to the wheel, anything moving will "steal power"

so that is why we have lighten flywheel and lighten pulley.
less rotational mass= less power loss

Tegzieboi_BAR
24-06-2009, 02:24 PM
120hp atw is approx 85kw which is what u should b expecting... nothin unnormal... i been 2 a dyno day n dc2's with similar mods were all getting similar power. Obviously the K's r a factor and u can never really trust a dyno, im sure u can go alsewhere, on a colder day n easily pull another 10+ hp.

T-onedc2
27-06-2009, 02:59 PM
An SRI is not always the best for a dyno run so don't expect much of a power hike. Your figures are equal to a stock DC2 so don't be concerned. I've run 89 and 96 kw atw on different dynos which equals approx 120 hp atw.

The very obvious and only correct answer in this thread is right below courtesy of Paul.

120hp atw is approx 85kw which is what u should b expecting... nothin unnormal... i been 2 a dyno day n dc2's with similar mods were all getting similar power. Obviously the K's r a factor and u can never really trust a dyno, im sure u can go alsewhere, on a colder day n easily pull another 10+ hp.

koevi
30-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I've got a dc2 Vti-r done 210,xxx km's with I/H/E and a SRI and got 101kw atw...is that bad? or is it going okay?

saikou27
30-06-2009, 02:38 PM
I've got a dc2 Vti-r done 210,xxx km's with I/H/E and a SRI and got 101kw atw...is that bad? or is it going okay?

not bad mate :thumbsup: